Total Noob (another one!)

RAV

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
After the third time of trying, (briefly had a 300D and a 350D until finances took a major downturn) I'm buying another DSLR to try and improve my photography skills.....

Been offered a 30D - anything I should know about this model? Is it a good starting point for me? Comes with the stock lens, would look at getting a nifty fifty soon but that would be it for the moment until funds allow again.

After the third time of trying, (briefly had a 300D and a 350D until finances took a major downturn) I'm buying another DSLR to try and improve my photography skills.....

Been offered a 30D - anything I should know about this model? Is it a good starting point for me? Comes with the stock lens, would look at getting a nifty fifty soon but that would be it for the moment until funds allow again.

If you haven't been able to obtain satisfactory results from either the 300D or 350D, to be blunt, you are doing something wrong.

Although both are introductory D-SLR bodies, both models are capable of delivering fantastic shots.

My advice would be to stop blaming your equipment and be more reasonable in your expectations - owning any camera briefly won't allow you to become sufficiently familiar with it to be able to adapt to it.

I don't know what your experience is but based on the camera models you have quickly discounted as failing you, I suspect it's minimal.

It takes time to famililiarise yourself with your kit - equally important is being willing to read as much as you can and completely undertand the basic principals of exposure, focal-length, lenses, the application of filters to mention only a few.

I don't mean to be critical but you will never be satisfied with your equipment unless you appreciate how to use it to your advantage.

Last edited:
Hang on, at no point did I say that I had a problem with the kit!

I bought a 350D, had some good results, then due to our son being born, had to sell it (only a couple of months after buying it, as kids were more expensive than originally thought!)

Then bought a 300D secondhand - only managed to use it a few times until I had a major cash flow issue (losing your job does that to you!) so had to flog it in a hurry!

Things are better now, although not much LOL - so I've decided to treat myself again - if for no other reason than getting some half decent images of our kids as they grow up.

Nothing has failed me - if anything, being a total noob (as admitted in the thread title), I've not had the opportunity/time to get to grips with the camera.

My question, although possibly poorly framed was simply - is a second hand 30D a good buy for a newbie, or should I blow it out and find a 400D or 450D instead? I'm happy with the price the camera is being offered at, so thats not the issue....

Thank you for your comments though - I appreciate I need to spend time playing with any new camera - which I intend to do!

30D is a decent step up from the ones you mentioned and still a very decent camera to this day.
I cant think of anything about them that you should be concerned about.
Just stick it in the "Noddy Zone" Auto until you are comfortable with it then start experimenting with different creative modes.

If you had a camera that was better than entry level then maybe you could mentally get further with photography. If you've got the cash, spend a bit more. It's investing in your childrens future ;)

Once you've got a camera you know can do what you want, the rest is down to you.

What's wrong with your other pictures? Can you upload a couple so we can see? What lens have you got? That's really important.

Last question, what setting are you using? Aperture priority? You should, it's a great place to start. Set it to as low a number as you can, focus on the eyes and snap. How's that?

Apologies RAV,

I certainly had no intention to offend but your post had dropped down the forum and I attempted to help as best I could based on the your description of your situation. :)

At least it's bumped and now getting attention!

Last edited:
You wont be dissapointed with a 30D, however i have been trawling through flickr recently and some of the shots taken with the XXXD series cameras are really impressive with the right glass on the front.

What lenses do you have, and what is your photography about, people, cars, etc.....

LOL - no problem Chap!

I'm a mediocre photographer at best, so any help I can get is gratefully recieved!

And no offence taken!

You wont be dissapointed with a 30D, however i have been trawling through flickr recently and some of the shots taken with the XXXD series cameras are really impressive with the right glass on the front.

What lenses do you have, and what is your photography about, people, cars, etc.....

Don't have any lenses yet - the 30D will come with the kit lens, and I'll buy a Fifty at some stage.

My photography is of the "oooh that looks nice" variety - so bit of everything really.,.. Ideally, I'd like to be able to replicate the professional images we had done recently of our kids - although the guy had a 5D, backdrops, lights etc and the skill set to use it all effectively! I wouldn't mind being able to replicate those kind of images so I can offer my services FOC to our friends so they can have decent pics of their kids without paying through the nose!

:LOL:

30D is still a very capable camera, although the kit lens is not the best on the block it works well.

Back