Too many variables?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Howdo

A recent discussion about first time use of film/manual had a couple of posts from (Teflon) Mike about KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) which I agree with entirely. I didn't add this post to the discussion as it's not meant to be a critique but a light-hearted continuation - so go on, what films have you got in what cameras and how long have they been there?
I'll start:
Pentax K1000 - Lomo Redscale 50- 200 rated at 32 (?!) Forgot about this one. Unused film is dated 2015 so it's in been there some time
Voigtlander Vito B - Agfa Vista 200 - forgot about this too as it was a test film after freeing a stuck wind on mech. Maybe a year or so.
Lubitel 166U Ektar 100. How long have they been making this film? Can't remember the last time I used this camera.
The rest is not too bad; a Holga 120N with HP5 from a week or so ago and an Olympus 35RC with TRI X 400 rated at 250 and a XA2 with Vista as a test after re-doing light seals.

And next...

I'm doing fairly well for the time being. I have a Minolta XD7 with HP5 in from Jan or Feb, my Canon 7 rangefinder has Delta 400 in from April, Olympus 35 RC with Tri X from about 3 or 4 weeks ago and my Rolleicord has a roll of portra loaded that I've yet to start after loading it a month since.

It could have been much worse! Who's next?

At the moment I'm being good. Only one camera with film in, a Voigtlander vitomatic II with a roll of fomapan 100 in it.
I'm not one for leaving film in, I'd rather finish it off before going home. I also usually pop a sticker on the case as a reminder of whats in there.

I don't think any of my cameras have any film in them at the moment. I'm the same as Andy in that I usually try and finish a roll off before I go home. Although I mainly use medium format so finishing a roll of 12-15 frames is much easier than 24/36 in my 35mm cameras!

I have a lot cameras and I have about 5-6 at any one time with some film in. In as many cases as possible I try to finish a roll, but this doesn't always happen. I use an app called Film Trackr which has all my cameras loaded including the backs for different systems and this sits on my iPhone. I always know what film is in what camera and for how long.

https://filmtrackr.com

Nikon F100 with a roll of Portra 400 that I put in yesterday, Hasselblad with Acros since the Cornwall meet in May, Olympus Mju II with Agfa Vista since March, Voigtlander Argus with a roll of Fomapan 100 which I put in the camera about 4 years ago, Mamiya Press Universal 23 which has a roll of film in it but I've no idea what. I think that's about it but there may be others undiscovered in a box somewhere :LOL:

Nikon F100 with a roll of Portra 400 that I put in yesterday, Hasselblad with Acros since the Cornwall meet in May, Olympus Mju II with Agfa Vista since March, Voigtlander Argus with a roll of Fomapan 100 which I put in the camera about 4 years ago, Mamiya Press Universal 23 which has a roll of film in it but I've no idea what. I think that's about it but there may be others undiscovered in a box somewhere :LOL:

Funnily enough I was watching an ebay auction for a Mamiya 23 super, a funny looking thing. What do you reckon to them Nick?

Half way thru' Agfa Vista 200 in an OM2 put in last week..not my favourite camera for every situation but have a lovely Vivitar 24mm f2 I'm using.

At the moment, only my Olympus XA4 has film in - a roll of Poundland's Best that I took to a festival and didn't finish off. Hopefully this weekend!

I put 66 rolls through my cameras in June, but not a single one is loaded with film at present.

HUH! 66 rolls........and I'm finding it difficult to get thru' 24 exp..I've shot everything of interest in a 12 mile radius of where I live and need to go farther out.

Far too many. 3 Bronica backs loaded since last year. One with HP5, One with Velvia 100 & one I can't remember with what Might be 400H. Ektar 100 in a Nikon F2 & F3. Delta 400 in an F4. Vista or C200 in a Nikon F, an F5, a pair on OM1's & a pair of OM2N's, Minolta 7000, Praktica MTL5 & Nikon EM & FG's. Kodak Colourplus 400 in an FM2N, XP2 in an FE2, Porta 160 in an FA & I think a Zenit EM has a roll of FP4 in it somewhere. Most loaded last year. The OMs were loaded recently. Have an F2 & an F3 not loaded with anything as finished their rolls recently.

