Total beginner muses

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Being new to dslr and taking bird shots, i surprised myself by taking decent record shots in a local park the other evening.

Of course the iso was high but good enough for me.

Today i went to a Red Kite feeding farm then the boys with big lenses appeared, oh b....r thought I, i'll never capture a decent shot comparable to those lads.

I fired off about 600 and reviewing them, i thought hmm, yep,i'm a ghastly photographer, however on viewing at home i think i've captured some not bad shots.

I'm limited to my daughters notebook at the moment and can't wait to get them onto a pc (a house full of gubbed desktops and laptops).

I've still to try viewing via the hdmi cable to tv, don't know if you can crop the shot whilst viewing on tv?.

Anyhow, I'd like to tell other beginners that it is possible to get a decent shot through luck and continuous high shooting.

I've still so much to learn but i did up the exposure to get the underside of the birds against the bright sky and it seems to have worked.

Sorry I can't show you some shots at the moment.

Can anyone relate their stories of when they started to shoot wildlife and what their kit includes?

I'm using a nikon d7000 and tamron 70-300 vc.

Hope you can pass on some tips and encouragement folks,

tom

Keep doing what you're doing and learn from your mistakes, that Tamron is a good sharp lens, you will be able to get some good images with it even if you crop them a bit, I still have mine and use it often,of course you'll want more reach, this is when it starts to get expensive but with new big zooms coming out some good bargains will be available with the old versions,I use a Sigma 150-500 and that will do for me,anything better is a lot more money.Good luck with your new hobby.

I'm using a nikon d7000 and tamron 70-300 vc.
You should manage to get some very nice shots with that combination ... I personally didn't find the 150-500 a massive improvement for BIF shots, but that might be down to technique

Last edited:
Back