Transfer GPS data between images

Edit My Images
No
I've just come back from a long trip with my 5D3, 70D and 60D. I had a Canon GP-E2 on the 5D3 and the 70D, but not the 60D as it doesn't support the unit.

Can anyone explain how I can transfer the GPS data from the 5066(!) images with GPS data to the 1901(!) without?

Am I missing something here? How are you going to know what GPS data to transfer to any particular one of 1901 images ?

By comparing the times the images were taken. The cameras were all in the same locations at the same time.

Ok. It seemed that you were wanting an automatic process !

I've not got a photo with GPS data in it, but PhotoMe ( http://www.photome.de/ ) seems to let you edit / update almost every other EXif entry.

It's going to be a slow process though.

Good luck.

edit: Looks like the latest version doesn't allow editing. Select one of the older versions from the DOWNLOADS page.

Last edited:
Ok. It seemed that you were wanting an automatic process !
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I've found ExifTool and that looks as though it might be useful but I can't see how to persuade it to do what I want.

If you have a mac you can do this really easily in Aperture.

Lift the data from one image and paste to many... takes seconds to do

Thanks for the suggestions: appreciated!

I'll work my way through them and see what I can do. LR5 will be first as I have that but failed miserably to spot it as a possibility!

This can be done with two ExifTool commands:

1) First create a GPX track log from existing photos which have GPS information:

exiftool -p gpx.fmt -d %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ -fileorder datetimeoriginal -if "$gpslatitude" DIR > out.gpx

DIR is the name of the directory containing all of the images. The "gpx.fmt" file must be in the current directory when this command is run (it may be found in the fmt_files directory of the full ExifTool distribution). Add a -r option to also process sub-directories. The double quotes above are for Windows, but use single quotes instead if you are on Mac or Linux.

2) Use this GPX track to geotag any images without GPS information:

exiftool -geotag out.gpx -if "not $gpslatitude" DIR

All done. See http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/geotag.html#GPX for more information.

- Phil

Last edited:
Digikam (free) has an easy, interactive and automatic way to do if from the GPX track file. See Here.
Basically select the pictures to edit, select the GPX file, preview the results. Then press Go. No command line hocus pocus.

Last edited:
Back