Torch for orbs.

Matthew ( @MWHCVT ) is the guy to ask about this type of thing (y)

IMG_0625.JPG When you say an orb I take it you mean something like this? If so it's not really a torch that your after, I've made dozens of different tools in various different shapes, designs, configurations etc, spent a lot of money and never if I'm honest got a tool that works as I'd want

Which is why I was at the front of the queue waiting for the launch of the tool I now use for the orbs you see above, a tool designed and produced but the father of the orb/ball of light Denis Smith of Australia

https://www.denissmith.com.au/the-ball-of-light-tool/

Now it's quite an investment but it is a fantastic tool and honestly vs how much I've spent over the years in making my own attempts at tools before this was launched I've probably wasted more than this tool costs :eek:

Yes that is what i am after doing Matthew, i tried last night with mag lite and soon realised it has got to be open light source, fior now i will cobble together some xmas lights, for practice, then see where i go from there, awesome orbs you made there.

View attachment 114333 When you say an orb I take it you mean something like this? If so it's not really a torch that your after, I've made dozens of different tools in various different shapes, designs, configurations etc, spent a lot of money and never if I'm honest got a tool that works as I'd want

Which is why I was at the front of the queue waiting for the launch of the tool I now use for the orbs you see above, a tool designed and produced but the father of the orb/ball of light Denis Smith of Australia

https://www.denissmith.com.au/the-ball-of-light-tool/

Now it's quite an investment but it is a fantastic tool and honestly vs how much I've spent over the years in making my own attempts at tools before this was launched I've probably wasted more than this tool costs :eek:

That look very neat!

Yes that is what i am after doing Matthew, i tried last night with mag lite and soon realised it has got to be open light source, fior now i will cobble together some xmas lights, for practice, then see where i go from there, awesome orbs you made there.

This is exactly what I did for a few years using battery pack sets of Christmas lights set up in various ways to use as a tool

My advice if going down that route is create a cluster of 6-10 LEDs but fan then out a bit to create a head of light and also weigh the head down a little bit taping in a few small nails/screws around the head to help with keeping the spin stable when spinning

And thanks, the tool I now use is epic, it takes a bit of practice till you can spin consistent orbs in most spins but ones you nail your technique it's amazing and because of the interchangeable heads means a wide variety of colour options are available

That look very neat!

It really is a brilliant tool

This is exactly what I did for a few years using battery pack sets of Christmas lights set up in various ways to use as a tool

My advice if going down that route is create a cluster of 6-10 LEDs but fan then out a bit to create a head of light and also weigh the head down a little bit taping in a few small nails/screws around the head to help with keeping the spin stable when spinning

And thanks, the tool I now use is epic, it takes a bit of practice till you can spin consistent orbs in most spins but ones you nail your technique it's amazing and because of the interchangeable heads means a wide variety of colour options are available

It really is a brilliant tool
Bought today £2-50 out of wilkinsons. First go with them earlier tonight, it is a two photo stack.
strange.jpg

Yeah to make dimes of light although the original concept came from @AndWhyNot on that front

Half orbs wasn't it, shaft through the middle on the ground and rotated? Thought that was a very clever idea. Did you ever try the lights in the whisk on a cord like done with steel wool?

Half orbs wasn't it, shaft through the middle on the ground and rotated? Thought that was a very clever idea. Did you ever try the lights in the whisk on a cord like done with steel wool?

Yeah that’s the idea.. to create this look

As to lights in a whisk, I’ve never tried that although I should imagine you’d get a look similar to an orb, the issue you’d face is turning the lights on and off while exposing

Attachments

• EBFEC0DC-6CE4-4C42-9B4A-27D238058347.jpeg
    EBFEC0DC-6CE4-4C42-9B4A-27D238058347.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 27
Yeah that’s the idea.. to create this look

As to lights in a whisk, I’ve never tried that although I should imagine you’d get a look similar to an orb, the issue you’d face is turning the lights on and off while exposing
Start spinning then start the exposure using a remote shutter? Just an idea, I might try it as I'm out this weekend

Start spinning then start the exposure using a remote shutter? Just an idea, I might try it as I'm out this weekend

Well yes but that is somewhat limiting if you wish to create a ultra long exposure light painted image, I will often create images that take 5-10 minutes to put in all the various elements, this means needing to be able to precisely control any light source used

Well yes but that is somewhat limiting if you wish to create a ultra long exposure light painted image, I will often create images that take 5-10 minutes to put in all the various elements, this means needing to be able to precisely control any light source used
Ah yes, didn't think about needing two or more sources.
I'll have to have a look at your website for some ideas ;)

I have always suffered with odd shape orbs...... so im making a new tool soon that should solve that !!

Or stack photos, I did the orb in one exposure, and the BG in another, then merged and 10 sec timer to get in position, I am hoping to explore a lot more, the possibilities are endless.

Or stack photos, I did the orb in one exposure, and the BG in another, then merged and 10 sec timer to get in position, I am hoping to explore a lot more, the possibilities are endless.

OH stacking is certainly a tool that is worth keeping in the bag but sometimes there’s a certain satisfaction in creating an image in one take, it involves a real degree of planning and set up before the shutter is even pressed

Of course for light painters in particular more and more are moving over to Olympus cameras that bring the ability to live composite images which is properly revolutionary when it comes to light painting as it opens up so many opportunities

As an example this image I shot on my first outing with my Olympus which was shot just before sunset where my traditional DSLR would have permitted a 1/2 second exposure my Olympus allowed me to use a base of 1/2 second for a stacked live composite about 40 seconds long

37C28219-98E7-4937-A122-2B14C18FFEE0.jpeg

OH stacking is certainly a tool that is worth keeping in the bag but sometimes there’s a certain satisfaction in creating an image in one take, it involves a real degree of planning and set up before the shutter is even pressed

Of course for light painters in particular more and more are moving over to Olympus cameras that bring the ability to live composite images which is properly revolutionary when it comes to light painting as it opens up so many opportunities

As an example this image I shot on my first outing with my Olympus which was shot just before sunset where my traditional DSLR would have permitted a 1/2 second exposure my Olympus allowed me to use a base of 1/2 second for a stacked live composite about 40 seconds long

View attachment 114589
Amazing function on Olympus which one have you got Matthew.

Amazing function on Olympus which one have you got Matthew.

Erm.....I’d have to go look to be certain, but it’s a lower end one in the range I want to say OM-D EM10 I purchased it on the classifieds used around this time last year as I wanted to try out the live composition tool on a recommendation from a friend who’s a brand ambassador for them and honestly when it comes to light painting etc it’s amazing to use

Back