Took delivery of the future today: Surface Duo

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I got a pal in the US to buy it and courier it over to the UK. After an agonising week it arrived. I’ve been waiting to get my hands on this since it was announced about a year ago.

Let’s face it, mobile phones have become tediously boring rectangular slabs with minimal innovation recently. It’s just become a megapixel game with little tweaks. Boring boring boring. When conferences were a thing, I attended Mobile World Congress every year and it was just a sea of black rectangles. At least Samsung are trying different things with their Fold, and there’s the Motorol Razr which doesn’t seem to have gone anywhere.

A2E2C53B-7797-4F87-A011-4B9157C94A15.jpeg

The above shows the BBC and Times apps simultaneously. I’d normally have Slack and Email, or Email and Calendar, or Google Docs and Sheets or Reddit and Youtube.

With the Duo, Microsoft have been thinking differently about how people use a pocketable device. For anyone what has used two monitors, and then tried to go back to just one, you’ll know what I mean. The Duo is just like that. Even though I’ve only been using it for a few days, when I went to use my Note10 again to get some login info for some apps, it just felt rather primitive. Two screens, designed specifically to allow you to do two things at once, is a game changer.

I remember when I had the first iPhones in the UK (I ran the tech delivery project for the iPhone for O2), and showed them to my close friends and family. It was so different to anything else it just made people re-evaluate what a phone was. Then, I got the gen 1 iPad. My pals thought I was mad. “What the hell are you going to do with that?” they said. Now they’ve all got one (or two). I feel the Duo is the same - a completely different way to do things. And, best of all, when you close it you’re saying “thanks very much, I’m done now, don’t bother me.” No attention seeking notifications saying “look at me, you’re missing something“. Thanks social media, I’m not interested now, I’ve closed you, bye.”

The build quality is stupendous. It’s one of those things you pick up and just hold and fiddle with because it’s so lovely. Everyone says it’s really thin. It is. It’s really really thin. And the wider aspect ratio of the screens is so much nicer than long, thin screens of many phones. Using Kindle for books when spanning both screens is eerily book-like. Plus of course, you can use one of the excellent Surface Pens with it, which works especially well with OneNote in spanned mode.

There’s been a lot of trashing of the software by well known reviewers, but I’ve had a different experience. With the beta launcher installed, it’s really very good for a 1st release. Let’s not forget that the original iPhone was the absolute worst performing cellular radio device we’d ever tested at O2. Or that my iPad Pro often freezes with everything upside down or that I’m on my 3rd s***ty keyboard for it. Or the debacle of Macbook keys being so appalling you can’t type on them. Let’s get things in perspective.

Take a look at this review from someone who really gets it

And if you want to see some of the cool stuff you can do with it, check this out

Yes, it’s expensive, yes it’s got early software, but the great news is that the hardware is excellent, and the software can be improved. If you want a triple-lens camera, get something else. If you want NFC, get something else. But if you want a highly innovative and extremely useful experience that will change the way you use a portable device, this nails it.

Hopefully they’ll be in the UK soon - paying sales tax in the US then VAT on import to the UK plus courier charges is a bit of a bummer!

Gotta say, it does nothing for me. It’s like finding a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
You’re right, it’s hard to tell one mobile from the next nowadays, but I’ve never thought I need a second screen to enhance my mobile experience.
That said, I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase. Enjoy!

I can see how this would be useful. Ever need to make a note in the middle of a phone call? Minimise the dialler interface, scroll through to find the note app, open it & start writing, then discover you need to use the dialler screen again. Not convenient. If this will truely permit separate apps to run on each screen then it's going to be genuinely useful to some people.

Gotta say, it does nothing for me. It’s like finding a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

That's almost exactly what done tech journalists said when the iPad was launched :)

I can see too many issues with this (battery running 2 screens, how do you good it? Which 2 apps do you genuinely want to run simultaneously?) But I'm still interested by it.

It doesn't feel like the end solution, but it's an interesting step.

