TopGear sued by Tesla

if the BBC have footage that shows that breaking down (without editing) then they will lose. the bit about the range, Clarkson said the range they got out of it on the track was 55 miles, if that is what they got on the track by thrashing it about then thats not a lie, my focus says it will do 50+ to the gallon, but doesnt if i push it.

it will be interesting...

I wonder how many cars they would have sold without the Top Gear coverage. I've not heard anything from Tesla since they brought the car out and had it featured on TG. They've got another model due out shortly, and suddenly they've brought themselves to the fore again. Reeks of publicity.

quite a few Teslas in this neck of the woods (<10 miles from Hethel = Lotus)....... odd things - make no noise whatsoever and go like greased monkey poo off a teflon shovel at the lights.........

I would assume than under normal driving conditions 200 miles is a reasonable assumption... However my punto *thinks* at the moment is has 643 miles of Diesel in its tank (2/3 full)... In reality we are talking 400.

Defo publicity.

First Broadcast in December 2008, but they only take them to court now? If they had that much of an issue with it it would have been in court the week after, or they would have been clever and forced TopGear into featuring on another show exactly what mileage the car was capable of covering, and at the very least getting the repeats stopped from being shown. TopGear will have there backsides covered with the things that they say about other, larger car marques with much bigger budgets.

The court fee of £1030, plus a couple of grand for the lawyers, is the best marketing money this company has ever spent.

Tesla say they have been trying to contact the BBC since the broadcast but they haven't responded. Suspicious they took 3 years to give up though!

ewwww, overcooked HDR image :razz:

the documents are quite interesting though, going on about the first and second tesla's :naughty:

Are you insinuating that Top Gear would let a good car get in the way of a sensationalised story?
You'll be saying Richard Hammonds crash was staged next !!

Sorry but are people still working under the impression that Top Gear is a car 'review' show...?

Tesla say they have been trying to contact the BBC since the broadcast but they haven't responded.

Following the lead of Nikola Tesla, who listened to radio interference for communications from aliens...

I reckon electric cars are dangerous. No kidding i nearly got knocked down by a prius on Portree harbour Isle of Skye. stepped back for a better composition of the shot, no noise from the car as it was on electrics. Only saw it at the last second, what would happen if a blind person wanted to cross. Ought to have a beeper on them when running on electrics.
Rant over.

£87k for the roadster model?? they can suck my nuts!

Also 3.5 hours for a full charge (48 hours from a wall socket) and NO WHERE to do it in that time unless you are at home. Add to that the fact that the battery system (ESS) needs replacing every 7 years (100,000 miles) at a cost of $36,000 USD (£23k).

I can't see how electric cars like this are really a viable option.

the legal docs are quite an interesting read, looking at the transcript of the top gear dialogue it seems that tesla are just shouting about nothing.

certainly if the brake power assistance failed on your road car you;d class it as 'broken' and tesla stating that it needed a fuse replaced, that to me shows that something was broken!

Back