Too many cameras?

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I get my Nikon D800 back from being repiared. That means i shall have 3 cameras Nikon D300-D800-D810 and only one pair of hands. My dilemma is do I keep all 3 or part with the D300 that has under 29,000 shutter actuations.

NuEhKCE.jpg

AS you can see it is not parting just with the camera but with the grip upgraded to take EN_EL4a batteries and charger and a 12-24 DX lens. as well and all he paperwork . Keeping it still has its uses with that lens attached so will have to think long and hard first before making a decision

First world problems eh!! ;) It's Christmas time, sell it and give the money to some DESERVING local charity.

First world problems eh!! ;) It's Christmas time, sell it and give the money to some DESERVING local charity.

in other words "er indoors". Seriously I don't give money to any charity as none give any information on what percentage goes into admin costs.. The thought of selling it to someone who doesn't look after it horrifies me.

Last edited:
I'd keep it Bazza, you wouldn't get much cash for it, certainly not what it's really worth.
My grandson ( 6 ) has claimed mine as his own and likes to snap away with a 35mm on it.
I'm going to keep mine for display if it ever croaks and like you say, it's always handy to have.

I'd keep it Bazza, you wouldn't get much cash for it, certainly not what it's really worth.
My grandson ( 6 ) has claimed mine as his own and likes to snap away with a 35mm on it.
I'm going to keep mine for display if it ever croaks and like you say, it's always handy to have.

That was what I was thinking. The whole setup easily runs into a four figure sum new as how I bought them, and now be lucky to get a couple of hundred quid or so for the lot. Those large batteries are about £100 each alone and the Nikon 12-24 mm dx lens over £900

Last edited:
in other words "er indoors". Seriously I don't give money to any charity as none give any information on what percentage goes into admin costs.. The thought of selling it to someone who doesn't look after it horrifies me.

Yes, know exactly what you mean, I have a friend who's wife works for a major charity, and the money they waste is ridiculous, flights/hotels down to London where a phone call would have sufficed etc. That's why I only give to local charities now.

I'm not sure I understand why 3 is too many.
I wont brag but..................
(maybe listing wasnt such a hot idea!)
to be fair most are very old and basically worthless but get rid of them, they are "my precious". :)

Matt

Last edited:
Matt you are a bit like me I love all my photgrapic gear or else I would not have bought them. This camera has travelled to a good few countries and left me with wonderful memories. Parting with this lot is like loosing a well love pet. Dropping the D800 was worst than a kick in the nuts

Last edited:
Yes, know exactly what you mean, I have a friend who's wife works for a major charity, and the money they waste is ridiculous, flights/hotels down to London where a phone call would have sufficed etc. That's why I only give to local charities now.
Charities break my heart. I have a friend with a serious condition who raised a shed load for the condition charity and they spent it on a new hq. My friend said she'd never give them another penny. Sadly there seem to be too many people making too much money and having too good a time "working" for charities, IMVHO.

And on the subject of gear...

All the stuff I've wanted to sell has eventually sold but not always for a lot of money so the choices are sell it or keep it but as selling may only raise a relatively small amount of money the questions are do you need that money and is the hassle of selling (tyre kickers, time wasters and people offering you half of nothing...) worth it? These days I think selling stuff is hardly worth the hassle.

PS.
I've just thought of another option other than keeping or selling... Give it away :D
I've given stuff to friends and relatives and back when I worked in computers I gave a lot of stuff to one of my former schools. Maybe giving stuff to a school or club is a good option? :D

Last edited:
I've never once regretted selling any gear. That included a D800E, which was the first 'proper' camera I ever bought brand new - and used for almost 5 years. I fancied something smaller, "oooh, Fuji cameras seem nice" done! I don't get attached to the gear, I feel I can get pretty much the same results with any system. I'd rather have just one camera and lens I enjoy using than 3-4 bodies and 10 lenses I might find a chore to make use of.

That is not too much, I have 1d mk3, d600, d300, d7000, x-t1 and did have a 7d and d90 and 6d, plus sold tons of others at some point

I used to have a D300, D700, D750, plus a Fuji X100T and a Rolleicord, and a Nikon FE/Leica M2 (may also have had a Nikon F80).

Sold the D700 and kept the D300 as only for backup and its not worth much at all. D750 is mainly for paid work and some personal use, X100F is now my 'compact' and only have the Rollei.

Mike

I got away from DX cameras as FX is so much better the lens mm is correct not a 1.5 times more with DX and the D810 can do both anyway

Matt you are a bit like me I love all my photgrapic gear or else I would not have bought them. This camera has travelled to a good few countries and left me with wonderful memories. Parting with this lot is like loosing a well love pet. Dropping the D800 was worst than a kick in the nuts
Ouch

Just got my Nikon D800 back and checked it out. Apart from what they said they would do they have even replaced the mirror which had a couple of dot scratch markes on it and also made sure the sensor was clear of any marks. .So all in all I can't fault the repair .
I hope admin don't mind me giving out the company details as anyone giving good service to cameras that members might like to know of

The company that did it was CPES combined Photographic and electronic services (europe)ltd ,Unit 87 bedford street,Shelton,Srtoke on Trenr Staffs.ST! 4PZ tele 01782 261286

The nikon D800 arrived back this evening from the repaires and what a fantastic job they did. Not only repaired what they quoted but the mirror had two small dot type marks so replaced it and the sensor is so clean I suspect that has been replaced as well. Can't ask for better.

