Tornado Alley 12th Feb

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Made another visit to the M6 pass at Tebay today and was again rewarded with some great action :clap:.
Hope you enjoy.

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

Steve...

these are awesome !! (y)forgive my ignorance but where is this ??
cheers
chris

Hi Chris.

These were taken just south of Tebay in Cumbria at a place known as the M6 pass, a narrow valley where appropriately the motorway runs through.

The shots are taken from high up the valley sides as the aircraft hurtle past.

If you want some more detailed info drop me a PM

Steve...

Great stuff. Would love a crack at this. Are these shots cropped much or is 280mm long enough?

Great stuff. Would love a crack at this. Are these shots cropped much or is 280mm long enough?

Hi.

For this location 280mm is fine for the larger aircraft, (Tornado, Harrier and Typhoon) without any serious cropping. For the Hawks and Tucanos it can be a bit short but decent images are obtainable (y).

IMG_2012.jpg

Steve...

Steve you got some really sharp shots there, well done.

I have seen other pictures you have taken from here and they are all good. How often do these guys fly up there and how long do you normally wait once your in position?

pm sent

Cheers

Pete

Much prefer these to previous because of good use of empty space (for them to fly into)

Hi Pete.

The RAF only fly Monday to Friday and there's no set timetable, so it is possible to spend the whole day waiting to be rewarded with nothing :bang:.
However on the flip side I've been up there the last two days (9.30 to 3.30 Mon and 10.30 to 2.30 Tues) and seen over 20 aircraft movements :woot:.
Its quite a tedious pastime and concentration is critical, staring down the valley can be boring and one lapse can result in missing the one and only photo opportunity :bonk:.

Steve...

Are you on the West bank/fell when you took these? I know this pass well and those roads look like the ones on the r/h/s as you go through the pass? Is there a mast up above you? Superb images with a knack to take you to the very spot.:clap:

Hi.

These were taken from below the mast.

I think the nearest place to the midlands will be Wales at a place known as "The Loop".

Steve...

I find it amazing you can capture these so well.. I think the first one needs abit of a clean :LOL:

Hi.

The nearest place is called Dolgellau (I think thats how you spell it).

You dont need any permission, the jets are in the public domain and most places have right to roam. Yes they do wave, the pilots have a very good relationship with the togs and regularly ask for piccies, wouldnt you?

Steve...

excellent i have tried and know how hard it is to produce pictures with that much detail!!! (y)(y)

Top shots Steve.......those Tornado's look great in that light......nicely detailed Images and will make for some excellent prints.......I have seen plenty of Images from the Tebay location but the ones you and Bill got this week are definately the best I have seen from there.......nice work steve.......Cheers Barry

How often do they go there? I don't live far from tebay really, justa quick troll up the motorway.

Back