transfer to USB 2.0 XHD

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
3238368635_05689fba8f.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of data to transfer and it is going very slowly. Now I though that USB1.0 was supposed to be 12MB/sec max and USB2.0 up to 480MB/sec. I don't expect that sort of speed (since it's going through a hub), but I'd like to think that the money I've spent making sure I got USB2.0 equipment wasn't wasted.

How can I speed this up?

USB can be slow. Probably the Hub isn't helping. try direct connection bypassing the hub.

To be honest that's one of the reason I opted for an eSATA external drive, and card in my older Dell. Transfer is much quicker when you have lots of data. Use it as as well on my MacBook, when I have loads of Data to handle.

Best suggestion ( you've probably thought of this anyway ) Run it overnight

Just for my own interest I did some speed tests this morning and I must say I found the reults interesting.

I have a LaCie Quadra drive, which has eSATA, USB, Firewire400 and 800 ports.

I transfered the same set of files from my compuer to the hard drive using each port. The files made up a package of 4.05Mb so it didn't take long to do the tests

Here are the results

eSATA 2' 45"
FW 800 2' 45"
FW 400 3' 40"
USB 2' 26"
USB via Hub 5. 04"

I must say the USB direct figure was impressive. I fact I checked it using a standard USB drive without any additional conections and the speed was the same. I would have thought eSATA would have been faster but no. It may be down to the fact the adapter is on a express card 34 slot and is not running on the main bus.

So it seems for ultimate speed USB without a hub

Interesting, and i would have them connected that way if i had enough ports (laptop). Oh well, overnight backups it is then

nice test
USB hubs are a bit weird and have to split the bandwidth...not the way forward for high data transfer...
you can get 'quadra' ports which balance the load towards the port that needs it the most. direct link is the best of course as has been stated, but also make sure that the USB cable that you have is cable of full USB 2.0. Some aren't it seems. Even so I'm impressed with the direct USB speeds!

I'd echo the comments made about avoiding using a hub. As I write this I'm backing up our new Linux server to a 1TB external drive. When I tried it through a hub, it looked like it would take a month of sundays to complete. Stopping the backup (I'm using rsync BTW) and plugging directly into a USB port made a big difference.

One other thing that will affect transfer times is the number and size of files. A file of 1GB will transfer faster than say 100 10Mb files as the operating system has a lot more work to do what with opening and closing files and all that gubbins.

Cheers

Mark

Back