Tend to flit between cameras picking one up & taking a few shots before moving on to the next one so it takes me ages to finish a roll of film normally. Can't remember the last time that I shot a whole roll in one day.

Leica M2: half used roll of Tri-X
Minolta X500: half used roll of Vista 400
Olympus XA3: half used roll of TMax 400
Rolleiflex 3.5F: half used roll of Portra 160
Hasselblad 503: half used roll of Reala 100
Pentax 6x7: half used roll of Ektar 100
Mamiya 6: half used roll of Delta 100

Because, you know, different subjects, different light...

Last week I finished a roll of Delta 100, opened up the camera and discovered it was Tri-X.

It's good to have dense negatives.

:whistle:

Funnily enough I was watching an ebay auction for a Mamiya 23 super, a funny looking thing. What do you reckon to them Nick?
Great cameras that no self respecting film photographer should be without :D

Last edited:
The Konica has some film in it; that's the 'glove-box' camera, you know just in case I haven't taken one with me. lol. Gawd knows what may be on it.. that will be half the serendipitous surprise when get it souped!
The OM4 has a film in it.. its sat o the shelf in disgrace! I chucked a roll and some fresh batteries into it, for my daughter's school leaver's party oooh... two years ago now! Batteries went flat before the film ran out..... oh-no-not-a-effin-GAIN!.. switch to manual, remembered basic exposure, went to finish film, counter clicked ff the end.... Oh bugga.... either the film counter didn't reset when I put the film in, OR its not spooling.. could be the film has slipped, or that the film hasn't even been advancing, I REALLY am at my wits with that bludy camera and don't even want to look! ot much interested what might be on the film anyway.. so meh! I'll probably sort t one day!
OM10.. I actually like more than the four... and more, every time I use the ruddy four and modern mercury free batteries leave it a ruddy do-do! Its EMPTY! A roll of Kentmere B&W has been sat next to it for the last year waiting to go 'in' for me to have aother crack at the tri-chrome experiment... next to the Konika actually, retrieved fro the car glove box, about a year ago, before the car went to scrap, for the unobtanium of a 20p seal for the aster cylinder!
This actually has meant that I haven't gone 'done feux-tog-raffy' for a year or more... I am loath to try lugging the tripod about n the bike, and that's essential to finish the Trichrome experiment.. and I haven't bought aother car.... I have a classic Range-Rover, I had decided to FINSH and use rather than buy something else to stop me finishing it.... bludy Land-Rovers.. HINT dont fix'em! Fix something they just find three even more vexing problems to keep you scratching your head! After replaing a pair f rotten dampers, it resfused to start developing a bizare electrical gremlin that defies logic... I thik its been talking to the OM4!!!!
Both XA2's have film in them! The one the daughter nicked, appears to be 'full'.. and I just noticed it. Other I had just loaded at the end of a trip about two years ago, for photo-ops on the way home; but O/H's bludy guzzi popped its head gasket, AA man was unhelpful, so I had to tear home and try and sort out a half painted bike trailer to go get her..... NOT take snaps!
The Russian Brick AKA the Zenit, is empty; last used by daughter to dabble in film; subsequently used to show her things like 'shutter' and 'aperture' .. and besides, ruddy thing likes to give me paper cuts off its strap brakets! I would stick it n the tool box and use it as a hammer... b-u-t I have a peculiar affliction... sorry AFFECTION for the ruddy thing!
Sigma MK1.. my 'go-to' film camera, is empty! Was loaded with B&W, I finished off about a year ago; and left, as I had been expecting to go do a DoF exercise with the Daughter with it.
Pops Retinette? Empty.. mantle-piece piece! That one!
Minox C.. another mantelpiece piece... thnik it does actually have a cartridge i it though! As I recall I had loaded it, then every-one that spotted it, picked it up, opened it, closed it and wond it on without taking a pickture! So I just gave up on it, especially as the battery died!
Voiglander; my grandad's first camera. Another mantelpiece piece; put a film through it circa 1993, corrosion on the rollers scored it to bludgery, so ts sat as a display only ever since.
There's a christmas cracker/catalog gift 'plastic' panorama camera some-where; I put a rill through for the fun crca 2001... been empty ever since.
Ziess Ikonta.... is LOADED.. gawd knows what with; shows 3 in the window! I KEEP meaning to dig that roll of 120 out the fridge ad go use it.... b-u-t... never get round to it! Closest I got was five years ago when they had a "40's" event on over at the Battle line, and I thought it would be appropriate, but was vito'd by daughter!
Cant think of any more knocking about OTMH....

