[too] big smart phones

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
A very practical question. How does a man go about carrying his super sized 5" smartphone? With a protective case it's bigger than a wallet of full of pennies.

The SIII and Nexus 4 are pretty big, but add a mandatory case (the glass backed nexus {or the iphone4 with android} is just asking to be cracked) and they are in the league of a brick! They just wouldn't feel comfortable in the pocket any more, particularly while sitting. I've tried the belt attachement - but it's the same.

Any more ideas about carrying them around and fitting a car holder with the case on (in portrait mode)?

Never had protective anything on mine for those very reasons.
Never cracked or broke it yet in 2 years...

Touch wood

Ii have the HTC hd7. Windows 7 phone, tbh I'll never buy a smart phone again, just don't use all the features.

I have an iPhone and all I use is an anti glare screen protector and the official apple bumper case. Never had an issue.

It's why I won't buy those monsters. They look ridiculous, are still to small to read comfortably a page of A4 or most website thus one is still zooming in and out. But also my reach with my thumb is not large enough to type single handedly...

S3 no case just screen protector- no damage has been dropped twice though
What you do with your phone that it needs a case
Do you pocket it with keys loose change etc

Why doesn't a belt clip case work for you ... always have mine and generally don't notice it until I need my phone.

gramps said:
Why doesn't a belt clip case work for you ... always have mine and generally don't notice it until I need my phone.

Belt clip eek ;) functional granted, well if you wear the right trousers and don't mind your jacket bulging out, but looks wise oh dear.

Ps yeah yeah I know I am shallow ;)

Belt clip eek ;) functional granted, well if you wear the right trousers and don't mind your jacket bulging out, but looks wise oh dear.

Ps yeah yeah I know I am shallow ;)

"Shallow"! ... the stream's dry :D

A very practical question. How does a man go about carrying his super sized 5" smartphone? With a protective case it's bigger than a wallet of full of pennies.

The SIII and Nexus 4 are pretty big, but add a mandatory case (the glass backed nexus {or the iphone4 with android} is just asking to be cracked) and they are in the league of a brick! They just wouldn't feel comfortable in the pocket any more, particularly while sitting. I've tried the belt attachement - but it's the same.

Any more ideas about carrying them around and fitting a car holder with the case on (in portrait mode)?

You put it in your pocket.
Seriously. My S3 is the easiest phone to carry about because its so thin and because the edges are contoured, no sharp edges to dig in. Its easier to carry than an iphone for these reasons.
I've seen lots of people make the same comment as yourself but when they actually try the phones they are pleasantly surprised.

S3 no case just screen protector- no damage has been dropped twice though
What you do with your phone that it needs a case
Do you pocket it with keys loose change etc

It happens occasionally once in a while even if you are very careful about it.
However a bigger problem was the dust in the pockets. I have no idea where it comes from, but the desire very soon got filthy with some dust behind the LCD glass (a common but very annoying fault with that phone). I don't know if nexus is also liable for dust in the screen, but I really don't want to find out.
Dropping can never be ruled out either, not that I am not careful with things like that. **** happens

Galaxy S4 rumoured specs are 4.99" screen.

Galaxy Note 3 must be pushing 6"?!

Well I've got the original Note and yes it is big but you get used to it. I couldn't go any bigger though and if the next more is 6 inch I'll likely go to the galaxy S handsets. Even if they are 5 inch that would suit me.

I have no case or screen protector on mine and it is fine. I clean it and look after it.

After all, it is a nice HD beast of a phone!

I have a Samsung case for my SIII, it replaces the original back of the phone and adds a flip over hard screen cover that increases the total thickness of the phone by abut 1/16".

Protects the screen against being scratched in my pocket, which is all I need as I don't plan on dropping it.

I carry my S3 with a gel case in my jacket pocket then pop it out of the case for car use :)

brodit.jpg

Ps. The bulb has been replaced ;)

I've had my Note 5.3" smartphone for 15 months, protected only by a gel case on the back. I bought the case for a more grippy feel rather than for protection. As it is I've never dropped the phone and there isn't a mark on it. I certainly don't bother with screen protectors. I wear cargo pants and the phone gets a pocket to itself. I never expect it to share space with coins, keys and the like. Dust/lint do not appear to be a problem. On the rare occasions that I wear (tightish) jeans it will still fit into a front pocket and I can still sit down comfortably. Again the phone never has to share space with coins and keys. I'm quite particular about that.

I'm in no hurry to replace my Note, and it should last me a few years, but when the time comes I'd be happy to have a phone of similar size or even a little larger. I guess it's worth a mention that I use mine more for its "tablet" features than as a phone, so the extra screen real estate and resolution is of practical value and I care not a jot what people think when I do use it for phone calls.

I have an s3 with an otterbox defender case... stil fits in my coat pocker or my combats..

