Trail cam Victure HC500 help (Resolved)

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
Despite my best efforts I cannot get it to work as a trail cam.
Have read and followed the manual re: intial setup a hundred times but nowhere does it tell how to switch it into 'Trail Cam' mode.
I can do all other functions inc. wifi, bluetooth, taking photos and videos manually but cannot make it work 'remotely'.
On one YouTube review it shows switching up from 'Setup' to 'On', wait for countdown to end then switch back to 'Setup'.
His screen shows video icon before and after, mine changes from video to camera icon.
The sensors flash on when movement detected but nothing else happens.
I don't pretend to be a techy in any sense of the word but I can usually get things to work eventuall but have given up with this.
If anyone knows how to get this to work I'd be much obliged, Only received it yesterday so it can go back to Amazon tomorrow if necessary.
Thanks in anticipation.

If you're using this camera to see what wildlife is knocking about in your garden then I'd suggest you use video mode only, selecting a 20 or 30 second video recording (depending on memory card space and how often you can download and delete the recordings (to avoid the card filling up completely). I've found that using camera mode only can miss the animal that's triggered it, particularly if the animal is just within the PIR sensor range but outside the camera's field of view, whereas with a 30 second video, the triggering animal (or part of it!) invariably wanders into frame eventually. I'd also avoid a combination of photos and video, as this slows down the trigger time and the animal may well have long gone before the video starts.

The only time I'd use camera mode would be if I was leaving the trail cam in place for a few weeks without returning to and needed the memory card space, and I'd select the 3 images per trigger function to increase the chance of recording the animal. Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
If you're using this camera to see what wildlife is knocking about in your garden then I'd suggest you use video mode only, selecting a 20 or 30 second video recording (depending on memory card space and how often you can download and delete the recordings (to avoid the card filling up completely). I've found that using camera mode only can miss the animal that's triggered it, particularly if the animal is just within the PIR sensor range but outside the camera's field of view, whereas with a 30 second video, the triggering animal (or part of it!) invariably wanders into frame eventually. I'd also avoid a combination of photos and video, as this slows down the trigger time and the animal may well have long gone before the video starts.

The only time I'd use camera mode would be if I was leaving the trail cam in place for a few weeks without returning to and needed the memory card space, and I'd select the 3 images per trigger function to increase the chance of recording the animal. Hope this is useful.

Thanks, I have it in video mode, 25 seconds with 20 seconds 'wait' time, having seen that recommendation in the YT reviews, with a 128gb/150mbss sd card.
So pleased I got it working - there is nothing wrong with it just the HC500 manual misses out the most important bit but it's in the HC400 manual in clear detail (on their website).
Daytime image quality is is very good and looking forward to seeing what happens tonight.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have it in video mode, 25 seconds with 20 seconds 'wait' time, having seen that recommendation in the YT reviews, with a 128gb/150fps sd card.
So pleased I got it working - there is nothing wrong with it just the HC500 manual misses out the most important bit but it's in the HC400 manual in clear detail (on their website).
Daytime image quality is is very good and looking forward to seeing what happens tonight.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.

Sounds like you're on the right track. It's a case of experimenting with the 'interval time' between videos. I tend to run mine at the minimum (5 secs on my camera) so I don't miss anything, but the down side is that I often get repeated footage of the same animal. So it depends how 'belt and braces' you need to be with your 'hit rate'. I've also opted for the setting below the highest HD one for video, as this has a faster frame rate (30fps instead of 15fps) and I find motion looks better with a higher frame rate so I'm willing to drop from full HD to HD, which I find less noticeable to my eye than the frame rate - but this is down to personal choice. Your trail cam may be different, so it's a case of experimenting and seeing what you personally prefer.

Also, don't use Duracell batteries in your trail cam. I've been told that they don't have the best discharge characteristics for a trail cam (ages on standby then a sudden power drain when it fires up). I was recommended (on a trail cam training course) to use non-rechargeable Lithium batteries such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium, which hold their voltage better in cold weather too. Not cheap, but neither was your camera so why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?

I've also found Duracell batteries are prone to leaking (often corroding the device they're installed in when they do!). I broke my own rule about batteries and put some Duracells in my trail cam a few months ago as I'd nothing else in stock. I've just picked it up off my desk (where it's been sitting for a few months) to check which settings I actually use before replying to your post and found the low battery warning level symbol came on, then it shut down. I took the batteries out and found one of them had just started to leak (fortunately not next to one of the battery compartment terminals), so replying to this post probably saved my trail cam from potentially irreparable damage! So be warned.

