Tonight's Moon with a new lens

D

Dinsdale

Well, I finally got a chance to use my new 200-500 f/5.6 Nikkor. The moon was fairly full and clear tonight so I dug the kit out and did my best. One thing I wasn't aware of - I am now - is that at 500mm even on a tripod (Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre Q90 & 410 Geared Head) the mirror movement comes into play and visibly shakes the camera. The only reasonable shot out of the twenty I took is below. Full size available on my Flickr account. Apart from a little level tweaking and a touch of clarity in LRCC2015 the image is untouched.

Let me know what you think.

Moon 23-11-15-1
by Richard Walton, on Flickr

One thing I wasn't aware of - I am now - is that at 500mm even on a tripod (Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre Q90 & 410 Geared Head) the mirror movement comes into play and visibly shakes the camera. The only reasonable shot out of the twenty I took is below.
Crikey. I'm surprised that it's such an issue with a shutter speed as fast as 1/100th. But anyway there are two easy solutions, to save you wasting 95% of your effort:
1. Shoot in mirror lock-up mode.
2. Increase your ISO by a stop or two and use a faster shutter speed.

Crikey. I'm surprised that it's such an issue with a shutter speed as fast as 1/100th. But anyway there are two easy solutions, to save you wasting 95% of your effort:
1. Shoot in mirror lock-up mode.
2. Increase your ISO by a stop or two and use a faster shutter speed.

Well I always pooh-poohed the mirror shaking the camera thing. But, as I said above, my D800 (fairly solid then) was mounted on the tripod and I was using the remote cable release but as each shot was taken you saw a definite jolt in the image.
I take your advice on board and certainly give it a shot - no pun intended - next time I build up the BP's. (y)
Ta for the advice btw. :)

That's a very nice shot Richard, simple & straight to the point.(y)

George.

You need not only mirror locked up but electronic first curtain shutter to stop shutter slap from shaking the camera. Not much, but easily a few pixels at 500mm, and affects higher shutter speeds than the bigger slower mirror. This may be automatically selected when you raise the mirror in live view mode in the Nikon D800.

You need not only mirror locked up but electronic first curtain shutter to stop shutter slap from shaking the camera. Not much, but easily a few pixels at 500mm, and affects higher shutter speeds than the bigger slower mirror. This may be automatically selected when you raise the mirror in live view mode in the Nikon D800.

Thanks very much for the advice. I didn't think of using LV mode, that will always have mirror locked up, just need to see if the first curtain bizzo is selected too.

Back