FILM: there's half a dozen rolls of ood greek olympic kodak knocking about, I bought about 5 years ago, for daughter to dabble with; but most sat the fridge! Comes out rather green. Not a nice emulsion. There's three or four rolls of Kentmere B&W knocking about, that I got again, for Daughter to try Home dev, and inspired the Tri-Chrome experiment as a good way to 'waste' frames shootng three frames of the same subject at each shot, to get something to soup for her! There's a roll of Poudland vista waiting for something deservant of it; and a few 'dregs' that have been left in the fridge from where I bought more than I needed for an event.

Using them? Yeah, well, somewhat lazour fair; I Dont feel the need to go take photo's just for the sake of any-more!! I have enough photo's I took for that reason, and most of them really dot interest me very much any more; The Trichrome experiment is a bit of a skew; its feux-tog-raffy for its own sake, but 'fun' trying to do something different; the DoF exercise I'd planed to do with daughter similar; the rest? More a case of am I going to do 'something'.. then, does that 'something' warrant taking a camera, then does that something warrant taking a camera AND is a film camera the more appropriate for that event.. like the 40's event I was vito' fro takng the Ikonta to, lol! XA in my pocket or the Konica in the glove box are there for the "oooh! I wish I'd brought a camera!" moments, like when I spotted a 1950's BW motorbike taking O./H to work one day, after discussing a similar old BMW shot on film on here the day before! A-N-D I have twenty years worth of film photo's to work through the scanner to get H/Q digital copies of them.... do I REALLY need to go take more, right at this moment in time, JUST to play with cameras?... trying to kill that elektrikal gremlin in the range-rover is probably more of a imperative.. but I am lacking the mpetus to even go try that... well, after six attempts and a dent i the drive from jumping up and down in frustration! Lol!

XA2 will go in my pocket, when I go anywhere; I will probably get round to tackling the Trichrome exp again; I will probably take one of the film cameras, likely the Sigma n preference to the Electrc-Picture-Maker, unless there's good reason for the EPM... b-u-t.. really don't feel much compulsion to go out and FIND things purely to take photo's of; cameras are my companion in travails, not my reason....

Not much for me at the moment... one of the MXs has FP4 loaded and nearly finished, and now that my Film Ferrania P30 should arrive soon has arrived, I'm gunna finish the FP4 pronto. The LX and the other MX are both empty; shot two rolls of Vista 400 in the latter over the weekend. Roll of Vista 200 (I think) in the mju 2 since goodness knows when. Any other cameras there might be around:whistle::whistle::whistle: are empty...

EDIT: the package of film I thought was the P30 was actually a 5 pack of Ektar.... which was BTW cheaper than the P30 will be!

Last edited:
Crikey RJ, I don't think I've used more than 10 all year!

HUH! 66 rolls........and I'm finding it difficult to get thru' 24 exp..I've shot everything of interest in a 12 mile radius of where I live and need to go farther out.

I assume you spent a large chunk of June in Japan? Three or more rolls a day? Adds up!

Yeah, these were all medium format rolls from our three weeks in Japan. It makes up for the couple of months earlier this year where I shot nothing because my wrists were broken and sprained.

Currently: Fomapan 200 in my Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex, Vista+ in my Olympus OM1 (both for my current 'roofscapes' project), Vista+ in my Kiev 4 for what purpose I cannot remember.

I have four rolls of mixed 120 films from my Bronica ETRs taken on my recent Northumberland holiday waiting to be developed.)

I did have 2 trips, the vito and the agfa all loaded with film. Not sure how long they have been in. I'm now down to just the Agfa as I've used the rest :) Another 2 rolls off to Mr FilmDev today. Some dodgy jessops and the superia out of the leaky vito.

