Tracking mode (EOS R5) on cars

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Just looking for some opinions on what focus mode people use these days. Back in the day when I did this sort of stuff more regulally, I'd pre focus on a point or select a predefined Focus point and track the part of the car I wanted in focus with that point.

I've recently upgraded from an original 7D to an R5 and started getting out and about to racing events with it. At first I was really impressed by the tracking focus mode as it allowed me to execute several shots of 1 car every lap, especially useful in the forests when the car only comes round once....(!), by just tracking it and moving my camera to suit where i needed it in the frame.

However I tend to find that as brilliant as it has been on some ocasions a lot of the time (on vehicle tracking mode rather than person or pet) it picks up the windscreen and tracks that which throws the front of the car out of focus. It can work fine for 3/4 or side ons but for things where the direction of travel is coming towards you, I would prefer it to pick up the front or the picture is not quite what I want. I've now resorted to going back to point focus for these situations.

Any one found similar?

Last edited:
Exactly that. It’s great for side on pans, but I find the vehicle tracking doesn’t do what I want it to a lot of the time. For that reason I predominantly stick to single point focus, using mf and vehicle tracking occasionally

Reactions: A_S
I am just wondering if there is a way to adjust it. Guess not but it would be useful!

When I photograph fast moving jets people mode works most of the time but I also revert to single point for head on shots.

Back