Tokina AF 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a wide angle piece of glass for doing the following;
Urban wide shots (inc Skate boarding / BMXing)
Interior building shots
Landscape shots.

I've currently several pieces of glass, the widest being 24-70 which is not really wide enough.

Has anyone used the above, or has anyone got other suggestions. I have looked at the Nikon 12-24 f4 but think I'll have difficulty indoors as my D80 can produce fairly noisy pictures with the upper ISO's. Is there such a beast as a 12-24 f1.4 ??

Thanks!

Not sure there is such a beast (I'm prepared to be corrected though) but the Tokina 12-24mm F4 has had really good reviews everywhere and is the lens I'm saving for. I'm not sure its a fast as you need though?

Andy

It does exist and is a stunner by all accounts. I tried to get one a couple of months ago however it was not available in a Nikon mount at the time. All reviews suggest it is superb.

There is a review of the exact lens your looking for in this months Amateur Photographer magazine, its being tested alongside the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 and does pretty well. Sounds like a pretty good lens to me.

I was going to buy this lens from Ffordes a while back but they only had it in Canon fit not Nikon. I tried it on an EOS to see what it was like. i found it a bit limiting in focal length - I think it's the payoff for the extra stop you get. I ended up with a Tokina 12-24 f4 which was very similar indeed to the Nikon version but without the silent wave type motor. The Tokina's focussing runs off the camera body. they are an excellent lens and I reckon give the Nikon one a run for its money.

just found this that may do, but at £1000 it is a little steep!

14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR

has anyone been able to get their hands on one ?

I have two of them. Awesome lens. Ultra sharp, even in the corners of full frame, even wide open, even at 14mm. That's why it costs so much, I guess.

Best wide angle bar none.

Stupidly sharp, not really sure how they did this with a UWA but it is...

correct - but I wanted to get some different shots, but also use the glass for the other items mentioned. I don't want to buy a fish-eye as I think it'll be too limiting.

I agree with that. Some of my favorite skate shots of all time have been taken without a fish eye lens. More often than not if the compositon isn`t bang on with a fisheye it just looks wrong, and no amount of cropping will fix it due to the distortion. Actually, fisheyes are so overused in skateboard filming and photography...drives me up the wall. I almost wish that Century Optics would go out of business :)

I have an 11-16mm Tokina in the post at this very moment by the way - best thing on the market if you don`t need full-frame. I`ll post a review once it`s arrived and I`ve had a play with it.

Back