Topaz Photo AI and video screencaps help please.

Edit My Images
Yes
So I have been using Topaz new software Photo AI recently and although it ranges from incredible to awful based on what you feed it I have noticed that it does very little with the silly number of video screenshots/screencaps. I have quite a few from older hi8/digital8 tapes that have been digitised a few years back.

After fiddling with the topaz settings they all seem to have little affect on these
video screenshots while still photos result in much more drastic changes.

Can anyone explain why this would be? Knowing me it it something obvious and/or stupid but any advice would be appreciated.

Secondly does anyone know of a good editing suite that can be recommended for old analogue screenshots should topaz not be helpful?

So I have been using Topaz new software Photo AI recently and although it ranges from incredible to awful based on what you feed it I have noticed that it does very little with the silly number of video screenshots/screencaps. I have quite a few from older hi8/digital8 tapes that have been digitised a few years back.

After fiddling with the topaz settings they all seem to have little affect on these
video screenshots while still photos result in much more drastic changes.

Can anyone explain why this would be? Knowing me it it something obvious and/or stupid but any advice would be appreciated.

Secondly does anyone know of a good editing suite that can be recommended for old analogue screenshots should topaz not be helpful?
I noticed that as well, just does nothing on low res shots.

I also noticed that the pictures it had most effect on, so did standard editing software :)

I didn't find DeNoise that much better than others, although it looked as if it was fantastic, looking close up I saw a lot of artefacts almost like compression artefacts.

I also did not like Luminar AI, uninstalled it and got a refund yesterday.

I think AI based software has quite a way to go yet before it becomes worth the money.

I noticed that as well, just does nothing on low res shots.

I also noticed that the pictures it had most effect on, so did standard editing software :)

I didn't find DeNoise that much better than others, although it looked as if it was fantastic, looking close up I saw a lot of artefacts almost like compression artefacts.

I also did not like Luminar AI, uninstalled it and got a refund yesterday.

I think AI based software has quite a way to go yet before it becomes worth the money.
Yeah it's certainly not a one click solution. I lost some photos but they were still on my Facebook page so tried with those it done an OK job so at least I had something.

But I just don't know what it is with video screenshots. Even with very low res photos it does SOMETHING, even if it does look awful. With video caps it does very little if anything and I can't work out why.

Topaz IIRC do or did have Video AI, though I cannot remember what it's intended use was???

Found it https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enh...szrPWbB06ekYRjqlyKzrZpxx7w1LN2tcaAgfsEALw_wcB

Not clear if once processed you can pull a frame from the video?
Cheers. I have tried video enhance but it is so time consuming and as noted by a lot of folk in various places it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

The hard work has been done already regarding the actual video files, it's just finding the best solution to making the most of the screencaps.

Back