Too "chocolate box twee", or not?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
What do you think :shrug:? Have I over-processed this?

Courting_at_The_Courtyard_01.jpg

I quite like the almost two-tone effect, but then nothing that I like seems to hitting the mark here lately (cue violins :D).

So, is this one any good :|?

(You're right, this probably is an attention-seeking post :naughty:).

I like the scene, and the composition but I'm afraid I find it a little yellow/gold and it takes away from the image somehow.

Also, i think I can see a little odd banding in the tree.

The couple make a great subject, and I don't mean to seem critical sorry. As I said, love the composition but the colours don't seem quite right.

Rob

I like the scene, and the composition but I'm afraid I find it a little yellow/gold and it takes away from the image somehow.

Also, i think I can see a little odd banding in the tree.

The couple make a great subject, and I don't mean to seem critical sorry. As I said, love the composition but the colours don't seem quite right.

Rob

Good point about the banding. As I said, I was afraid that it looked too over-processed, but I wasn't totally sure why (I've looked at it for too long now).

Anyway, you were being critical, but that's what I asked for and it helps (y) - so, thanks!

I would have cropped to the tree trunk as its wasted space of no interest, pity there wasnt a bit of colour or darkness to the sky, I had a quick go hope you dont mind,

Original Photo By Naboo32

TP_Edits6.jpg

I really like it, great composition:)

Thanks Suzi!

It didn't start life as the most promising image, I must admit :|. I'd just finished trying to shoot some sunsets over the lake and had taken all of the filters off the lens that I was using. Then, whilst cycling along the path, I saw this couple and took the chance to grab a quick snap, before they noticed me.

The original, as you can now see (below), was technically flawed, but I've tried to make something out of it :shrug:.

Courting_at_The_Courtyard_original.jpg

As Rob has already pointed out, even on this little .jpeg, there's a lot of banding across the sky area :(. Think I'll go back and have another go at PPing this, as I like the image itself.

Glad that you think it has promise too (y).

I would have cropped to the tree trunk as its wasted space of no interest, pity there wasnt a bit of colour or darkness to the sky, I had a quick go hope you dont mind,

Original Photo By Naboo32

TP_Edits6.jpg

Well Dave, that certainly solves the "banding" problem :LOL:!

No, I don't mind at all - I'm flattered that you took the time to edit the image and offer me some valuable feedback -thank you (y).

Yours is an interesting take. I tried cropping out all of the tree and all of the right hand side branches, but not a "Half and half" approach - might be a good compromise :thinking:.

So, taking on board all of what was said, I started from scratch this morning and came up with this more natural looking version ...

Courting_at_The_Courtyard_02.jpg

I did try the tighter crop, but somehow didn't feel that the central couple or the distant hotel stood up well enough on their own, to make for a "complete" scene. So, I went with the wider composition, which I felt was more understated and relaxed.

Then, 10 minutes later, I changed my mind again and went for a more saturated, tighter crop, to try and recapture some of the "wow factor" of my first attempt :D

Courting_at_The_Courtyard_03.jpg

I'm completely lost now :shrug:. Any comments?

Last edited:
Back