Surface phone was announced way back in 2012 but MS scrapped the idea as they couldn't compete with Apple or Android, the original would have had Win 10 Mobile, which if anyone has used it, it is a far better OS than Android and iOS for a mobile, I was holding out for years for one and when MS said they were finally dropping it I eventually went back to Android as I could see the apps being discontinued daily on Win 10 M.
If this was a Win 10 M device I wouldn't hesitate to get one, but really, a Microsoft device running Android doesn't get my juices flowing, no matter how nice it looks, its just another Android.

Last edited:
I got a pal in the US to buy it and courier it over to the UK. After an agonising week it arrived. I’ve been waiting to get my hands on this since it was announced about a year ago.

Let’s face it, mobile phones have become tediously boring rectangular slabs with minimal innovation recently. It’s just become a megapixel game with little tweaks. Boring boring boring. When conferences were a thing, I attended Mobile World Congress every year and it was just a sea of black rectangles. At least Samsung are trying different things with their Fold, and there’s the Motorol Razr which doesn’t seem to have gone anywhere.

View attachment 293888

The above shows the BBC and Times apps simultaneously. I’d normally have Slack and Email, or Email and Calendar, or Google Docs and Sheets or Reddit and Youtube.

With the Duo, Microsoft have been thinking differently about how people use a pocketable device. For anyone what has used two monitors, and then tried to go back to just one, you’ll know what I mean. The Duo is just like that. Even though I’ve only been using it for a few days, when I went to use my Note10 again to get some login info for some apps, it just felt rather primitive. Two screens, designed specifically to allow you to do two things at once, is a game changer.

I remember when I had the first iPhones in the UK (I ran the tech delivery project for the iPhone for O2), and showed them to my close friends and family. It was so different to anything else it just made people re-evaluate what a phone was. Then, I got the gen 1 iPad. My pals thought I was mad. “What the hell are you going to do with that?” they said. Now they’ve all got one (or two). I feel the Duo is the same - a completely different way to do things. And, best of all, when you close it you’re saying “thanks very much, I’m done now, don’t bother me.” No attention seeking notifications saying “look at me, you’re missing something“. Thanks social media, I’m not interested now, I’ve closed you, bye.”

The build quality is stupendous. It’s one of those things you pick up and just hold and fiddle with because it’s so lovely. Everyone says it’s really thin. It is. It’s really really thin. And the wider aspect ratio of the screens is so much nicer than long, thin screens of many phones. Using Kindle for books when spanning both screens is eerily book-like. Plus of course, you can use one of the excellent Surface Pens with it, which works especially well with OneNote in spanned mode.

There’s been a lot of trashing of the software by well known reviewers, but I’ve had a different experience. With the beta launcher installed, it’s really very good for a 1st release. Let’s not forget that the original iPhone was the absolute worst performing cellular radio device we’d ever tested at O2. Or that my iPad Pro often freezes with everything upside down or that I’m on my 3rd s***ty keyboard for it. Or the debacle of Macbook keys being so appalling you can’t type on them. Let’s get things in perspective.

Take a look at this review from someone who really gets it

And if you want to see some of the cool stuff you can do with it, check this out

Yes, it’s expensive, yes it’s got early software, but the great news is that the hardware is excellent, and the software can be improved. If you want a triple-lens camera, get something else. If you want NFC, get something else. But if you want a highly innovative and extremely useful experience that will change the way you use a portable device, this nails it.

Hopefully they’ll be in the UK soon - paying sales tax in the US then VAT on import to the UK plus courier charges is a bit of a bummer!
It's good to be different, i'm on an old iPhone 6S because I can't bring myself to spend £1k+ on an "upgrade" which apart from a better camera offers me nothing of any real use over and above what I have already.

Enjoy !!!!

Surface phone was announced way back in 2012 but MS scrapped the idea as they couldn't compete with Apple or Android, the original would have had Win 10 Mobile, which if anyone has used it, it is a far better OS than Android and iOS for a mobile, I was holding out for years for one and when MS said they were finally dropping it I eventually went back to Android as I could see the apps being discontinued daily on Win 10 M.
If this was a Win 10 M device I wouldn't hesitate to get one, but really, a Microsoft device running Android doesn't get my juices flowing, no matter how nice it looks, its just another Android.

