TP's Canon Assignment entries

Thanks guys, I just feel bad for those who may have been pipped at the finish line by some random proffesional.

Ok so another in the top 10 of the sports section

http://www.craigdutton.com/portfolio/portfolio.php

Quote from his web site
I have enjoyed relative success from heading up the photography teams for some of the biggest events in the world to producing covers, articles and adverts in some of the worlds leading magazine titles such as Mens Health, Bicycling, Salt Water Girl and Playboy.

Seems like pro to me...............Bah humbug

Jake the whole thing is a total joke, public vote saw to that, you have photos in sections that don't even cover the brief. Some great shots were submitted but never had the sponsors unlike the crap shots that got through that were nothing more than snaps.

Hang on a minute, I'm not being a sore loser but I thought this was for amateur togs. You know the rugby tackle where they are both upside down...

So I thought I would have a look on google for him and http://www.simongardiner.com/

Ah well, never mind ;)

Kel, have you seen the one from the Six Nations, by David Shaw? Another pro...!

:bang:

Thanks again for the support. I wonder how many pro's are in the top 10 across the world, you would have thought canon would put a stop to it. Otherwise no one will be entering their comps again, it's a real shame :crying:

I think there's more than you think, in the sports uk final 10 I now know of three :LOL:

Right I'm going to be a sore loser now. I really don't think it's fair at all for Pro's to be entering an Amateur competition - too late to say anything to Canon now......

:bang::bang::bang:

Has anyone seen how many Nikon users got through over the 4 groups?

Ok so another in the top 10 of the sports section

http://www.craigdutton.com/portfolio/portfolio.php

Quote from his web site
I have enjoyed relative success from heading up the photography teams for some of the biggest events in the world to producing covers, articles and adverts in some of the worlds leading magazine titles such as Mens Health, Bicycling, Salt Water Girl and Playboy.

Seems like pro to me...............Bah humbug

The first line gives it away:

I am a professional photo journalist and contribute travel and adventure related aricles and images to publications such as Runners World, Bicycling, Ride Magazine, Mens' Health, Adventure Kayak, Paddling, SA Paddler, Salt Water Girl, Go Multi and various newspapers and stock image libraries. Awards include best photographer in the Media24 Excellence awards for the first semester in 2006 and an honourable mention in 2005.

Right I'm going to be a sore loser now. I really don't think it's fair at all for Pro's to be entering an Amateur competition - too late to say anything to Canon now......

:bang::bang::bang:

Nothing sore about it mate.... the rules say no pro's - that's why I didnt enter :LOL:

Has anyone seen how many Nikon users got through over the 4 groups?

Puts hand up, I'm at least one of them! ;)

Meerly a tool! :p

I think we may have to boycott the next canon comp, or at least email them in discust

I tried to find a mail link to the someone responsible for comp but failed, the more I think about it the more it makes me mad, and think this was nothing more than a huge email minesweep exercise for canon as they are losing the grip on the DSLR market.

Has anyone mailed them yet?? When I do i am going to point them at this thread so they know I am not just an isolated whinger...

I've mailed them through the main Canon site

I suppose it will be interesting to find out the voting. I mean how many votes did you need to get into the top ten. I am sure the 7 I got wasnt quite enough. ( Thanks Mum )(y)

this is my first post here, by following a link from my stats counter on my website, i came across this thread.
i participated in the canon assignment and i am in the top 10 in the sport category.
I guess some of you decided to investigate based on the rules of the competiton, who is a worthy top 10 semifinalist.
some of you pointed out that there might be pro photographer there.
and then i saw that there was a link to my website with the same assumtion.

i have a passion for photography and i would like to one day be able to say that i generate all my income from my passion. but the truth is that i dont even make 3 percent of my income from photography.

i do have a website, to showcase my photography and hope to become pro in the near future.

with all that said i wish the best of luck to anybody remaining in the top 10 exept maybe the sport category because lets face it, it is a competition and i want to win.

