Tracking Birds Technique

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Im on the lookout for a bit of advise on tracking birds in flight.

At present I am watching a local Barn Owl whenever I have time and the light is good, with each visit getting me better results.

I just wanted to find out what the best way to track birds in flight is from a technique point of view?

Currently I am using an EM1 Mk2 + 300m + 1.4tc, with a red dot spotter. Once I have the bird in the spotter I try and move to the viewfinder and sort of brace elbows in and try tracking the bird. Im still finding it a bit difficult to track and wondered if Im doing anything completely wrong, or is it just that I need more practise :) This is all handheld

Any help much appreciated

Not being an Oly user I have no idea what the red dot spotter is???

So, let me start by asking the basics ~ how are you holding the camera/lens combo? Using the using the viewfinder or does the Oly let you use a form of 'live view' i.e the rear LCD screen?

If the latter method I am not surprised that you are struggling........................if the former then that is a good start.

Please answer the above and I & others can then chip in :)

The red dot is some sort of target thing so that I can point the camera in the ball park direction before bringing it to my eye. Link

Holding the camera - left hand under lens, right hand on the grip, eye on the viewfinder - trying to keep it all locked in then track by turning/using my body

Hope that helps

A few sites with BiF guidance, most of which take a given that you are holing the camera well.............but do mention 'best' panning practices.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/tips-on-how-to-photograph-birds-in-flight-15714

http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/8.10.html

There are many others including youTube videos

But apart from settings to suit the subject the rest is cameracraft i.e. user technique and handling. Even the best do not get a 100% keeper rate!

Thanks, I will have a read of this later, appreciate your help

Never heard of the Red Dot target device? I have no idea how usefull it may or not may be for BiF as it says it is attached external to the viewfinder..................so do you look through the VF and it is illuminating the subject with a red dot like in the movies for snipers?

Holding description sounds OK but when panning/following the subject you should rotate from the waist i.e. not rotate at shoulder level. The left hand is supporting the weight of the combo and the right hand is just there to balance and press the shutter ~ do not grip too tight with either hand.

The AF settings of which in the Oly I know not are your friend ~ in the Canon with a BiF I tend to use with AF Servo for tracking and focus acquisition. Having said that for a bird behaviour where it holds a steady left to right across your position one shot AF depending on the DoF will mean the bird should be in focus for say 3 to 5 frames if firing in a burst. But as mentioned AI Servo does the business for birds that move erratically or are coming more headon towards you.

Now keeping the 'focus point(s)' on the bird and/or if the AF Servo tracking sensitivity can be controlled is the challenge and there is no one answer ~ a combination of the users cameracraft and the potentiality of the AFsystem of the camera will affect how good your keeper rate is???

Sorry, just re-read your OP about the spotter.......................IMO forget the spotter for BiF, use the VF and develop your BiF cameracraft, oh, birds can move much quicker than you think so unless you are artistically aiming for blurred wings start with a Tv of >1/1000s.

How about posting some of the images here to get feedback based on what you are currently getting and do include the EXIF data ;)

I really appreciate the info, and its pretty much what I am doing, I think I just need to go and practise more!

I will post some images up and hopefully get some feedback on them

I use a red dot sight when things get *VERY* demanding. But it needs to be aligned to the central focus point for the subject distance range, and the AF mode needs to be selected based upon the situation... even then it's a bit of "pray and spray." When things are easier you can use the sight to get the panning/tracking established and then switch to the viewfinder which should yield a little more consistency. And even easier yet, just start with the viewfinder. The key to all of this, and any panning/tracking situation is to pick up the subject and start the tracking as early as possible. It is having the motion well established that provides the smoothness/stability.

This is what I mean when I say "very difficult"

Tree swallow at 400mm at ~ 35ft

Tree Swallow
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Chimney Swift at 800mm at ~ 60ft

Chimney Swift by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

This last few months, I''ve taken one or two (hundred :D) shots of owls in flight, all hand held.

Good contrasting light is a must for a higher keeper rate, Barn Owls are a good colour, so separation from bg fields and vegetation does make them easier than LEO's for me.

One thing I will add, its like with any hobby, I can be really good one evening, locking on focus, panning and coming away with a good hit rate. The next evening might have better light, the bird close and more open but my hit rate can be very low and disappointing.

I've often wonder the cause, tired arms from a busier day at work, sometimes my minds not just 'on it' but I still want to be there taking shots, possibly plenty of other reasons

Just keep at it, enjoy the bird and good shots will come (y)

Edit- If I am having a bad evening, I'll shorten the focal length, , just means a heavier crop but probably 80% of mine are just record shots anyway. Not much help with a prime but if you are struggling one evening, try without the tc, see if that helps

Last edited:
Again, thank you for the info, Im off out again tonight lets see how I get on

@sk66, that swallow is pretty impressive!

there is a short video on how to use the Olympus EE-1 red dot sight on youtube Which I found quite useful when I got mine, I have seen an increasing number of people using red dot rifle sights for the same purpose.

Last edited:
Back