Travel / portable light stands?

wez130

Steak,wedges and a pint
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the market for some portable / lightweight light stands for my Godox AD200's, I was pretty sold on the Ulanzi MT-49 but they don't look sturdy enough for the AD200 with a softbox on, especially if i'm shooting outdoors with a little wind. Does anyone have these that can confirm? Otherwise, could anyone offer any better solution that is still lightweight and portable?

Thanks

TBH ‘lightweight’ lightstands are exactly that.

The last thing you want outdoors is a lightweight stand, they're only any good for indoor use IME and even then you need to add a sandbag to make them safe/stable.

Use a quality stand - they're really not that much heavier. You'll need to use sandbags or a tie-down if you're using a softbox outdoors anyway as the slightest puff of wind will topple it.

Take a look at the Lencarta range (I prefer the heavy duty one):

Ideally an assistant to hold it. Multiple lights = multiple assistants! Next best is to fix the stand in place with ropes or zip ties to something permanent. Both have obvious drawbacks; notably either expensive or not very mobile once setup. I'm not sure I even trust a sand bag with the cost of failure set quite high or worst case a lawsuit. I wonder if we will get a different and easier solution.

Reactions: Sky
Use a quality stand - they're really not that much heavier. You'll need to use sandbags or a tie-down if you're using a softbox outdoors anyway as the slightest puff of wind will topple it.
I fear that you really want to use something along the lines used in bigger video productions, such as a C-stand with adjustable leg as a minimum, or better still a riser combo stand. They start at around 10kg! You better hope it is not far from you car!

Now of course a different approach is to treat AD200 as disposable consumable, if your prices are presumably high enough. This is what some NZ based wedding photographer was saying in some older Godox video. He goes through a ton of them.

I'm not sure I even trust a sand bag with the cost of failure set quite high or worst case a lawsuit. I wonder if we will get a different and easier solution.

If the ground is soft, a tie-down is best for sure. The screw-in type with a webbing strap would be my ideal choice:

Reactions: Nod
Thanks for the input, Yeah, i figured the lightweight would only be useful in indoor situations without softboxes etc but they do look damn sexy haha. I guess i'll look at somethnig else, i need to take space into consideration too as the room i use for indoor photography is pretty small.

I use a pair of Manfrotto Autopoles - they work well in tight spaces (no good outdoors though).

I picked mine up on the Evil Bay a few years ago, but the best price to buy them new is from Thomann in Germany. I've bought a lot of gear from them in the past, their service is great and they even pay the Customs duties.

Thanks for the input, Yeah, i figured the lightweight would only be useful in indoor situations without softboxes etc but they do look damn sexy haha. I guess i'll look at somethnig else, i need to take space into consideration too as the room i use for indoor photography is pretty small.
Form experience their limit is a single ad200 + 105cm umbrella which is obviously quite light. I use these for real estate mainly because they are very easy to move around the house without getting caught in door frames. Anything larger and I grab heavier duty stand. I would never consider using it outside

I decided against travel stands and got a decent price on a pair of Kupo CL20MK stands after being really impressed in the quality of them!

53667613063_1866af029c_b_d.jpg

Back