Just tried it out in daylight and in my opinion it is now better than it was new. The colour red i always had problems with, not any more, and the focus appears to be sharper. i guess they calibrated it correctly not as how it came out of the factory.

This may seem a strange shot to take but the only red flower in the garden to photograph hand held. All the colours seem to be correct and also a lot sharper than ever.
This is straight out of camera apart from making it into Jpeg to post on here

1XWLK1p.jpg

Last edited:
The financial pain of buying a high end film camera that was four digits body only in 1993, and seeing that drop in value to almost nothing in age of digital, sort of makes the pain of a digital devaluing pale some-what, but...

Question shuldn't be what's it 'worth' but "did I get my money's worth?"

If "yes", then why feel guilty or irked if you stick it on top of the wardrobe, in the display cabinet, in a charity shop or even in the bin?

Do you keep ear-buds you have only used one end of, or expect some-one to buy them? Its not a LOT different.

As to sentimental value? Have to dsagree with Dave a little on this one.

My Olympus XA2 was my first propper camera; very mucha tool, it's much battered and abused, and has rather horrible scratch on the lens now. It sits on the shelf as a keepsake, and memory of all the places we went together in my youth.. its not worth repairing, and I couldn't bear to bin it, so what the heck?

Gifted so many other's over the years? I have the camera my Granddad used for his wedding photo's seventy years ago, as well as the one he took most of the pictures of my mother and uncle and aunts and even me, in our childhoods; I have the camera my other Granddad took his holiday snaps with when I was a kid; I also have my Gt Uncle's camera.. among the many.

Ignoring the fact they are camera's, they are all personal items of family members long past, ones I can identify with and appreciate, and occasionally use... I expect I will end up with a couple from my own Dad and maybe other's before my time's up, and that ultimately it will be down to my daughter what she does with them.... with chance that as a snapper she might keep them like I have, keep-sakes she can use....

If of course, she can still get any film for them, and electrickery in the widgetal ones hasn't died, batteries still take charge, and 'something' can still read the memory cards!

But I suppose many, may hold as little sentimental value to any-one, as the collection of cafe sugar-cubes my grand-mother left in her bed-side draw when she died!

WHY she kept them, is a mystery! She didn't take sugar! She was diabetic! But she was loath to throw anything away, and insisted, she had 'paid' for them, so couldn't just leave them on the saucer, and they 'might' come in useful!.... I think it must have been one of those 'War' things, that afflicted that generation..... But still.

Why you choose to keep, or not, a camera, or anything else, even a collection of cafe sugar cubes is up to you at the end of the day.

Too few is possible, enough is possible, more than enough is possible but too many isn't possible.

Too many could be a tonne of old s***y €10 film cameras you never use and take hipster photos of rather than with

I smell GAS :banana:

'Tis the season for sprouts! Luckily, I have enough cameras - possibly more than enough. Not too many though! :D

I’m thinking of reducing to three....one on each shoulder and one remote / backup. So no three is not too many :)

Sell the lot and get a Nikon D850 or Sony A7R III :D

It’s lenses I have a problem with not cameras! Only have the one camera.

I have the same problem.

Got a Canon 7d mkii, 5d mkii and a 700d.

Keep thinking I should sell the 700d or keep it and have the IR filter removed for astrophotography.

Mike

I got away from DX cameras as FX is so much better the lens mm is correct not a 1.5 times more with DX and the D810 can do both anyway

But keeping the D300 is keeping the DX and the 800 and 810 are not poles apart and owning a D500 I know that the D800 and D810 are not the same in DX mode by a long stretch of the imagination

Currently I have

D850
D750
D500
D7200
D7100
D7100
D7100

Last 3 months sold
D800
D300
D700
D7100
D7000
D7000

On the to go list is the D750 possibly to get another D500 and start getting more D7200s to replace the D7100s

Yes you can have too many, especially when there are others that are better suited to the task

Mike

But keeping the D300 is keeping the DX and the 800 and 810 are not poles apart and owning a D500 I know that the D800 and D810 are not the same in DX mode by a long stretch of the imagination

Currently I have

D850
D750
D500
D7200
D7100
D7100
D7100

Last 3 months sold
D800
D300
D700
D7100
D7000
D7000

On the to go list is the D750 possibly to get another D500 and start getting more D7200s to replace the D7100s

Yes you can have too many, especially when there are others that are better suited to the task

Mike
Mike do you want the number of my shrink ;):D

Back