Totally confused.....

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I sort of led myself up a path yesterday at work that has left me in a situation of recording some video for Youtube footage, for work.

I have a Fuji X-T2 & X-T3, everybody talks about how good they are at video. Looking through the settings, I thought "1080p, 60fps" should be fine. My T3 doesn't give 1080p as an option. It has 4k, DCi & FHD. I have no idea what the last two are, and I don't need 4k video for a basic bit of Youtube footage....

Can somebody explain what Dci & FHD are please?

DCI is a different format of 4K video. From Wikipedia:

4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels.[1] Digital television and digital cinematography commonly use several different 4K resolutions. In television and consumer media, 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) is the dominant 4K standard, whereas the movie projection industry uses 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K).

FHD just stands for Full High Definition, which is 1920x1080, also known as 1080p.

Thanks for the explanation Garry, that makes a lot more sense to me now.

I'm glad it makes a lot more sense to you Steve.

I've also been playing around with quite a bit of video recently with nowhere near the success rate that @garryknight has with his (he's a mind of useful information) and he has helped me considerably.

I've only just gone back to the drawing board so to speak with mine as I realize now that it appears to be better to shoot in LUT (whatever that is) and colour grade in post. It's a whole new learning curve but is all very interesting.

George.

Thanks for your kind comments, George.

LUT means Look-Up Table and it's actually used in post-processing video during colour grading. The idea is basically that the computer looks at the colour of each pixel and uses a look-up table to compute a replacement colour for that pixel. You make sure all your video clips look the same in terms of brightness, contrast, sharpness, colour balance, and so on, and then you apply a LUT. This way all of your clips share the same 'look'. (Unless, of course, you want some clips to be different, e.g. during a toned-down flashback sequence.) There's a good explanation of LUTs and how to use them here.

So you actually use LUTs while colour-grading, and not in-camera. Although, given the way computational photography is going it could be that simple in-camera filters (like the ones you see used on Instagram) will be applied in-camera once the camera's processor is fast enough. And I use the word 'camera' in a somewhat old-fashioned sense, meaning DSLRs, compact cameras, mirrorless cameras, and so on. Smartphone cameras have been doing computational photography for some time now and it's only getting better and better. The new iPhone 12, for example, has what I consider to be one of the most advanced cameras in the world, and I think that Apple's new ProRaw format could have a big impact on the world of smartphone photography.

Thanks for your kind comments, George.

LUT means Look-Up Table and it's actually used in post-processing video during colour grading. The idea is basically that the computer looks at the colour of each pixel and uses a look-up table to compute a replacement colour for that pixel. You make sure all your video clips look the same in terms of brightness, contrast, sharpness, colour balance, and so on, and then you apply a LUT. This way all of your clips share the same 'look'. (Unless, of course, you want some clips to be different, e.g. during a toned-down flashback sequence.) There's a good explanation of LUTs and how to use them here.

So you actually use LUTs while colour-grading, and not in-camera. Although, given the way computational photography is going it could be that simple in-camera filters (like the ones you see used on Instagram) will be applied in-camera once the camera's processor is fast enough. And I use the word 'camera' in a somewhat old-fashioned sense, meaning DSLRs, compact cameras, mirrorless cameras, and so on. Smartphone cameras have been doing computational photography for some time now and it's only getting better and better. The new iPhone 12, for example, has what I consider to be one of the most advanced cameras in the world, and I think that Apple's new ProRaw format could have a big impact on the world of smartphone photography.

I don't know what to say Garry other than a "BIG THANK YOU" once again. I am slowly getting there believe it or not.

I'm doing all of my video editing using "LumaFusion" once again via your recommendation. I'm also using "Filmic Pro" for my iPhone video with my "DJI Osmo 3" gimbal now as they've recently made them compatible. But sadly my gimbal probably won't be compatible with the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" which was announced yesterday and I intend to get as almost certainly it'll be too heavy & large for my particular gimbal.

George.

Well my boss has viewed the video and is over the moon.... So thanks again Garry...

I don't know what to say Garry other than a "BIG THANK YOU" once again. I am slowly getting there believe it or not.

I'm doing all of my video editing using "LumaFusion" once again via your recommendation. I'm also using "Filmic Pro" for my iPhone video with my "DJI Osmo 3" gimbal now as they've recently made them compatible. But sadly my gimbal probably won't be compatible with the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" which was announced yesterday and I intend to get as almost certainly it'll be too heavy & large for my particular gimbal.

George.

You're always welcome, George. But yes, Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a downward spiral. ;)

You don't really need to be shooting LOG and using LUTs initially, it will have a standard setting try that perhaps back contrast and saturation down a couple of points in the camera they are usually too high.
There's plenty of stuff to get to grips with through even basic editing and rendering without trying to grade it manually too.

Back