Too blue!

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this is in the wrong discussion but I hope you can help or know someone that can.
I'm a very novice photographer and use bassic settings but one thing I could do with doing with ease is taking pictures of our racing pigeons. We have a photo box that we put the pigeons in to toake a photo but as you can see they are coming out very blue. We used to use a point and shoot Panasonic TZ20 and it was surprisingly good but that has now got scrated on the lens so have decided to use our other camera a Panasonic DMC FZ72 but I can't seem to get the settings right and trying to adjust them on the computer using GIMP is also proving time consuming. This is a raw picture took this morning (I know the head is out of focus) and as you can see it is terrible. For this picture I used intelligent auto plus on the camera and reduced the setting to try and remove the blue but as you can see it hasn't helped much. I have tried other settings but to be honest I'm stabbing in the dark. Another thing that doest help is that the box is lit by led lights, you can see the square reflection in the pigeons eye.
tooBlue.JPG

This is one of our better pictures but using the old panasonic TZ20 and a traditional light from above
youngMorstyle.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated as these images are what we put on our website to sell our pigeons

The camera could simply be getting the white balance setting wrong. I don't know your FZ72 but on my TZ70 I would press the menu button and look for White Balance on the Record menu. Try the Daylight, Cloudy, or Shade settings to see which gets the best result.

You might want to remember to change it back to Auto if you plan to take the camera out somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Yes that does make sense a bit as when I change white balaance on the computer, the image is improved but not good enough. I have put an A4 piece of white paper in the box an set the camera white balance to that, which again helps a bit

Thanks for the reply.
Yes that does make sense a bit as when I change white balaance on the computer, the image is improved but not good enough. I have put an A4 piece of white paper in the box an set the camera white balance to that, which again helps a bit

You should set the white balance to 18% grey using a card.

Compared to the second picture, the first one is quite over-exposed.

Obviously there's no point comparing the shooting parameters of the two photos, because they're illuminated by different artificial lights, so we wouldn't expect the shutter speed etc. to be the same. However the EXIF data of the first photo does say that the exposure compensation was set to +1 stop, which clearly isn't going to help. Was that deliberate? If so, why?

Compared to the second picture, the first one is quite over-exposed.

Obviously there's no point comparing the shooting parameters of the two photos, because they're illuminated by different artificial lights, so we wouldn't expect the shutter speed etc. to be the same. However the EXIF data of the first photo does say that the exposure compensation was set to +1 stop, which clearly isn't going to help. Was that deliberate? If so, why?

Oops no that was a mistake and I hadn't realised that! I'll change it on the camera now as I will be taking these photos for some time yet, thanks

Some LED lights can cause colour problems with some cameras for a variety of reasons. The best cheap and good colour lighting is old fashioned tungsten halogen bulbs.

Some LED lights can cause colour problems with some cameras for a variety of reasons. The best cheap and good colour lighting is old fashioned tungsten halogen bulbs.
Totally agree but not practical in our situation, it was a pain before but much better lighting now other than blue!

Back