Torches

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
im looking for a half decent torch to try some light painting etc. I would like a torch which is reliable and one that won't eat batteries like mad. I think I would prefer one which takes rechargeable batteries so I can change on location for a spare set of batteries(AA etc). I have read a thread or two on here from a while back and had a few names but wondered if things have moved on and any new players on the scene. I don't want to spend a lot of money so up to around £50 would be good but would spend more if required. Your thoughts welcomed!

Google Fenix pd35. 5 different light outputs. Strobe for possible defence. A great light using 18650 rechargeable batteries. Had mine over a year and and don't go out at night without it.

I find Fenix AA torches pretty good & very reliable, use AA rechargeable.LED lenser are ok but most are unregulated last time I looked at them. Have had to return led lenser due to faults and the CS was very good to be fair.

I don't have the knowledge to recommend specific brands or models, but I've ordered a few times from these guys - prices are extremely keen and kit always arrives in good time considering it's coming from China. P&P is included and I've never had any problem with customs (mind you I've never ordered anything particularly expensive from them.

We have a Maglite torch, which is very nice and very bright and you can vary the beam as well.

I'm a scout leader and get a lot of use out of torches. I've replaced all of mine with LED Lenser ones. Even a 4D maglight replaced with a single led 4 aaa torch (p7) the light output over short to medium range is better but slightly worse over 200 yards.

As a single all round torch I'd suggest a P7, you can get them for £40 is on Amazon (identical to the T7 internally do look at both). I have a p3 as an always carry. Not as bright but good enough and is a single aaa. The police tech focus is a good torch and a bit cheaper than the p7 and will do most people.

When I was working I always found the LED Lenser's to be good torches, had the P7 & H7. They were recommended to me by some electricians on site who swore by them after trying different brands. It's suprising how handy the H7 was, never thought I would use it much but it was probably the mosed used out of the two.

I've just got a nitecore MH25 and it's pretty good, they even sell colour filters to go on the end and a few different styles of diffuser too, may come in handy. It's rechargeable too - the USB cable plugs straight into the torch. It comes with a holster you can put on your belt so doesn't even need to take up room in your bag

Last edited:
I've had a cree 5w torch the wife picked up from Aldi for £10, for three years now and its still going strong.
Batteries last well with moderate use and you can adjust the beam focus to some stupid distances. Not bad for such a small piece of kit at such a price. I bought a spare too.

Last edited:
Back