track day questions

Name
John Francis
Edit My Images
Yes
just after some info on where is the best place to rent a lens from, and what lens should i use for a track day.
at the moment i have a nikon D50 and D60 with a 55-200mm, but i am after something a bit bigger for the day.
the track day is at oulton park, this friday.
just a few questions:
- what is the best lens to use?
- where is the best/cheapest place to hire it from?
- do the owners of the oulton park allow photographers?
thanks

just after some info on where is the best place to rent a lens from, and what lens should i use for a track day.
at the moment i have a nikon D50 and D60 with a 55-200mm, but i am after something a bit bigger for the day.
the track day is at oulton park, this friday.
just a few questions:
- what is the best lens to use?
- where is the best/cheapest place to hire it from?
- do the owners of the oulton park allow photographers?
thanks

Have a look at the kit Lenses For Hire have available - my choice would be the 120-300 f/2.8 Sigma, which will af on your D50, but not the D60.

There are loads and loads of threads in the Motorsport section full of shots from Oulton Park and I'm sure some of the culprits will be along shorly to give you advice on that part of your question (y)

Lenses for hire is a good place to rent from, StewartR is a member here, but the key thing is that they do not charge a deposit unlike their competitors.

Oulton Park permit photographers, and track days is free access and often pit lane / pit wall access, but not trackside access unless you have accreditation and insurance.

If the track day is this Friday, then you may have left it too late to get the lens you want, especially in holiday season.

If you're going to Oulton, a 200mm lens may well be big enough at a couple of places. Certainly at Druids, Lodge, Cascades and Knickerbrook 200mm is plenty long enough to get decent shots. Is it a car or a bike trackday?

its a bike track day.
thanks for all the help so far, does anyone know how long it takes for delivery of a hire lens?

its a bike track day.
thanks for all the help so far, does anyone know how long it takes for delivery of a hire lens?

Cross Knickerbrook off the 200mm list then, bikes are a little too small. Lodge, Druids, Cascades, The Avenue and Hilltop are all still fine with 200mm though if you don't manage to get a hire lens in time. Have a look at my Flickr for loads and loads of shots from most places around Oulton Park

i was looking at renting a 300mm f2.8 and also a teleconveter, should be fine with that

Back