Tokina 11-16 F2.8

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently purchased this lens. Ive not tried it anger yet and just messed about with it in the house. How do people get on with the focus ring lock? Switching between AF and MF? Its really difficult not to knock the focus out. Do people re-focus/check after switching it over is not an issue?

How do people get on with the focus ring lock? Switching between AF and MF? Its really difficult not to knock the focus out.
This is the push/pull mechanism for engaging and disengaging autofocus that we're talking about, right? In my experience it's quite hard to switch from one to the other accidentally. You don't say whether you're trying to screw in an ND filter or slot an ND grad into a holder, but IMO neither action requires you to push or pull on the MF ring. Maybe just a bit more practice?

Do people re-focus/check after switching it over is not an issue?
This is exactly what I used to do when I had this lens. I used to use AF and then switch to MF for taking bracketed exposures etc (so the focus didn't change between exposures). I found it a real pain because like you say it's hard not to move the focus ring while switching to MF. It was the only thing I didn't like about the lens. All this was before I learnt about back button focusing which is what I should have been doing.

This is when fitting slot in filters. My normal way of doing things is set up on tripod etc, focus on the subject, once everything is composed, lock the focus (switch), slot in the filter, manually set to bulb, and adjust the timings to suit.
With the Tokina, I think I will have to set up as above, but after switching to MF, in live view, zoom in and re-establish focus, then fit the filter and take the shot accordingly. I'm still only learning so not sure how back button focusing will work, especially once MF has been selected, and I certainly cant focus through a 10 stopper. Please feel free to put me right if I'm doing things totally wrong.

I'm still only learning so not sure how back button focusing will work, especially once MF has been selected...
It won't.

Back button focusing is an autofocus technique to decouple the action of focusing from the action of taking the photo. Normally, the way cameras are set up is such the autofocus is activated by the shutter button, so the camera will potentially refocus right up to the point where you take the photo. With BBF, you use the back button to autofocus, and then the shutter button to take the photo.

Back