Stopped using my Lumia 640 just over 2 years ago, when the various apps simply stopped working. I agree, windows mobile was definitely better than Android but Microsoft simply can't make *and support in the market* anything but software it seems, and I'm still not convinced they've learned with the Surface series.

its an interesting phone but for me the cost for the benefit will be silly.
i am paying less and less each year for my phones not more and more
my new one a redmi note 8 pro was £155 and that will last me 2 years

This sounds like cameras to me. You pay your money and make your choice. You buy into a system.

Am I going to see a benefit over my 'new to me' Samsung mk4? I can't work all that it can do. It makes phone calls, it sends texts. If anything needs doing it has to get done on my confuser at home. People can wait, they have to. If they want it done now, then phone me and talk to me like a proper human being, don't whizz electrons at me, I am not a robot.

Am I going to see a benefit over my 'new to me' Samsung mk4? I can't work all that it can do. It makes phone calls, it sends texts. If anything needs doing it has to get done on my confuser at home. People can wait, they have to. If they want it done now, then phone me and talk to me like a proper human being, don't whizz electrons at me, I am not a robot.
For you, Simon, a Nokia 3310 would be ok plenty. [emoji6]

It's good to be different, i'm on an old iPhone 6S
My 6 no longer has a SIM. I upgraded to an 8 because that allowed me to use three apps that can't run on the 6. The apps that made the 6 useful to me still run just fine, would cost time and money to migrate to the 8 and in any case I can transfer data via WiFi. If a phone still does useful work, why would we not keep it?

I have a 3210 as backup. It lasts about 10 days before needs charging!

There are times I really appreciate having a mobile computing device that also makes phone calls (brilliant sat nav and source of information over the last 2 weeks in Greece, for example) and this one normally lasts 2-3 days between charges, but I also appreciated a candy bar phone that would do 2 weeks on standby when I was on the road a bit for work.

There are times I really appreciate having a mobile computing device that also makes phone calls (brilliant sat nav and source of information over the last 2 weeks in Greece, for example) and this one normally lasts 2-3 days between charges, but I also appreciated a candy bar phone that would do 2 weeks on standby when I was on the road a bit for work.

Maps still work .... but you need to know how to read one.

Maps still work .... but you need to know how to read one.

They do, but navigating your way* out of central Athens in an unfamiliar car is a bit less challenging when 'someone' knows their way around. ;)

*I'm not sure why, but many road signs in Greece have been defaced, deliberately painted over, making navigation for a stranger to the area extremely difficult, and 2 years ago we really struggled to find an airport on Crete because of this. I can read Greek letters, but not if I can't see the shapes.

It's good to be different, i'm on an old iPhone 6S because I can't bring myself to spend £1k+ on an "upgrade" which apart from a better camera offers me nothing of any real use over and above what I have already.

Enjoy !!!!

I had that situation so bought a Samsung M31s. The battery life alone was the upgrade and having got used to Android I wouldn't want to back to iOS.

This looks great though what the OP has bought. I would utilise the second screen.

They do, but navigating your way* out of central Athens in an unfamiliar car is a bit less challenging when 'someone' knows their way around. ;)

*I'm not sure why, but many road signs in Greece have been defaced, deliberately painted over, making navigation for a stranger to the area extremely difficult, and 2 years ago we really struggled to find an airport on Crete because of this. I can read Greek letters, but not if I can't see the shapes.

that is so true where our house is which is semi rural near koymbari akk the road signs are either missing or shot full of holes, we find when going out on day trips to have the lat/long coordinates works wwll and we use a samsung galaxy Tab with offline google maps to naviagte, thats the wifes job.

Some years ago, after driving down through France to get to Lake Como, towing the boat, we found ourselves in Milan, around 22.00 on a Friday night. There were cars everywhere, parked half on the pavement, more were half on the central reservation, single lane road.... we weren' the most popular people at the time, blocking junctions trying to work out which way to go. We landed at the hotel around 23.59 and in dire need of several stiff G&Ts. ;)

Back