Tokina 12-24 testing @ Whitby

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Decided to take the 12-24 out to Whitby to give it a testing session. Up to today i had only had the chance to take this lens out once, and that particular trip was a bit of a wash out as far as photography is concerned, mostly due to lack of inspiration on my part.
I have not added any unsharp mask to most images as i wanted to give an accurate representation of the sharpness of the lens to add fuel to the "which wide angle lens" debates.

Anyway, i enjoyed using the lens. One thing i will mention is that with a standard Hoya Polarising filter i got a tiny bit of vigneting, but not with my Pro1 slim UV filter.
Another thing to note is that with the lens hood attached, altering the Polariser is a right old pain in the butt (easier to take the thing off then reattach half the time, especially if you are wearing gloves).

Anyway, i have added some of the shots below:

I like the blur in this shot, never got anything close to that with the kit lens.

47779908-L.jpg

47779926-L.jpg

47779918-L.jpg

This one had to have extensive photoshop work! Cropped, levels and then lens distortion cured. The tower to the right was right at the edge of the frame, and as such was definately leaning, although this was nowhere near as bad as some wide angle lenses i have seen, and it was the only shot i took today in which this was evident.

47779952-L.jpg

More shots are available at my smugmug gallery here : http://slacky.smugmug.com/gallery/1030321/1/47779952

Overall feelings on the lens. Very sharp, very solid, minimal distortion, creamy smooth bokeh. I like it.

-Rich

really love the pano Rich, the others really show how wide it is too!

Yeah it is unbelievably wide!
The Pano is a single shot that has been cropped on the horizontal believe it or not.
The Face shot was taken at a shutter speed slower than i should have used at the focal length, so it could have been even sharper. Thats what happens when you have 50 school kids running around you in the museum bit!!

Was gunna take it out again today to get a "Music" related shot for the "other forum" (tm) monthly comp, but in the end couldnt think of anything to go to.
Was going to hit Chatsworth House and a take a shot of the "violin painted on a door" that they have, but i didnt think it would have the impact necessary!

Thanks for the comments.

Jeez, that's one sharp lens :smilenod:

Back