TP. When to critique?

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
What's the etiquette here when it comes to critique?

It seems like there's a few togs here who just want the Flickr experience (y):kiss:(y) wow, great, amazing!!!!....

Is there a tag I should be looking for either way? I don't want to insult people who think their photos are perfect but I do want to provide input and ideas for those who want critique...

(I used to be active here years ago, just checking things haven't changed)

Last edited:
I tend to assume if someone has uploaded a photo they are happy to listen to the ensuing discussion and others opinion of the photo, its the whole point of a forum. I will offer my opinion whether good or bad and if they take it they do if they dont they dont. Its just my opinion.

I personally would never be offended if someone didnt like my photos as they are all personal taste. Always happy to hear tips on how to improve. If somone gave a snotty response I would no longer comment on their photos in future.

Images are subjective, whats good to one person may not be liked by another. Personally as long as you explain what you like or don't like about the image and don't just write thats great or thats crap, I don't mind. It's a learning experience both ways as critiquing makes you think.

One of my main reasons for being here is for critique, a very good way to improve your photography as long as it's constructive.

I'll give it too, I feel like I should say more sometimes but don't want to offend. I'm also mindful that there are many much better togs than myself here too.

IMO, if a pic is uploaded here in the image forums, then good critique should be expected as part and parcel. (y)

There's a critique tag which makes things nice & easy. I also tend to critique images when someone has asked for comments. If people put the effort in to show their photo then type up what they were trying to achieve, I'm more likely to invest effort in a critique.

I avoid anything that is just an image with no text or "Saw this and thought it was nice" and always "this is just a snap". Or any image where the poster clearly doesn't seem to want critique. It avoids the annoying timewaste of giving someone critique like "you chopped off her head" and getting the response "it's by design".
I also avoid anything where I have no expertise (macro, astro, sport etc), as well as anything where I can't find one single good thing to say.

I use the "like" button for photos I like, but don't crit (for reasons above) and oddly I think I rarely "like" photos I do crit.
If I don't like an image, I'll always say why. Not doing that is counter productive and probably the reason crit is so badly received. Saying "It's rubbish" isn't actually crit - it's just an opinion, and a worthless, low-effort one to boot.

I'm in total agreement with @Harlequin565, that's pretty much my approach. The thing I would add is that if people are critiquing my photos I tend to look at some of theirs to get an understanding of what they like and what standard they are at. There seem to be a few people who like to chip in, particuarly on busier threads, who never post a photo and don't have a link to a portfolio or gallery, I tend to ignore their crit. simply on the basis that I have no idea where they are "coming from" photographically.

What's the etiquette here when it comes to critique?

It seems like there's a few togs here who just want the Flickr experience (y):kiss:(y) wow, great, amazing!!!!....

Is there a tag I should be looking for either way? I don't want to insult people who think their photos are perfect but I do want to provide input and ideas for those who want critique...

(I used to be active here years ago, just checking things haven't changed)

Basically anything except "Photos for Pleasure" under the 'Sharing & Critique' section are open for critique ... simply be polite, there is no benefit to being rude about a photo. :)

Thanks all, you've put my mind at ease. The last thing I want to do is upset fellow togs.

Basically anything except "Photos for Pleasure" under the 'Sharing & Critique' section are open for critique ... simply be polite, there is no benefit to being rude about a photo. :)

:agree:

Thanks all, you've put my mind at ease. The last thing I want to do is upset fellow togs.
I personally post in the critique section as I’m, um looking for critique and help, if you ever see mine feel free to be as blunt as you feel, as long as it’s backed up by how to make it better :).

I believe if it’s posted in that section, your basically asking for good and bad, I used to do a lot of training/evaluations etc and was always expected to go, the good, the bad and finish on a high.

I work on the principle that someone with basic knowledge prob has an idea of what’s right and wrong with the picture and maybe looking for clarification or help.

If it’s got my name on it, feel free to rip it to shreds, but please finish with “maybe try this way next time or this prob would of been better”

Just my two pennies worth

I try to talk about the elements I think are good, and then talk about potential improvements or different approaches. If a picture really hits the spot, then I congratulate them.

This is quite handy for budding Street togs out there that 9/10 take a shot of of some random walking past or from behind a lot. I try to point out that trying to capture moments you see on the streets with people and environments can make a photo stand out from the millions of randoms walking past or miles away or just and backs of head. Obviously there are no rules, and you can get great shots of these things with practice, but sometimes suggesting other things can be really helpful.

I have had some useful feedback on here, and when it's constructive it is useful.

I agree that there are some people on here that treat it more like Flickr, and just seem to want an ego boost than to improve abilities. Just a simple post from me really.

Spot on Roger, ( on both points) that's the reason that "Photo's for pleasure" was started, for those that just wanted to share with no critique.

Back