Next up will be the Yashica I think. I have got some Ektar in 35mm which is a first for me. Plus I'll plonk something in the trip again as I like having a camera with no battery. Fuji GA MF P & S monster hasn't been out in a while so that's another on the list. If the light leak issue is still on going then the Vito might be off to Miles. If I've fixed it then it will have another roll of superia in it and it will be back to living in my pocket.

I've a 200 ASA colour negative film in the Exakta Varex IIA from earlier this week. I don't do colour, so I just asked for a colour negative film and that's what I got; no idea what maker or type.

Apart from that, I've got film loaded in 5x4 double dark slides, but that's not really the same as in a camera.

I have a lot cameras and I have about 5-6 at any one time with some film in. In as many cases as possible I try to finish a roll, but this doesn't always happen. I use an app called Film Trackr which has all my cameras loaded including the backs for different systems and this sits on my iPhone. I always know what film is in what camera and for how long.

https://filmtrackr.com

Way too organised..

Reactions: Jao
Filmtrackr is definitely very organised! I just turn them one way on the shelf when they have film in. Turn them the other way when they don't. Still have to open the back to ruin a few shots now and then though!

...only the one at the moment - Some Expired Kodak Gold 200 in the Canon AE-1 Program, trying hard not to start anything new before the Hols. :)

Great cameras that no self respecting film photographer should be without :D

I was probably watching the same one too. I had a rare bout of sanity and didn't bid, mostly because I have had one before. Startlingly good image quality but slow to use as you have to cock the shutter first (what a chore!) but also the closest focusing distance was a bit distant for my liking. Same reason I no longer own a Yashica Mat-124. The focusing thing.

Last edited:
I've only got one loaded at the minute... got some ultrafine 400 in a zenit TTL, with a mind to finishing it for the FSU thingme

I think I probably have a Bronica SQ filmback with a long-expired infrared film in it, since I haven't used the camera for many years. I also have various LF filmholders containing film that I haven't got round to shooting, but I think I'm OK on the 35mm stuff. :oops: :$

Way too organised..
An I thought that sticking the end of the film box i a memo-minder on the back of the camera was the zenith of 'organisation'!
BTW....What's an i-phone? ;-) Is that one of them multi-function under-chin lighting devices like my daughter has, she insisted she HAD to upgrade to have the duel camera function so she could use it as a make-up mirror, as well as substitute for err.. 'speech'?
(Yes.. she sent me a face book message with link to the camera ad to tell me about the make-up-mirror function, in explanation to WHY this was an essential investment to her general social existance!?!?!?!?!?!)

Ripping a bit of the film box is/was my favourite way of keeping track of stuff and slotting it into the flash contact always seemed like a good idea. Mostly fell out. Had a real laugh reading through these posts tho'. If I had a smart phone Film Trackr would be a good idea but might kind of spoil the fun.

Quite a few cameras don't have the film reminder slot in the back....no logical explanation as Canon A1 has it, but AV1 doesn't...Canon T70 has it, but T90 doesn't...Nikon Fm has it, but F90x doesn't and so on

If I had a smart phone Film Trackr would be a good idea but might kind of spoil the fun.

But, but, but ......... surely that would be digi? :whistle: As a matter of honour, I have committed the subjects for the FPOTY to a good old analogue piece of paper that I carry in my wallet. :D

(PS only kidding with the mock horror.(y) )

Ripping a bit of the film box is/was my favourite way of keeping track of stuff and slotting it into the flash contact always seemed like a good idea. Mostly fell out. Had a real laugh reading through these posts tho'. If I had a smart phone Film Trackr would be a good idea but might kind of spoil the fun.
I've resorted to folding up a bit of film box and slipping it into the cold shoe on some of my cameras. As my Rolleicord has neither a cold shoe or a slot for a film reminder I just pop the film box piece in the viewfinder before I put it away. Otherwise I'm likely to forget what I've loaded.

My Cosina PM-1 has a little slot for the film box on it - essential, otherwise I'd never remember what I'd put in there!

A very nice press type camera with some back movements and probably the best selection of lenses in its day.

Potential problems could be light leaks in the back bellows (easily patched) and secondly finding the focal length lenses you are looking for.
All in all an excellent medium format camera.

Back