Hope this is useful and best of luck with your camera. (y)

Last edited:
I've had a victure 200 for over a year now, manuals are rubbish but the camera is quite good
Not used mine for ages, keep thinking about getting rid of it, but it doesn't cost anything to leave in the cupboard
Hope you get some good captures

I've had a victure 200 for over a year now, manuals are rubbish but the camera is quite good
Not used mine for ages, keep thinking about getting rid of it, but it doesn't cost anything to leave in the cupboard
Hope you get some good captures

Don't forget to remove the batteries if you're leaving it in the cupboard for a while. (y)

Don't forget to remove the batteries if you're leaving it in the cupboard for a while. (y)

Already done when I packed it ages ago, thanks anyway :)
I'm not that old :p

Also, don't use Duracell batteries in your trail cam. I've been told that they don't have the best discharge characteristics for a trail cam (ages on standby then a sudden power drain when it fires up). I was recommended (on a trail cam training course) to use non-rechargeable Lithium batteries such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium, which hold their voltage better in cold weather too. Not cheap, but neither was your camera so why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?

Ordered 24 Duracell Plus earlier :( I'll take your advice re. the Energizer batteries, the Duracell's will get used elsewhere soon enough.
I saw on the YT vids that rechargeable AA batteries were not recommended, I used some years ago never had good results with them.

Can I ask your advice please. I'm very new to this and have just bought my first trail cam, Victure HC500. The instructions that came with it are very basic.
How long should the batteries last? I have gone through 16 Duracell+ batteries in 4 days! It's costing a fortune. It is set to record video only from 9pm to 6am and for 20 seconds at a time.
I tried to find a help desk telephone number for Victure (UK based) but had no joy.
Can anyone give me any advice or point me in the right direction please

Last edited:
Me again
I read in your post you have a 20 second 'wait ' time between videos, excuse my ignorance but which setting is this done under?
The instructions that came with it do not mention any of the setting buttons, what they are for or how to best set them. I've figured most out by trial and error but am not sure which one will give me a pause between videos. Thanks

Graeme,
Resolved, within twenty minutes of posting this plea I cracked it - and it's not in the manual !
Should anyone else buy a Victure HC500 trail cam and need a kind word I'll be very happy to help.
I am where you were on 16 Feb. Ready to launch the camera back to Amazon. Am using an iPhone XS running 14.4. The app seems very flaky connecting to the camera via WiFi (and crashes regularly, too), but I also have got to the stage of being able to manually take photos and videos. What’s the secret to getting the camera to work automatically? - it’s driving me nuts! TIA

Graeme,

I am where you were on 16 Feb. Ready to launch the camera back to Amazon. Am using an iPhone XS running 14.4. The app seems very flaky connecting to the camera via WiFi (and crashes regularly, too), but I also have got to the stage of being able to manually take photos and videos. What’s the secret to getting the camera to work automatically? - it’s driving me nuts! TIA

*Set the date, time etc, and you have not set a password, then turn cam to OFF
Trail cam is OFF, insert sd card
After you have inserted an SD card push slider switch up from Off to SETUP
Press MODE/ESC button once, 'No Image' appears o screen
Press MODE/ESC button again
Toggle arrow at bottom right hand corner down until FORMAT, press OK
Toggle down to OK and press OK button
Press MODE/ESC button. There is now a camera icon at top left hand corner of screen
Press button at bottom right hand corner once and the camera icon changes to a video camera icon.
Push slider switch up from SETUP to MODE/ESC
AUTO RECORD READY appears on screen and counts from 5 to 0
The trail cam is now set to automatically record.
Hope this helps, it's really great when you've got it going.

*My settings are:
Mode Video
Image size 5M
Picture no. 1 Photo
Shutter speed 1/30
Resolution 1296P
Video length 25
Record audio Off
PIR interval 10 (the minimum)
PIR sensitivity Medium
Time lapse Off
IR LED Auto

Me again
I read in your post you have a 20 second 'wait ' time between videos, excuse my ignorance but which setting is this done under?
The instructions that came with it do not mention any of the setting buttons, what they are for or how to best set them. I've figured most out by trial and error but am not sure which one will give me a pause between videos. Thanks

Sorry, I missed this post.
Please see my settings in next post.
I now have 10 seconds wait between videos ( the minimum) but wish it were less.

