Traffic Trails

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
6128442166_fd171f1fa9_z.jpg

6128437836_f305d5dfc9_z.jpg

6127883965_9fbcc76b1d_z.jpg

Spent a little time the other night trying traffic trails my first attempt!:LOL:

Any thoughts?

Not a bad effort at all (y) I really like the composition of the first (y) it work's well, I think you need to get there a little later :LOL: it's odd to have to say that, but there is a little too much light for my taste it's almost like daylight :bonk: but overall you've done a really good job (y) I like the movement in the clouds

Matt
MWHCVT

Not a bad effort at all (y) I really like the composition of the first (y) it work's well, I think you need to get there a little later :LOL: it's odd to have to say that, but there is a little too much light for my taste it's almost like daylight :bonk: but overall you've done a really good job (y) I like the movement in the clouds

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Matt,
I did stay until it was pitch black but some how prefered the earlier shots with the detail.

Hi can you tell me how you managed to get this effect did you use a filter to stop down the light?

TIA Lads

Long exposure, Jon.

Once the sun's set but before it gets fully dark, the light left in the sky and at ground level allows you to replicate daylight by running the exposure for an extended period. The longer you expose for, the brighter it gets. For traffic trails, it's worth starting about the ISO200 15sec and f/11 mark. A test exposure a few minutes after sunset will tell you what adjustments to make. Too bright, tighten up the aperture; too dim, extend the exposure.

Matt (MWHCVT) has got a more detailed tutorial in his sig.

Hi Simon,

I have to say that no.2 really stands out for me.
I think you've got the composition spot on. Some really strong leading lines with the road and the barrier that take my eye right into the picture and the moving cloud detail in the sky has come out really well.

Personally, I also love the fact that it's not quite full dark.
As much as I like the "night-time" feel that you normally see with light trails I think it's really refreshing to see something different - combining the light trails with what appears to be a day-time scene and the extra detail that's given you has added another dimension that you don't normally see in these sort of shots. (y) from me.

Hi can you tell me how you managed to get this effect did you use a filter to stop down the light?

TIA Lads

As has been said I didn't use any filters.
If i remember rightly these were approx 30secs at f16 just extending the time as the light dropped.

It really was a lot darker in reality than it looks the extended exposure makes it look lighter but there was sill lots of detail left in the sky!

Hi Simon,

I have to say that no.2 really stands out for me.
I think you've got the composition spot on. Some really strong leading lines with the road and the barrier that take my eye right into the picture and the moving cloud detail in the sky has come out really well.

Personally, I also love the fact that it's not quite full dark.
As much as I like the "night-time" feel that you normally see with light trails I think it's really refreshing to see something different - combining the light trails with what appears to be a day-time scene and the extra detail that's given you has added another dimension that you don't normally see in these sort of shots. (y) from me.

Thanks Sarah,:clap:

I was trying for something a bit different from the pitch dark taken from a bridge thing!

Back