regards

Pete

Hiya Pete

I am guessing your photo is the wave one. Anyway, as its a public vote to get into the top 10, tell me how did you do this. Just your address book or advertise on sites etc etc. Good luck in the next round.

hey jake, i simply sent an email to my friends and familly. i also asked people at work if they wanted to vote. I can say that i know of about 15 people that voted for me for sure and possibly more but i dont know the exact number.
My wife has a big familly:) 7 sisters, i guess that helps and they all support and encourage me and my photography, i am very greatfull.

btw: yes my photo is the "one last wave"

regards

pete

sorry i just called you jake , but i see that your real name is Andy, my aplogy

Like I said before it's not about the photography it's about the voting strategy and the more people you know and can get to vote for you the better you are, I'm just glad the last choice is not down to the public although I should think with the right plan 10 semi finalists could have quite easily gone that route to get there and it could have quite easily backfired on canons part and they might have ended up with 10 crap entries. Now that would have been a showcase to be envious of :LOL:

Maybe its a thought for next year. Prime up as many people as you can then enter your worst shot. Canon and 10 crap pictures. Oh to be a fly on the wall of the Canon offices next year. Enough now, I will enter mine into the local flowershow. A small photographic section, not normally more than 7 photos entered. Hopefully it will make the top ten. Unlike my my broad beans with only two entries, and mine came third. Judge said they were not straight enough for second place..........................

Congrats n30mkii for your exellent photo in the top 10. good luck in the semi final.

pete

soon as a competition like this is open to public voting its a sure thing it comes down to popularity contest rather than actually impressing the judges. ok, so it maybe makes their job easier when it comes to splitting the last few down but it happened with the sony one not long ago...and what's with canon blatantly ignoring the fact Pros entered when it implicitly states within the rules 'no professionals'. utter nonsense. had a flip through the landscape ones and there's some obviously great images not in the 'top 10' over some that are, as noted previously in this thread I'd probably de-classify a few of those as landscapes too...
I wonder what Canon's stance is towards the professionals that have entered, and admitted to it? would be nice to hear their take on it.

I've noticed that canon have posted the top ten's from each category. What do you all think?

Congrats n30mkii for your exellent photo in the top 10. good luck in the semi final.

pete

I stand corrected - only 3 pro's in the top 10 then :LOL: (although I must say I thought you were pro from looking at your website, you certainly come across as one)

Well done Pete for getting in the top 10 :clap: and welcome to our forums. Stick around :D

Well it's the 26th Today and I've not heard anything from Canon, so I'm guessing my entry hasn't gone any further :(. Good luck to those that were also in the top 10!

It says on the site that semi finalists will be selected by 6th June so I'm assuming that's why you haven't heard anything yet. Fingers crossed for you

Ah - I think that's what the results bit in the menu might be about as well.. So I still won't find out how many (or how few) votes I received :LOL:

Where have you read that Kelack? I had seen this in the T & C's
The Semi-finalists and Finalists will be contacted by Canon by e-mail and telephone on 26th May 2008.

*edit* Just found that is says it on the main front page. I'm guessing the winners already know who they are from the above in the terms and conditions though

Ah I see

Oh okay then, sorry mate :(

:coat:

I'll keep :muted: next time and make sure I've read all the :rules: properly!

No probelm Kelack, I'm guessing the info in the T&C will be correct, even if it was a bank holiday. It would have been nice to have an email saying weldone on making it to the top 10 but you haven't made it to the semi finals.

Just for clarification really.

Never mind though, I'm happy with making it this far! :)

One of the photos in the macro bit was winner of the Pract Photo mag!

Is it me or when you go in the Landscape section there is more than 10 photos?!?!

i noticed that shot myself, i thought the rules stated that any photo that has won in any competition is disallowed. :thumbsdown:

Oh well rant over, good luck to anyone in the last stages!! (y)

Back