Traffic Trails and Fairground

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Well,the fair turned up for the Christmas lights and i just had to get there!:)

First time photographing the fair!

6407323169_4bc9920a9c_z.jpg

Thoughts Anyone!:thinking:

Hi Simon, potentially this could have been a cracking shot, to be honest it is a great shot but some of the lights are blown out due to over exposure. How many seconds was the exposure?

Hi Simon, potentially this could have been a cracking shot, to be honest it is a great shot but some of the lights are blown out due to over exposure. How many seconds was the exposure?

Yea I realise that know!:bonk:
I had it in Bulb and just 1 full rotation of the ride as it only had a straight bar with 1 seat at either end.
If i had a shorter exposure i didn't get a full circle!

Yea I realise that know!:bonk:
I had it in Bulb and just 1 full rotation of the ride as it only had a straight bar with 1 seat at either end.
If i had a shorter exposure i didn't get a full circle!

I know what you mean, if your aperture was closed right down and ISO as low as possible, then you would have needed an ND filter to master this shot.

Night shots can be difficult :bang:

I know what you mean, if your aperture was closed right down and ISO as low as possible, then you would have needed an ND filter to master this shot.

Night shots can be difficult :bang:

ISO was 100 aperture was f16 so could have been smaller but I'm learning all the time!:clap:

Would never have thought about using filters at night!:bonk:

Thanks for the advice!(y)

that looks like it'll be swadlincote in all it's neon fairground glory by the looks of it ,did you take any of the fireworks

that looks like it'll be swadlincote in all it's neon fairground glory by the looks of it ,did you take any of the fireworks

That's correct!:clap:

Unfortunately I didn't get any of the fireworks as i was down there with the wife an kids and had to be home before they set them off!
Watched them out of the landing window and they did look good!
Wish i had of had the opportunity to shoot them!:crying:

That's correct!:clap:

Unfortunately I didn't get any of the fireworks as i was down there with the wife an kids and had to be home before they set them off!
Watched them out of the landing window and they did look good!
Wish i had of had the opportunity to shoot them!:crying:

fireworks were very good ,one of the few things swad council do well :D i did see another tog taking photo's of the fireworks up by the skate park thing top of the ski slope i didn't get chance to wander through the town as hunger pains struck so wen't to eat instead ,great first effort for fair ride (y)

fireworks were very good ,one of the few things swad council do well :D i did see another tog taking photo's of the fireworks up by the skate park thing top of the ski slope i didn't get chance to wander through the town as hunger pains struck so wen't to eat instead ,great first effort for fair ride (y)

I probably know the tog up by the skate park!

I go to a photography course at Pingle School and they normally do a night photography assignment around this time because of the easy opportunities available but wouldn't know as i missed last week!

How would i hold back the exposure on the fairground ride lights but expose correctly for everything else?

Any help greatly appreciated!:)

I would have looked at shooting at f/22, ISO100 with maybe and ND8 Grad in place also, how long was your exposure?

Matt

I would have looked at shooting at f/22, ISO100 with maybe and ND8 Grad in place also, how long was your exposure?

Matt

I shot iso100 f16 and exposed for 1 full revolution of the ride to get a full circle as the ride was a straight bar with just a seat at either end.

I think it took about 2 secs to go round a full circle when at full speed.

Looks like i may have to invest in some filters!:help:

Good attempt and as you said you are aware of the weaknesses - its all about playing with the setting to get a cracking shot - you have your starting point, so go back and try again, I know it will improve, just takes practise, and yeah, maybe a filter too ;)

What processing have you done to this as it seems very bright for a 2 second exposure, maybe a post a link to the actual image on flickr so I can have a look at a bigger image,

mini rant but I do hate this way of posting images on the forum :bang:

I will take a look at the Exif in a bit when the kids are in bed to see exactly what the exposure was!

I shot it in Raw and didn't do much too it if I remember correctly.

What is the best way of posting images on the forum?

What processing have you done to this as it seems very bright for a 2 second exposure, maybe a post a link to the actual image on flickr so I can have a look at a bigger image,

Matt just looked at Exif and you were correct it was a 10 sec exposure!

Think i took this one just as the ride was starting!

I have taken the exposure down in raw by 2 stops and it looks a lot better!(y)

I will take a look at the Exif in a bit when the kids are in bed to see exactly what the exposure was!

I shot it in Raw and didn't do much too it if I remember correctly.

What is the best way of posting images on the forum?

Personally I would prefer it if everyone would post using the flickr BBCode at that allows you to click on the image if you wish to view a larger version and see the exif if available (y) it also allows me to add people as contacts as and where I see fit :D

If your not sure about BBCode just follow these instructions :D

Flickr Insert Image on Forum by mwhcvt, on Flickr

If you posting just a few images I'll post the max permitted 1024px on the longest in my 365 thread as it's rather pic heavy I post 640px

Matt just looked at Exif and you were correct it was a 10 sec exposure!

Think i took this one just as the ride was starting!

I have taken the exposure down in raw by 2 stops and it looks a lot better!(y)

I guessed it was a longer than two seconds exposure :D I've done hundreds of long exposure with THIS being once I'm very proud of recently :thumbs

I hope that you'll be posting the edited version (y)

Matt

That's a lot better (y) there is a lot more definition in the edited version (y) your never going to get it all back as some of it is totally blown out you have then lost that detail but the power of raw is undeniable (y)

Matt

Personally I would prefer it if everyone would post using the flickr BBCode at that allows you to click on the image if you wish to view a larger version and see the exif if available (y) it also allows me to add people as contacts as and where I see fit :D

If your not sure about BBCode just follow these instructions :D

Flickr Insert Image on Forum by mwhcvt, on Flickr

If you posting just a few images I'll post the max permitted 1024px on the longest in my 365 thread as it's rather pic heavy I post 640px

I guessed it was a longer than two seconds exposure :D I've done hundreds of long exposure with THIS being once I'm very proud of recently :thumbs

I hope that you'll be posting the edited version (y)

Matt

Thanks Matt I'll use this method in the future!:clap:

looks better to me (y),o/t how you finding the photography course at pingle i have considered doing it a couple of times but vowed never to walk back through them doors the day i left :D

looks better to me (y),o/t how you finding the photography course at pingle i have considered doing it a couple of times but vowed never to walk back through them doors the day i left :D

It's quite good the guy that does it is a press tog!
I enjoy it because it gets me out of the house for a couple of hours a week with a group of like minded people!

It helped me no end when i first got my DSLR but now i probably need a bit of a higher level as my pics tend to shine there but then compared to most of the stuff on here they are duff!:)

Back