Tom Tom gets confused at altitude

Edit My Images
Yes
I was driving from Clermont Ferrand towards Bordeaux and using my Tom Tom to navigate. For a long time we were at altitudes of 2500 feet above sea level. Every so often Tom Tom got lost and did not know where the road was. I think this is because the software was written for people travelling at sea level.

When you're at 3000 feet then the calculations go wrong. Am I right?

Quite possible, mine insisted I needed to turn left when I was on the Pennines - shame it was a sheer drop on the left :LOL:

Edited to say, although I was pretty high it was not the same altitude as you!

Last edited by a moderator:
There were no drops on either side of this road, but every so often it would tell me to turn right in 80 yards when there was nothing but crash barrier to the right for as far as the eye could see.

The french supply dodgy maps to TomTom UK to kill British motorists :shrug:

Honest Mr Lawyer this is a JOKE (and a very poor one )

But I was in a French car, so surely another French rule comes into play. This rule greatly advantages the French at the expense of the English - must be part of the CAP.

When you're at 3000 feet then the calculations go wrong. Am I right?

More likely you had large rocks in the way preventing the GPS getting a fix on however many satellites it needs.

You can get aeronautical chart databases for Garmin 400 series and the Road/Fly Angel GPS's, so altitude is definitely not the problem, but not much help to a driver!

On steep climbs/descents you're going get erroneous groundspeed readings though.

Don't like sat nav, my sat nav is a 99pence roadmap out of asda.

My friend's sat nav told us to turn up a track in the middle of nowhere in north east scotland. We got a fab view of Balmoral but other than that we needed a landrover or a tractor to continue to the end of the track!

Tom Tom has sent me onto foot paths which it thought were roads. And up roads that don't go anywhere at all.

I remember watching some little obscure half an hour news programme thing.. and they were talking about sat-navs. Apparently there is a little village somewhere in England called "Crackpot" (seriously, no joke) and when put into the sat-nav, your taken right off the edge of a cliff and sent plummeting into the sea.

Fortunately no one listens to their sat-navs completely so those sent to their doom have applied their breaks before they've gone a-flying
strange eh? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The tomtom gets confused in Norfolk let alone at high level :D

Don't get me started, tom tom took me on a 5 hr detour through the alps and £40 in mont blanc tunnel charges. I knew I was in trouble when the road I wanted to drive up had a ski school skiing down it. That will teach me to blindly trust it, I think you need to have a general idea of where you are going with good old maps especially abroad.

Back