Tokina 16-28 and other similar priced wide angle lenses

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I've been thinking about getting a really nice wide angle lens to compliment my new D700.
I am quite taken with the Tokina 16-28. Has anyone had any experiences with this lens/or own one? I've read several reviews which certainly paint it in a good light but I find its best to find out from people who have used it day in, day out.
Also if there's any other lens that anyone thinks could be an option then please feel free to add your two cents as this is my first time owning a full frame body so a lot of the options that are out there are new to me.

Any advice and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

This may not be helpful so I apologise in advance, but I've 3 Tokina's that I use on my Canon bodies, a 20-35, a 80-400 and just bought a 28-70. The build quality on all three is superb, especially the 28-70. All are very sharp stepped down and pretty good wide open. Main problem I've found is CA which Tokina do have a reputation for but with the latest LR I've found it very easy to correct.

They are generally heavy lenses due to the metal construction which I like by you may not. I'm using them on 1D bodies normally and they balance well.

I've also found they are generally good value 2nd hand compared to SIgma and OE lenses.

Sorry I can't help you on the 16-28 in particular though.

A

This may not be helpful so I apologise in advance, but I've 3 Tokina's that I use on my Canon bodies, a 20-35, a 80-400 and just bought a 28-70. The build quality on all three is superb, especially the 28-70. All are very sharp stepped down and pretty good wide open. Main problem I've found is CA which Tokina do have a reputation for but with the latest LR I've found it very easy to correct.

They are generally heavy lenses due to the metal construction which I like by you may not. I'm using them on 1D bodies normally and they balance well.

I've also found they are generally good value 2nd hand compared to SIgma and OE lenses.

Sorry I can't help you on the 16-28 in particular though.

A

That's a great help, thank you.
I've actually been looking at the 28-70 as an alternative to the nikon 24-70 as that's a bit out of my price range. And just this morning I've come across the 20-35 and am very interested in that too. I love the fact they're heavy lenses and I've heard they are built very well as a general rule of thumb which is exactly what I'd want in my lenses. I've always wanted to own a tokina lens as I've always heard good things (well, certainly regarding the specific lenses I've looked into). From the reviews I've read on the 16-28 they all seem to say that it's pretty much pound for pound just as good as the nikon 14-24 which is a beautiful lens and high praise indeed.

I'm interested to learn more about the 28-70 you have. Is that a suitable option instead of the 24-70 nikon?

Last edited:
On the 28-70... Literally it arrived yesterday and I found it in the Classified section on here.

Here's my first post with it:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...6-2-8-just-a-few-from-around-the-yard.593908/

Just stuck it on and shot off a few without thinking too much to test it. My first impressions are that it is sharper than the Canon 24-105 L I have and has the advantage of f2.8.

Now there are a number of versions of the lens and I waited for a 2.6-2.8 version as this looked like the best of the bunch. Have a look here if you haven't already:

http://www.johncaz.net/blog/tokina-at-x-pro-af-28-70mm-26-28

There are other threads about the multiple versions as well. The main weaknesses appear to be at f2.8 at 70mm but I can live with that for the price...

I'll add to my first post when I've had a chance to use it a bit more.

Here is my favourite with the 20-35....

Blue-Field 1 by A&D D, on Flickr

Hope this helps.

A

There's always the Cosina/Vivitar/? 19-35 which is reasonably cheap. Not a fabulous lens but hard to beat for value for money and width on FF!

On the 28-70... Literally it arrived yesterday and I found it in the Classified section on here.

Here's my first post with it:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...6-2-8-just-a-few-from-around-the-yard.593908/

Just stuck it on and shot off a few without thinking too much to test it. My first impressions are that it is sharper than the Canon 24-105 L I have and has the advantage of f2.8.

Now there are a number of versions of the lens and I waited for a 2.6-2.8 version as this looked like the best of the bunch. Have a look here if you haven't already:

http://www.johncaz.net/blog/tokina-at-x-pro-af-28-70mm-26-28

There are other threads about the multiple versions as well. The main weaknesses appear to be at f2.8 at 70mm but I can live with that for the price...

I'll add to my first post when I've had a chance to use it a bit more.

Here is my favourite with the 20-35....

Blue-Field 1 by A&D D, on Flickr

Hope this helps.

A

That's a massive help, thank you.

The 20-35 looks fantastic aswell, lovely shot too :)

This has been a real help. Thanks again

There's always the Cosina/Vivitar/? 19-35 which is reasonably cheap. Not a fabulous lens but hard to beat for value for money and width on FF!

I hadn't thought about those. Thanks you. Something else for me to consider and anything that's got good value will always be a selling point

If you do decide to go for the Tokina I would make sure it's somewhere you can test the lens. I had one and it was terrible,I bought it from Poland because it was cheaper and had a heck of a hassle returning it.

The Cosina 19-35 is great for the price.

I'm currently using an older Sigma 15-30 and it's also a great lens on a budget.

In fact I've got raw files from the Cosina and the Sigma( from the very D700 you'll be using!). Fire me a PM if you want me to send you a few so you can judge the quality for yourself

If you do decide to go for the Tokina I would make sure it's somewhere you can test the lens. I had one and it was terrible,I bought it from Poland because it was cheaper and had a heck of a hassle returning it.

I'm currently using an older Sigma 15-30 and it's also a great lens on a budget.

In fact I've got raw files from the Cosina and the Sigma( from the very D700 you'll be using!). Fire me a PM if you want me to send you a few so you can judge the quality for yourself
Good advice especially if buying 2nd hand. I always get a range of samples at a variety of focal lengths and f stops. The 20-35 is not sharp at 2.8 but I use it for landscapes so it doesn't bother me.

A

Oh really? That would be fantastic, if you could fire me some sample images over that would be great.
I am very cautious where I buy my equipment from, I always like to either check it out myself or see sample images. Thanks for the advice, I am on a slight budget but I think I can get something pretty decent for my budget which is around the £400 mark.

Can I ask what was wrong with your Tokina from Poland?

Oh really? That would be fantastic, if you could fire me some sample images over that would be great.
I am very cautious where I buy my equipment from, I always like to either check it out myself or see sample images. Thanks for the advice, I am on a slight budget but I think I can get something pretty decent for my budget which is around the £400 mark.

Can I ask what was wrong with your Tokina from Poland?

It's focusing was way off ( well outside micro adjustment scale). I sent test images and according to their 'experts' they thought it was okay. I had a battle getting postage covered for the return.

Pm me your email and I'll send a few raws your way tonight.

If I was you with a budget of £400 I'd look for a s/h nikon 17-35 2.8. They are amazing lenses.

I have owned the Nikon 16-35 and 17-35 lenses previously. I now use the Tokina 16-28 2.8 and it is absolutely stunning, perfect focus and sharp wide open right through. I mainly shoot it between 16-20mm and I really can't say a bad word about it.

I have owned the Nikon 16-35 and 17-35 lenses previously. I now use the Tokina 16-28 2.8 and it is absolutely stunning, perfect focus and sharp wide open right through. I mainly shoot it between 16-20mm and I really can't say a bad word about it.

Fantastic. I now just need to find one of these bad boys. Hard to find and even harder to find for a good price

Back