Can I ask your advice please. I'm very new to this and have just bought my first trail cam, Victure HC500. The instructions that came with it are very basic.
How long should the batteries last? I have gone through 16 Duracell+ batteries in 4 days! It's costing a fortune. It is set to record video only from 9pm to 6am and for 20 seconds at a time.
I tried to find a help desk telephone number for Victure (UK based) but had no joy.
Can anyone give me any advice or point me in the right direction please

You must be recording a lot to get through batteries like that. I’m doing OK with Duracell Plus but have only been recording at night (hedgehogs) - recording approx 30 x 25 seconds of video a night and only used 8 batteries over 6 nights.
Have now replaced them with Energiser Ultimate Lithium to see how they compare.
I was recommended to not use rechargeable.

Hi - i have the Victure HC500 and have changed all the settings to be the same as above and yet it is still not cutting in quick enough. There appears to be a delay in the animal appearing and the start of filming. Any ideas what i can do before i send it back for a refund? Many thanks x

Hi - i have the Victure HC500 and have changed all the settings to be the same as above and yet it is still not cutting in quick enough. There appears to be a delay in the animal appearing and the start of filming. Any ideas what i can do before i send it back for a refund? Many thanks x

The minimum delay on the HC500 is ten seconds, I agree it is too long.
From what I’ve read other trail cams’ delays can be set to 5.
Have a look at Wildlife Watching and Trail Cameras UK on Facebook - run by Wild View Cameras who will give you expert advice.

I need help!
I cant get wifi connect to my VictureCam HC 500.
Dont know whats wrong.
I am in endless loop between smartphone wifi menue and hunter app.
Any ideas?

I need help!
I cant get wifi connect to my VictureCam HC 500.
Dont know whats wrong.
I am in endless loop between smartphone wifi menue and hunter app.
Any ideas?

It's a bit complicated but here goes -
My phone is iPhone 6s Software version 14.4.2 but the instructions should be the same whatever smartphone with WiFi.
1 Trail cam : Switch to SETUP
2 Press MODE/ESC twice, toggle down to WiFi Off 3 minutes and press OK
3 Hunting Cam App : Select Bluetooth > press WiFi sign > 'CAMERA - TrailCam' appears on screen > Select this > Plus (+) sign appears
4 SmartPhone : Go to Phone settings > WiFi > Networks > choose/select 'Victurec....'
5 Hunting Cam App : Press the Plus (+) sign > Green tick appears > OK > You should now be connected.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
It's still not working.
My phone is Samsung Galaxy A5.
The phone shows "Wifi connected" and the Camera as well.
But I dont get the green arrow in the App and thus no camera pic in the App.
I will try another phone tomorrow.

Just bought the hc500, user manual rubbish managed to set wifi and activate the app, however, when the app is running it collects images from the hc500, but the hc500 does not record. Is this normal or am I missing something.? If I close the app the hc500 still does not record, I'm manually having to switch it off and set it up again.

I have also bought the HC500. I have had it about four days. I can get it to record, photos and video. I can connect my camera to my phone via WiFi. What I can’t do, is see any images, replay images, download images from camera to phone. I can take the memory card out of the camera, and put it into my MacBook. I can then download photos individually, but not the videos. Totally frustrated. I must be missing something!! Any help gratefully received!!

Just bought the hc500, user manual rubbish managed to set wifi and activate the app, however, when the app is running it collects images from the hc500, but the hc500 does not record. Is this normal or am I missing something.? If I close the app the hc500 still does not record, I'm manually having to switch it off and set it up again.

I have also bought the HC500. I have had it about four days. I can get it to record, photos and video. I can connect my camera to my phone via WiFi. What I can’t do, is see any images, replay images, download images from camera to phone. I can take the memory card out of the camera, and put it into my MacBook. I can then download photos individually, but not the videos. Totally frustrated. I must be missing something!! Any help gratefully received!!

I had these 'problems' to solve, which somehow I did successfully but cannot remember how !
My best suggestion is to look on Facebook at Wildlife Watching & Trail Cameras posts, it is run by Wild View Cameras UK - very helpful people.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi all got my victure hc500 two days ago can't seem to get it working properly
Ive done all the setting up clicked the on button then the 5 second countdown happens. come back the following morning nothing recorded I it's as if it just turns off.
After bringing it indoors I turn it on nothing happens for about 15. 20 mins then it comes on. Is it something I'm doing or is it faulty cheers Gilbert

Although I don't have this particular camera, I have found that rechargeable batteries are fine, except when it gets really cold. During these very cold mornings my camera will not function due to "low battery level", but as soon as it starts the temperature warm up, it springs back into life. I recharge my batteries every other day, and have 2 sets of 8, so I always have spares available.

