Travel Kit

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I am terrible now and only use my camera when i go on holiday :shake: So i am thinking of changing my setup (to be honest, i have been thinking of this for years, and i keep putting off actually doing it!).

This is what i have so far:
- Canon 300D + grip
- 17-40L
- 70-300 Sigma (i hate this lens and never use it)
- kit lens
- 580ex

What i want is:
A basic setup that allows me to get as high quality photos as i can, of primarily landscapes and city shots, no sport as stadiums never allow you to use proper cameras. I treat my kit as a tool so it needs to be able to withstand knocks and weather!

My current thought is to sell the 300d kit (should give me £125 or so?), maybe also my much hated Sigma(!), and get a 40d. Does this sound like a good move?

Budget wise i would like to spend less than £400 (selling kit would give me any extra needed). Going 2nd hand is not an issue.

Yeah keep the 17-40L and try and stretch to a 5D. Otherwise a 40D should be a substantial upgrade from your 350.

Yeah keep the 17-40L and try and stretch to a 5D. Otherwise a 40D should be a substantial upgrade from your 350.

300d ;)

5d would be ideal, but it's about £850 2nd hand! so realistically isn't going to happen.

If you really only use your camera on holiday get yourself a Sigma 18-200 and the best body you can find to fit it.

I think your current set up is ideal for travel.I had some brilliant pics out of my old 300D.If you really want to change your camera you should be able to get a gripped 450D inside budget.I would also keep the Sigma----even if you dont use it much its there and will get the shot when you need reach.My much loved travel kit has just been permanently borrowed by my daughter-------400D gripped with Sigma 17-70 fitted,70-300mm tele,430EX speedlite.It all fitted into a small Lowepro Nova 2.Really light and easy to carry.
I took the 40D and its kit in a CrumplerXXXL to Turkey last year and it was just too big and heavy for comfort on holiday and so I found myself using the compact a lot of the time.
The 70-300 is certainly the least used bit of the kit but it always seems to be useful at some stage during a trip.The 400D series cameras are such a nice weight and balance for travel---particularly if fitted with a grip and the Speedlite is essential at night.
Depending on condition---you should be able to get a lot more than £125 for the 300D outfit.
Good luck.

450d is way too small for me and doesn't 'fit' my hands. It is after all a girls camera :LOL:

My 300d doesn't give me the quality i am looking for, and is terrible in low light.

I am thinking of reducing my kit to:
- 40D+grip
- 17-40L
- 580ex

Not sure yet though... i would like to make the upgrade as cheap as possible as i don't use the kit that much. But when i use it i need the very best quality i can get.

If you really only use your camera on holiday get yourself a Sigma 18-200 and the best body you can find to fit it.

Ive got a 50d and the the Sigma 18-200 OS and get on really well with the lens. Ive got the 70-300 APO as well and think its ok but needs a tripod to get the best from it.

I am not using a Sigma 18-200 when i have a 17-40L thanks :)

I take a 40D with a 17-40L lens and a 70-200mm. Spare battery & polarizer filter. All these tucked away nicely in a Crumpler XL. Wouldn't bother with the battery grip personally as it would only add unnecessary weight and size to your kit.

How about, sell the lot except the speedlight, and get a 2nd hand 40D, a EF-S 17-55 (excellent image quality and f2.8) and a 70-200 f4. Not sure if I've gone over your budget there...maybe just a wee bit, but that would be a cracking setup...

i don't mean to single you out out but, personally, i think this is a really bad idea.

my favorite pictures are taken with my favorite lenses. for me that's a nikkor 180mm f2.8 and a 50mm f1.8. these both go with me everywhere i travel. i understand it's a less practical set-up but if i enjoy using a lens chances are i'll get a nicer pic.

do-it-all lenses make my camera into a point and shoot snapper in my eyes.

just my 2p :)

i don't mean to single you out out but, personally, i think this is a really bad idea.

my favorite pictures are taken with my favorite lenses. for me that's a nikkor 180mm f2.8 and a 50mm f1.8. these both go with me everywhere i travel. i understand it's a less practical set-up but if i enjoy using a lens chances are i'll get a nicer pic.

do-it-all lenses make my camera into a point and shoot snapper in my eyes.

just my 2p :)

The OP just uses his camera when he goes on holiday. Now if he goes to the Maldives with a load of super models, or the Masai Mara, etc, etc, then yes, he needs a decent set up, but if he only takes shots once, twice maybe three times a year, do any of us need anything more?

As for being turned into a point and shoot snapper, that says more to me about the photographer than the kit.

As for being turned into a point and shoot snapper, that says more to me about the photographer than the kit.

little harsh?

i wasn't trying to criticise anyone, just thinking that a chap who bought a 17-40L probably likes it for the contrast and sharpness it gives and may miss that in his pics when he uses inferior glass. i just find the pics you take with a lens you like are better than with one that you don't but does the job, irrespective of obvious focal length limitations.

i use my 18-70 if i need and it's ok but, it happens that i prefer the pics i get from my primes. now i'm not saying use primes, just that whatever lens you take, if you like it, you'll take pics that suit it. i'd be happy with the 17-40L and a polariser alone on most trips.

the 40d sounds like a sensible idea. i'd agree that, whilst nice, a battery grip may be a little large for traveling. try it and see if you need it.

Just to make things clear... I am upgrading as i want to improve the quality of the images i take. So going from my 17-40L to a Sigma 18-200 is not even a suggestion i will be taking seriously.

Yes i may only take photos whilst i am travelling. But that means i need to get the best photos i can possibly get, and need kit that can stand up to abuse. So i am thinking 40d+grip + 17-40L is about right :)

My current 300d+grip + 17-40L has been to loads of places and been great, but the quality of output is limiting me somewhat, hence the change.

