Trains - any advice?

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
We've got the Flying Scotsman running on the West Somerset Railway in September. My partner and I had our tickets booked as soon as they went on sale but I also want some trackside shots. I don't work so I have the whole week she's here to try to get it right. Trouble is, I'm hopeless at photographing trains, whether moving or stationary. Now I know that soon I'm going to have to start researching locations, looking at the map, travelling on the railway and picking places where I can get near the track where it's fairly open, but any tips for getting decent shots? My usual genres are wildlife and landscape. I shoot with a Canon 550D and have the following lenses - Canon 18-135mm, Tamron 17-55mm, Sigma 150-600mmC. I'm guessing the Sigma isn't going to be very useful....! I also have a decent tripod and 3 way head but I've never tried to shoot a moving target off it. I will be out there soon practicing on the 'normal' WSR trains, but I also have to bear in mind that that the normal service stops at every station along the line, but FS will be non stop, so may be travelling faster and may not be making smoke in the same places. Any hints and tips really would be appreciated.

With steam trains, the stock favourite has been to get the engine working hard on an incline, like this much smaller train in Austria...

15110312198_00e1aea78e_b.jpg

Another option is to get someone working on the engine, which can give a good impression of size...

16390799858_88546a49d0_b.jpg

When you're on board, look for people doing things that express the excitement of the trip...

15288215973_1ae0f5acc1_b.jpg

When the train stops, try to get a feeling of the train in its environment...

22593476052_9656735aa8_b.jpg

and perhaps the relationship of the passengers to the train...

17143281239_c74d001a1d_b.jpg

Pictures of the staff with the engine are always a good idea...

14205531152_807990ed9f_b.jpg

Above all, though, ENJOY YOURSELVES!! :D

Could search trains on Flickr/google pictures for some ideas.

Last edited:
I would suggest you try to find out which way the engine is running on the track. I do not think the W.S.R has turntables at each end so the engine will be running tender first one way along the line. If you can find an location towards the top of an incline or leaving a station the engine will be creating more smoke making pictures look more dramatic.

Minehead bound is engine first. It's a non stop trip, so I know it'll be making smoke coming away from Bishops Lydeard (where AFAIK there are limited photographic oppertunities :() but it's not a hilly line. It's a good thing I'll have 3 months to research this........... Oh for a big hill and wide open stations like SA's shots :)

Back