Travel camera....

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Looking for advice, as don't want to carry my beloved D7200 to America, but don't want to feel too disappointed with the results on my return.

I have a camera phone LG G6 which is great for photo's in good conditions, but I am looking for a small compact to carry with me. Previously I have had a Pansonic TZ40 which I loved to bits and then a Mirrorless Canon M10 that didn't impress.

I have £200-300 to spend. Ideally looking for a camera with 10x zoom and video

Looking for suggestions

Many thanks

Barry

Bad bloody back. Carrying it for 2 weeks would be too much, plus we will be visiting theme parks...

Depends how big you want and what you want it for. The wife recently picked up a Canon SX60 HS for our holiday, for I bridge camera Ive been quite impressed. If you are happy to forego the zoom, I also got an Olympus Tough TG5, which was great for going around water parks and swimming pools etc

Hi,

Looking for advice, as don't want to carry my beloved D7200 to America, but don't want to feel too disappointed with the results on my return.

I have a camera phone LG G6 which is great for photo's in good conditions, but I am looking for a small compact to carry with me. Previously I have had a Pansonic TZ40 which I loved to bits and then a Mirrorless Canon M10 that didn't impress.

I have £200-300 to spend. Ideally looking for a camera with 10x zoom and video

Looking for suggestions

Many thanks

Barry

You won't be dissapointed with the canon sx60hs... search 'the most versatile camera in the world' on youtube. Crazy kit!

For reasons of versatility and packability whilst on my bike or otherwise travelling where a DSLR kit would not be practical, I recently bought a Lumix FZ200. Like the SX60 mentioned above, it is a versatile camera and in budget but with f2.8 through the entire zoom range (though doesn't go as long as the SX60 lens). Similar sensor and zoom to the FZ200 but more pocketable, I saw the TZ90. I did notice the drop in image quality from my APS-C 50D to the FZ200's 1/2.3 'compact camera' sensor but it is better than a phone and on par with most compacts, I dare say. With that in mind (and that you don't have a requirement for a super-zoom), I'd be looking (like others have said) at the 1" compact cameras. In budget was the Sony RX100 but only has a x3.6 optical zoom. If you don't go 2nd hand, then I suspect it will be a choice of small sensor with more zoom than your ideal, or a 1" sensor with less zoom than your ideal.

If you want a travel camera of a size you can take it anywhere because it slips easily into a pocket: I'd say go with a Linux TZ100 or TZ80.

I was on holiday with a friend who had a Canon Powershot SX60 and he didn't take half as many shots as I because his camera was too large to fit into a pocket and so he didn't have it with him as often as I had mine (Sony HX60V). As an alternative, I've been very happy with this little Sony and I have a TZ40 too, I prefer the Sony of the two. It might be worth looking at the Sony HX90V.

I also like the look of the Nikon 1 S1 interchangeable lens camera but the look is as far as I would want to go. It has come down in price recently though, I think due to being discontinued but I may be wrong about that.

Sony RX100 mk1 would be my recommendation (or a mk2 / 3 which you might be able to get for your budget). I took my mk1 travelling and it was excellent! I did wish I brought my 6d though!). I got it new for £270, and carried it in my front pocket the whole time.

A few snaps from it during my travels with it;

Parrot, Hong Kong Park by Jim, on Flickr

Kota Kinabalu, Sabbah, Borneo by Jim, on Flickr

Hong Kong by Jim, on Flickr

Milford Sound, New Zealand. by Jim, on Flickr

Hong Kong from the Peak on a hazy day. by Jim, on Flickr

Back