Matt,

Im in a similar boat, Im looking for a concise kit for travelling

On a recent trip to goa i found the reach of the 70-300 invaluable. Got some amazing candid shots of people and wildlife, however, the image quality could be improved upon even though mine seems to be a super sharp copy.

The 40d is a definate, although I wouldnt bother with the battery grip, just a couple of spare batterins in the pocket.

it also depends on space and weight. The 24-70 f2.8 attached to a 40D is a tonne!! great for swatting pickpockets but hanging round your neck for day its not so good.

I guess I narrowed my selection down to
40D - no grip
Sigma 10-20 for the wide shots - cracking lens and can be had for a good price second hand
Canon 24-70 l F4 - the sigma covers the wide and this pretty much covers the rest. Great reach and sharp as a tack image quality
Canon 50m 1.8. Again great image quality and light too
The canon 70-300IS or the 55-250 IS both seem quite good, light and have that bit of extra reach for wildlife.
The kenko 1.4 TC can also add that extra reach, coupled with the 24-105 or the 55-250 should cover most bases, plus like the 50mm its small, light and doesnt detract from the IQ too much.

May have added more confusion to your choice, but hop it helps anyway

I have been a photographer for over fifty years and like my present travel kit better than any I have seen or used.

I have a large assortment of very good lenses. However, I have narrowed down my traveling kit to the following:

30D and 40D cameras: I hate changing lenses - but for a photographer less adverse to lens swapping the 40D would be a great single camera...

17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses: These two lenses give me the focal range that I need and have outstanding IQ, great auto-focus, wide aperture in my mid range zoom and IS throughout the range. The 17mm is wide enough for the vast majority of my uses and the IS helps me out in lower light levels. This combination is expensive and a less expensive alternate lens duo might be the 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron and 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lenses. On a shoestring budget the 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS lens could be used however they are slower in both aperture and auto focus and, IMO, are not as versatile as the two previously mentioned setups.

1.4X TC: I may seldom use it but, it is light in weight and occasionally will give me the extra reach I need.

420EX flash: I use fill flash for much of my work and carry the 420EX because 1. I own one and 2. It is fairly lightweight,

67 and 77mm CPL filters: Since I shoot with 2 cameras, I need a CPL on both lenses.

77mm ND filter: To slow down my shutter speed to get flowing effect in water.

Small Tamrac Bag: For one camera, 17-55mm lens, 77mm filters, extra batteries, extra CF cards and 420EX. This camera will be equipped with an OPTECH neck strap.

Tamrac Zoom 19 bag: For second camera with 70-200mm lens. This camera is equipped with a hand strap and I use a round screw-in lens hood. I keep an extra battery, 67mm CPL, and some CF cards in this bag also.

The advantage of the two bags is that they are stand-alone equipment holders. Grabbing either bag will give my the equipment I need for shooting.

I will carry the camera with my 17-55mm lens around my neck and the camera with the 70-200mm at my left hip in the holster case. I usually carry the gear from my small Tamrac bag in my vest when I am actually shooting and carry this small bag in the back compartment of my photo vest.

Lens brush and cleaning cloth.

Extra batteries and CF cards.

OPTECH Hood Hats in lieu of lens hoods.

Tripod: I have modified a SLIK Pro 330DX tripod for travel and boonie tromping. I replaced the heavier stock center column with a shorter and lighter accessory column. I replaced the stock SLIK pan/tilt head with a super lightweight (yet stable) Adorama (of New York City) Flashpoint Magnesium f1 ball head. Combination easily supports a camera with the 70-200mm lens yet weighs only .77 kilos which is super light weight.

I use a Really Right Stuff L bracket on the camera with the 17-55mm lens and the stock F-1 bracket for the 70-200mm camera/lens.

Cable release for slow shutter speed tripod shots.

Two OPTECH Rainsleeves: These are extremely light in weight but will protect camera and lenses from rain and dust.

I used to carry a notebook and pen for recording pertinent information regarding my images but, I now carry a small MP-3 player that has audio recording capability. It is very light weight but, also provides entertainment during long drives or flights.

I like a photo vest because it gives me a little bit of protection from the weather yet is not overly hot. It is very light weight and provides a lot of storage for various maps, guides or brochures. My wife has sewn a Velcro tab at my left shoulder which prevents the holster strap from sliding off.

I have not weighed my total outfit but it is relatively light in weight and could be reduced in weight by using only a single camera.

I have to agree with rpcrowe there, I travel quite a lot with my work, I have a 40D, 10-20 Siggy, 17-85 IS (would love the 17-55 though), a siggy EF-500 on the way and am now in the process of saving for a 70-200. Doesn't slow me down too much and great versatility.

450d is way too small for me and doesn't 'fit' my hands. It is after all a girls camera :LOL:

You will upset a lot of 450D users----gripped it is a terrific camera and certainly for me better for travel than my 40D as the weight and size are less.
I doubt you will notice any IQ diferences between the two cameras.

My 300d doesn't give me the quality i am looking for, and is terrible in low light.

You are absolutely right--having to crank up the ISO produces noise--but only when pixel peeping and printing large.I had a 380EX attached to mine and it worked well for dim interiors and night shots.

I am thinking of reducing my kit to:
- 40D+grip
- 17-40L
- 580ex

Thats a cracking set up.Quality all the way,particularly if you dont need or want anything longer than 40mm.It will certainly handle 85% of your travel needs.Although it might be my least used travel lens I would always take something that got me out to 300mm--that remaining 15% of use has produced some of my most memorable pics.I would just rather have it than not.
I love my 40D its just not my travel camera of choice----If Currys hadnt sold out of the twin lens Oly 410 kit I would have sprung for it--£289 a steal.
Pete.

Back