total beginner to video

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
OK, total beginner to video. Was on holiday recently in Sorrento Italy, and with my OMD EM1 MK II and my Galaxy S7 shot a load of video clips in 4k and still images and would like to have a go putting them together with titles / transitions, etc.into a small holiday movie (10-15 mins or so).

I am a total newbie to Video and currently own (that I know) no video editing software (just the LR/PS bundled for images). I know that professional video editing require a pretty beefy PC and a lot of experience, but if I wanted to have a dabble (and knew nothing), what would be the best suggestion for free or cheap software that's easy to learn and would get me started.

I thinking of outputting to 1080p, but notice that the clips from the Olympus are 3840x2160 @ 24fps, but that the Galaxy S7 shot them at 30fps, can the software handle this frame rate mismatch and downsize to 1080p please ?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I found surprising what one can do with Adobe Premier Elements. I believe if you go onto the adobe web site there may well be a free time limited trial version.Apart from changing the whole video but working on one frame ( I made a complete mess of one of mine and recovered it) you can add own sound track- edit- splice and a whole lot more besides including titles even scrolling ones.

Worth checking out anyway

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xow2kWzMIPA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5_rShqorA

Click on the youtube link below video for more demos

Last edited:
Usually all will be well even changing FPS when rendering, though you might notice slight jerkiness.
Downscaling the 4K to 1080 no problem at all, but downsizing seems to take longer than outputting at original size even though it's a much larger file.
Selecting PAL or NTFS when recording might offer better compatibility when selecting fps, you can use either nowadays it makes no difference on modern TVs or yoube etc.

Last edited:
@Sootchucker

Andrew, give VSDC Free Video Editor a go. I used it to put together a little holiday video this year.

Not too hard to get to grips with and powerful if you want to delve deeper.
And completely free.

Why such a long time? 10-15 minutes is very long - is this for home viewing only or YouTube etc (even if it';s just so friends and family can see)?

If you'll be making one for YouTube, keep it as close to 3 minutes as possible really, and definately under 5. Here is a video I did from our 3rd trip to NYC last year
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epVeZVXqt0w

In regards to Software, use Windows Movie Maker (if that's still a thing) or Mac's iMovie....

I personally use Premiere Pro, but remember the first time I opened it many years ago - I was overwhelmed and didn't even load the software again for easily another 12 months and went with a copy of Video Pad instead as it seemed more like Windows MM, and something I was used to.

But overly complex for someone with zero experience imo

yep it is daunting when you fire it up, however it is FREE !
I just watched lots of YouTube videos.
I use LightRoom a lot and all of my experience has been gain from watching YouTube as most of my peers use PS.

In regards to Software, use Windows Movie Maker (if that's still a thing) or Mac's iMovie....

I personally use Premiere Pro, but remember the first time I opened it many years ago - I was overwhelmed and didn't even load the software again for easily another 12 months and went with a copy of Video Pad instead as it seemed more like Windows MM, and something I was used to.

Yep it is still around, though it is basic to use and might be a reasonable program to start on if you are desperate to get a project finished.
Though it is awful !

Back