Too Close

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Not sure if I cropped this too close to the edge. I really like it but I'm finding many of my portraits are ending up like this at the moment. Probably another fad. A few errant hairs, but I can live with that (I'm just not good enough to get rid without making things worse).

Border is for print. Looks pretty bad on t'internet, but good on 13x19 with a black mat.

Charli
by Ian, on Flickr

I like it but would perhaps prefer the subjects left eye to be a little further away from the edge, particularly with the broad lighting and the very slight turn of the head in that direction... but that is really me being a bit of a traditionalist...

I like it but would perhaps prefer the subjects left eye to be a little further away from the edge

Thanks Phil. Nice to have it confirmed.

you can expand the canvas in photoshop
just search you tube

I think it's more to do with her head being too close to the edge. I'm not good enough to add that kind of space. In print, there's a much bigger whitespace, but the eye is still too close to the edge of the frame.

I'm no expert on composition but I really like it cropped in closely on the right. I would possibly have cropped a bit more off the bottom too...

Really like the Image.
That being said maybe if she turned her head slightly so you can see a bit of the side, this would move her eyes more towards the centre and she would have to look with her eyes at the camera which may change the result.

Back