Trash the Dress- posing and advice

Name
Grace
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I had my own trash the dress done after my wedding (where you take your wedding dress to somewhere different and have photos taken in your dress in an unusual way). My friend saw my photos and asked me if I wanted to have a play and do some for her. She knows I'm just a hobby photographer, so obviously I'm not getting paid, but we're going to have some fun coming up with some interesting shots! She told her wedding photographer what we'd planned and she's offered to come along for free to shoot with me and use the photos for her website (which is great as it takes the pressure off of me and hopefully I can learn from watching her work!)

My ideas so far are:
warehouse setting- graffiti background and close up on face/detail on dress.
Forest- laying on grass/leaves, hiding behind trees
Park- playing on swings and roundabouts

I had lots of shoe changes and various 'props' in my shoot and she's really keen to do this too. So far I've thought of: balloons, old books, newspaper, parasol and lots of shoe changes!

Does anyone have any advice for these types of shots? As the prof photographer will be the one with all the lenses, I'm really looking for ideas with posing and good examples of TTD as there is a lot out there and it would be great to hear from people who have shot in this way before.

Thanks!

i've seen a couple of these kinds of shoots before and really like the idea. i think it's better to have some fun pictures to hang on the wall and enjoy rather than hang the dress in a cupboard to be forgotten about. i had a quick look on flickr and found heaps of 'trass the dress' groups which would provide no end of ideas and inspiration.

personally i would lean towards some sort of urban setting with gritty black and whites, making use of brickwork/underpasses/rooftops etc. on the other extreme could be the forest/woodland setting with mottled sunlight providing the light, lots of flowers will be springing up around now-i'm seeing daffodils everywhere i look

Hi. I've done some of this, learned with a model which definitely helps. Decide in advance what they will and won't do. I'd imagine that somewhere with bluebells might be romantic. Did one with balloons at Dungeness, use scarves blowing in the wind etc. In the US they dunk their 'brides' in water, but I reckon its too blinking cold in the UK to consider doing this unless its the height of summer. Did one shoot on a beach, stuff like that. I think that if you're going to use grafitti-scribbled walls, look for good light, otherwise you're going to need extra lights. Old warehouses seem to provide good locations, but how on earth you find one and get permission is beyond me.

Last edited:
Me and the wife are doing hers later this year, we got married 1 1/2 years ago and she was waiting till my photography got better and we are going to use the sea and the rocks to do the pics and really trash the dress.

She wants to be rolling in the surf and have it ripped on the rocks, I think its going to be alot of fun.

Spike

I really like the idea of a beach, waves and rocks. Although it might be a little chilly at this time of year. :LOL::LOL:

We did one a few years back as a meet from another forum - in a lake!! Poor girl was frozen. In fact it was another member from here's wife!

Thanks for all the comments!

I still have my wedding dress if people are up for a second TTD?

There are abandoned warehouses with graffiti on their exterior walls alongside the river in Wivenhoe- I'm planning on using these. I'll post photos up afterwards!

Never heard of this before, but suggested it to SWMBO, didn't go down well, maybe after 33 years she won't fit in it too well,:LOL: but my daughter thinks this a great idea and now is looking for a venue, she organises weddings for a living and reckons it'd make an interesting picture to add to the brochure.

Beach is perfect for this sort of thing, Ive done a couple, but here in Australia the weather is warm, not sure how warm it is where you are.

She can lay down in the surf etc, walk along the water edge, all that good stuff.

Back