Toronto

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Was in Toronto this weekend for 'Doors open", Havent' gone through all the pics yet but here is a few.
contrast.jpg

church1.jpg

voices.jpg

manonbench.jpg

yoga.jpg

homeless3.jpg

Some nice shots there Jewel.......the one in the church is my fav.

Funny, I was just thinking that someone would suggest taking shot #5 from a different angle :LOL:

Some nice shots there Jewel. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is "doors open"?

You shot a few strangers then :)

I like the contrast in the first one. Mind you the rest are not bad either :)

<picky>The last few all seem to have a bit of a lean to one side</picky>
;)

minimeeze said:
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is "doors open"?

It's where certain buildings in Toronto that participate open their doors for free to the public. Alot of churches, historic buildings, that kind of thing. I think this is it's 7th year since they started doing it, though I could be wrong. This was my first time going and I went with a group from a forum I visit. It won't be my last though. I enjoyed it very much and the weather was absolutely fantastic!

Jewel

Woo-hoo! No. 3 in the church is great! Like the girl bending over as well - you don't have her cell number by any chance?

Arkady said:
Woo-hoo! No. 3 in the church is great! Like the girl bending over as well - you don't have her cell number by any chance?

:LOL: ummm no! Just thought she was interesting cause she was in the middle of a park doing yoga! Who does that in a park? :LOL: Definitely caught some attention,lol

Jules

very nice Jewel, the church on is very good, quiet a thoughtful image!

lady in the park? gooood mornin'

All good shots Jewel but the one in the church really stands out, well spotted and captured.

(y)

jewel said:
:LOL: ummm no! Just thought she was interesting cause she was in the middle of a park doing yoga! Who does that in a park? :LOL: Definitely caught some attention,lol

Jules

There was a park there :eek:

I love the church interior shot (y)

The church interior is indeed a corker - well done Jewel! :) The wino is well placed in the frame too, and the mono treatment suits the shot.

RobertP said:
<picky>The last few all seem to have a bit of a lean to one side</picky>
;)

It's a common Nikon problem, the viewfinder isn't properly aligned with the sensor. I don't have one single straight image. Have to correct in PS.

Nice shots jewel, the one in the chuch is excellent.

Lovely shot jewel,.... each in its own way.
I like the first...........and the dark one in the church...very clever!

Jules, the church shot is brilliant - great composition. I'd probably crop out the little bit of sky in #1. The guy with the '12' on his vest in #4 - is that the same guy in the last shot?

orangepeel said:
It's a common Nikon user problem, one leg is longer than the other. I don't have one single straight image. Have to correct in PS.

Well....:|

Catdaddy said:
Jules, the church shot is brilliant - great composition. I'd probably crop out the little bit of sky in #1. The guy with the '12' on his vest in #4 - is that the same guy in the last shot?

Heh, well spotted there Chris, yes it is the same dude,lol I also have another pic where him(12) and the guy on the bench meet up. It was a good laugh watching the two of them converse,lol. I came across alot of 'interesting' characters while down there, good times!

Thanks to all that commented as well.

Jewel :)

orangepeel said:
It's a common Nikon problem, the viewfinder isn't properly aligned with the sensor. I don't have one single straight image. Have to correct in PS.

What is this, I am not aware of?? Most of my pics are straight, only some have a slight lean to em,lol

Jewel

What are the shooting details for # 3 in the church?
Lens/aperture/shutter speed?

Which church was it? The Metropolitan? St. Andrews?

jewel said:
What is this, I am not aware of?? Most of my pics are straight, only some have a slight lean to em,lol

Jewel

maybe it was operator fault then :) sheesh, try to be polite... ;)

As I say, all mine are squint. I asked about it @ nikonians and was told it's a common problem with nikons...

#3 is by far the best shot of the lot. What a beautiful and tranquil photograph. Very well done. (y)

-monkey

Great set of pics Jewel ... the first is very eyecatching, juxtaposing old and new & a great sense of hugeness abounds - although a slightly different angle on the old building to centre it would have added impact ... imo !

Have to say the church is really superb too ... for me botb !

At least the guy in the last ain't got an itch he just has to handle this time !?!

WhatchaLookinAt? said:
What are the shooting details for # 3 in the church?
Lens/aperture/shutter speed?

Which church was it? The Metropolitan? St. Andrews?

This shot was taken @ St Andrews yes.

I am very pleased to hear that you all like it because it is one of the few shots I took manually. Trying to get away from AP mode and play with the camera a bit!

F3.5
1/15sec
18.00mm
metering(pattern)
kit lens(18-70mm)

Wow. Very nice. Particularly like the first shot and the church interior shot.

No one for me - the contrast in both age, shape and especially colour really make a striking contrast - well spotted. The girl in the park - colour and shape of the block against her curves! The composition in the Church is lovely but although the reduced depth of field is needed to make it work - Ifeel I would like a bit more detail in the window. possibly if there was time a double exposure and combined in parts. My 84 yr old pal is expert at this and provides photos sold in Ely Cathedral that are cheats!

You been on that cooking sherry again Jewel? :D

Your reposted version is leaning waaaay to the right. The original shot perhaps wants the slightest rotate right but it's almost negligable anyway. The problem, depending what editing software you use, is the smallest increment in the rotate box is 1 degree and that's often far too much. You should be able to type in fractions of a degree though, e.g. 0.25

I think the tilt comments were directed at your last few images anyway Jewel, not the church. :)

LOL. Enable the grid lines overlay if you want to be sure Jewel. I had a look at it and if it needs any rotate at all it's around 0.15 - (that's checked with the grid lines) and it's debatable if it looks any different anyway.

If you do rotate it don't forget to resharpen with a dollop off USM. ;)

if you want it really straight.......

select the measure tool and use it to draw a line along the line you want level (horizontal or vertical) then go into Image->rotate->arbitrary and the value will already be filled in for you.

So in your case, I would probably have drawn the line up the church window.

I would recommend drwing the line from edge to edge in the frame too, even if the line you're using is only part way of the distance.

Much easier than tring to do it manualy!

Nice shots btw;)

Church one is brill, both inside and out. Would've cropped tighter on the lady in the park though. And probably got a slap for my troubles ;)

Gandhi said:
cropped tighter on the lady in the park though. And probably got a slap for my troubles ;)

Heh, there were two guys that went with me into Toronto, believe me they got some good shots of her!!! She was very flexible if ya know what I mean,lol ;) No slaps though, she seemed to love the attention,lol

Thanks for the help too, I will get it straight dammit! :D

jules

yep, love that church shot, you're turning out some really good stuff on a regular basis now Jules :) I could see that shot being used in the church's PR to be honest.

Dave said:
Some nice shots there Jewel. Pete and I were at 'Doors Open' too and got some pics. Check out this Spooky Library room that we found. :)

Looks like you two were busy bee's! Lot's of great shots you got there Dave, I really like the library one, interesting.

Thanks Himupnorth and dod for the comments, slowly but surely, I'm gettin it,lol :)

Jewel

Nice shots Jewel....I like the first but the park one's not bad either!

Back