Hi all got my victure hc500 two days ago can't seem to get it working properly
Ive done all the setting up clicked the on button then the 5 second countdown happens. come back the following morning nothing recorded I it's as if it just turns off.
After bringing it indoors I turn it on nothing happens for about 15. 20 mins then it comes on. Is it something I'm doing or is it faulty cheers Gilbert

Sounds faulty to me - BUT
SD card might be faulty. Have you tried a new SD card ? (The size of the SD card should not be more than 128gb)
I presume the batteries showed fully charged before you started the setting up process ?
Was the SD card formatted in the HC500 before doing the setting up ?
Did you change the camera icon to video icon before switching up from SETUP to ON ?
Please let me know how you progress.

Although I don't have this particular camera, I have found that rechargeable batteries are fine, except when it gets really cold. During these very cold mornings my camera will not function due to "low battery level", but as soon as it starts the temperature warm up, it springs back into life. I recharge my batteries every other day, and have 2 sets of 8, so I always have spares available.

I read that rechargeable batteries are NOT recommended.
The best results/usage I've had are with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries

I read that rechargeable batteries are NOT recommended.
The best results/usage I've had are with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries

They're not recommended for mine either (they're 1.2v rather than 1.5) but as I have loads of them, it's cheaper than buying non-rechargeables.

Sounds faulty to me - BUT
SD card might be faulty. Have you tried a new SD card ? (The size of the SD card should not be more than 128gb)
I presume the batteries showed fully charged before you started the setting up process ?
Was the SD card formatted in the HC500 before doing the setting up ?
Did you change the camera icon to video icon before switching up from SETUP to ON ?
Please let me know how you progress.
Hi again thanks for the help I bought it as a package off amazon so new batteries and new 32 gb card.
Yes aslo formatted the card before use
Its weird just brought it in from last night not got anything at all its as if as soon as I shut the door it shuts off. Also took about ten minutes to come on this morning. It has to be faulty. Spoke to someone off amazon I've been issued a refund so I thought I would go buy another one. Only to find out its gone up 15 pounds
Everything seems to be a struggle
Many thanks Gilbert

Hi again thanks for the help I bought it as a package off amazon so new batteries and new 32 gb card.
Yes aslo formatted the card before use
Its weird just brought it in from last night not got anything at all its as if as soon as I shut the door it shuts off. Also took about ten minutes to come on this morning. It has to be faulty. Spoke to someone off amazon I've been issued a refund so I thought I would go buy another one. Only to find out its gone up 15 pounds
Everything seems to be a struggle
Many thanks Gilbert

I bought mine from Amazon for £89, the next day they’d reduced them to £69
At least there’s no quibbling about faulty returns with Amazon.

I bought mine from Amazon for £89, the next day they’d reduced them to £69
At least there’s no quibbling about faulty returns with Amazon.
Nothing worse
So my new one is arriving today my old one I left on in the lounge overnight it recorded the cat didn't have a problem at all. But as soon as it goes outside it turns off like it doesn't like the cold.
Let's hope this new one works perfect
Cheers Gilbert

I use 8 x AA Eneloop batteries on my camera trap. They hold the charge well and are rechargeable. You can buy them on Amazon for £19.

I use 8 x AA Eneloop batteries on my camera trap. They hold the charge well and are rechargeable. You can buy them on Amazon for £19.
I've used them in mine too but the best value is the Eneloop 'clone' from IKEA called LADDA.

Wife bought me a victure HC500 and all seems fine I cannot link it to my phone but that's no big deal. I don't know if I have missed something but when you remove the batteries does it remove the time and date set-up? I thought there may be an internal button battery to keep time and date.

Wife bought me a victure HC500 and all seems fine I cannot link it to my phone but that's no big deal. I don't know if I have missed something but when you remove the batteries does it remove the time and date set-up? I thought there may be an internal button battery to keep time and date.

I don't know your camera, Paul but ours(an old basic Bushnell) takes eight AA batteries. I can replace the top four without affecting the date and time, but if I replace the bottom four and don't do it quickly enough(within around 10/15 seconds), it will lose the date and time.

Dave

No, nothing is affected when removing the battery compartment for changing the batteries.
One small point, there is a 'catch' that stops the compartment from sliding all the way out freely (I presume to stop it falling to the floor and causing damage) just give the compartment a good extra pull to overcome this.

