Tophill Low Nature Reserve

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of taking a trip to Tophill Low.
Is it worth a day out for bird photography this time of year? What are the hides like?

Many thanks
Patrick

It was temporarily closed so check their website and give them a ring (y)

But to answer your questions, yes its definitely worth a visit. Hides are ok, they do have a large, low level photography hide with close perches, it all depends on what's there on the day.

Something else to check, although we haven't been since before covid, it seems to stick in me mind they made the low level hide members only? which would be a shame, again, worth checking before a visit.

Make sure it's open, I was up in July and drove 30 miles to find it had been closed for a few months, Their website isn't very clear, they have been doing a lot of work there and have had to close it for a while. If it's open, it's great, I visited previously just as we came out of lockdown. The main reservoirs were full of wildfowl, nothing interesting, but the woods, marshes and scrapes were good, and the hides were ok. If you're in the area Skerne Wetlands is not far away, I think it's a Yorkshire Wildlife trust place, not easy to find though.

Back