I did drop it down the loo tho... still works fine after a few days in rice.

iPhone 4 sits in my pocket all day, don't put anything else in the same pocket, but the screens unmarked after two and a half years. I wouldn't dream of adding to its bulk.

However the rear cover has minor scratches, but you have to look to see them. I'd rather have something that's slim and attractive all the time and 95% as good as new, than something bulkier and uglier most of the time that looks 98% as good as new when you remove the cover.

I have the S3 with defender case
And my wife has the Note 2 with commuter case
We dont have any problems fitting them in our pockets in jeans or combats

S3 with a flip case fits in my trouser/jeans pocket no bother at all.
The £2.99 case was well worth it when I dropped it down the stairs this morning, heard it 'bounce' a few times as it cartwheeled downwards. It was quite graceful to watch really especially as there was no damage at all :)

Get a manbag :LOL:

I have one but use it for carrying my mannuts...

I carry my S3 with a gel case in my jacket pocket then pop it out of the case for car use :)

brodit.jpg

Ps. The bulb has been replaced ;)

Sorry but those car stands should be banned. OK, the phone may be used hands free (but it's still a distraction...) but it could also be used using a Bluetooth arrangement. TBH, the same goes for satnavs - they all seem to give verbal instructions so why have a moving map to distract the driver?

same goes for satnavs - they all seem to give verbal instructions so why have a moving map to distract the driver?

You never used a SatNav? ... "Turn left" may actually be the fourth left 1/2 mile up the road! :annoyed:

Sorry but those car stands should be banned. OK, the phone may be used hands free (but it's still a distraction...) but it could also be used using a Bluetooth arrangement. TBH, the same goes for satnavs - they all seem to give verbal instructions so why have a moving map to distract the driver?

errrm that is not quite like that, but the positioning makes a big difference. I personally find that lower right corner very distracting as I would have to look down and away from the road. However they are perfectly safe right in the middle-left on the bottom of windscreen. I've never been distracted so far. This is where you look anyway, so you just need to refocus your sight for a fraction of second just like the rear view mirror (should that be banned too?!). Both take a tiny bit of space only - provided you drive a sensible big car and some "sporty" cramped bunker - but the benefits are invaluable sometimes.
There is nothing worse than some numpty taking multiple lanes, erratically swerving left and right, holding traffic just because they have no clue where they are going

You never used a SatNav? ... "Turn left" may actually be the fourth left 1/2 mile up the road! :annoyed:

exactly! How about two consecutive exits, or some small bend that satnav called a turn?

Mine gives me a distance to the turn.

The rear view mirror doesn't require a refocus, just a brief switch of eyeline.

FWIW, I can pair my 'phone with my car but I don't - I don't even like talking to passengers when I'm driving! (It's a sensible, big car - my wife's sporty bunker has me navigating rather than satnav!)

Sorry but those car stands should be banned. OK, the phone may be used hands free (but it's still a distraction...) but it could also be used using a Bluetooth arrangement. TBH, the same goes for satnavs - they all seem to give verbal instructions so why have a moving map to distract the drive
*snip*

1. It is handsfree (notice the microphone between the speedo/rev counter)
2. It's at the same eye level as the clocks so it's a minimal distraction
3. It is set to auto answer, audio is via integrated car audio
4. I don't make calls when moving but it has voice dial so I could, safely
5. The phone screen is on because A, Just been plugged in. B, I'm parked. C, it's still in the drive ;)
6. Map instructions are by audio, phone screen can be set to off / on for junctions & in all cases auto dims depending on light levels.
7. Speaking as a parent, it's much much much less of a distraction than kids (or good looking pedestrians ;))

My own gripe is santnavs at full brightness being used at night stuck to the windscreen, that must seriously decrease night vision :thinking:

Good! To all points Brian!

WRT #7, I always appreciate those "Baby on board" type stickers - they let me know that the driver is likely to be distracted and fractious, possibly (?probably?) with at least one eye on the kids through the rear view mirror rather than the road ahead or behind!

Good! To all points Brian!

WRT #7, I always appreciate those "Baby on board" type stickers - they let me know that the driver is likely to be distracted and fractious, possibly (?probably?) with at least one eye on the kids through the rear view mirror rather than the road ahead or behind!

unfortunately I know need....

"Drunken 20 year olds on Board"

:help::bang:

Make 'em walk (or charge them the going Taxi rate, including the puke surcharge [if applicable!])...

Oh, and to get back on topic, I use a Blackberry which sits neatly in my shirt pocket (on a lanyard since I dropped a previous 'phone down the Thos!). Neat little package which I use mainly as a 'phone and an e-mail retriever for several accounts.

I thought my Galaxy S3 was a bit "big" when I first got it but it doesn't bother me at all now and its great for watching the footie on at work:)

Back