EDIT: Download (the free) 'Trail Cam' app from GD Digital Limited

Last edited:
Resolved, within twenty minutes of posting this plea I cracked it - and it's not in the manual !
Should anyone else buy a Victure HC500 trail cam and need a kind word I'll be very happy to help.
Well, I think we all found out this companies manuals have a lot to be desired. Just about everything is undocumented and one has to find out by fire.
That said, I can't link anything yet, but a manual I found online, shows victure cams can use up to 128 gigs, which I believe to be true as I've used them on an older victure.
The manual in the box always says 32 gigs. Which I believe is a safe nofault card amount to cover victure's butt.

BUT... All manuals state to format the card with fat32. This may also be a safe default. I will test the modern file system ntfs and report back.

The modes of the HC500 are just three. Photo only, video only or photo plus video. Photo just takes like 8 count max at a time then resets to the delay interval till next trigger event - movement. Video only records a video per resolution you set from 10 sec to 3 minutes, stops per time set and waits next trigger event. Photo+video mode is when movement triggered the cam takes one photo to how many you set first then automatically records video per your length setting, regardless if movement stops. Then awaits next trigger event.

What I'm not sure of with victure, and of course no manual mentions this, is the software capable of stopping shooting in any mode if no movement is detected into the timed period.
Other brands do have this ability, and I find nowhere on victure's website or manuals an answer. I also don't know about the blue tooth and wifi functions as I have no intentions of using that ability. The thought of my trail cam wifi active and trained on my camping tent showing me getting up at 4am in my underwear to relieve myself in the woods isn't something I want port scanned across the internet. And believe it, a wifi/internet cam can be found.

One thing I have found out, is that almost 80 percent of these brands are made from the same one or two japanese or chinese firms and rebranded to a mess of different companies, victure being one of them. Which may explain why our manuals are so bad. Japanese/Chinese engineers (Engineers should NEVER write user manuals) writing the the instructions, only to be translated by east indians into Dutch and French, translated into German, who translate that to American. We never stood a chance.

Another thing, one MUST format the media card in the camera AFTER formatting on a windows computer. This establishes the base system file system. You MUST set the proper real time as well. And I found that these models don't seem to save the time settings when changing batteries. Always set the time when changing batteries.
Since I'm a photographer and have been using all sorts of controllable cameras, these trails cams are beyond frustrating for me because they're so lacking features. But I got use to it. What does catch people who don't do photography for a living or hang around nerds, when they correctly have the camera set to record, timer or not, and turn it on ready to go and then look at the media the next day and wonder why nothing was recorded? Believe or not, nothing triggered the camera that night. No bears, mice ... just a nothing night. It happens a lot and people start doubting themselves in setup.

Here's how you solve that. Because this will help you learn the basics of programming aggrevating trail cams and have confindence you are completely capable of setting these cameras as well as all the VCR's still in your house. And I am guilty of not doing this. Set the cam on your table, turn it on to record with motion (if that's even a setting) and then ... walk around in front of it about 20 feet out. First do this in the daylight, make sure you set the time for that time of your test. Then check the media, either by looking at it in camera playback or computer and if everything is set properly, you should see your silly self goofing around in your living room. Now the next test is important for people who like to night time surveillance or animal stuff.

Again, set the time or start it right away at nighttime sitting on your table, make sure it's running then turn out all the lights and jump around or walk slowly again 20 feet out. But THIS time pull out your smart phone, or digital camera and in video record mode face your camera at your table in the dark. You should see at least ONE led lit up looking right at your phone or camera lcd, if not then your trail camera has the newer dark leds. I think the HC500 may have those too. Now walk around facing your trail cam and pointing your camera at the camera on the table. Now your media should show you moving around waving your phone at nothing in particular like you're trying to record ghosts. Your phone camera is also great at checking if your tv remote or any IR remote is working by aiming the remote at your camera and you should see a little purple kind of light coming from the remote. That means it's still working. <---free tip, lol.

I'm ordering a HC500 tonight and will report back to this thread when I test it out. I will try 64gig cards at least, or even a 128gig. I will also test the file system format on the new camera.
The larger the card size the possibility of file reading slowdowns, which is typical of any device that uses media cards. I will also try and research which dc power supply can run this camera in lieu of batteries. This would be handy for when I set up my cam in the basement to see which critters are getting in and knocking over my beer bottles and eating my snacks left over from my dart games.

Hope this helps you and other trail cammers. More later.
Stay safe.

Last edited:
Back