Travel telescopic pole

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for one for my GoPro but want one to work with digital cameras too, so will need the tripod connection

Anyone recommend a portable and strong one?

Budget of £40

Don't really mind how far it extends, don't need it to extend to a stupid amount just a about 3 feet or so

you could do what i have done and brought the pole mount
gives you more options than the tripod mount
i have mine on my monopod at the bottom so can still use the head for my camera

you could do what i have done and brought the pole mount
gives you more options than the tripod mount
i have mine on my monopod at the bottom so can still use the head for my camera

But I'd also want to use it with my slr whilst travelling and would then also need a monopod etc...

get the handle bar mount - this bit fits round the base (foot end)
then you have the head end free for use for the SLR mount
:)

one monopod 2 uses

get the handle bar mount - this bit fits round the base (foot end)
then you have the head end free for use for the SLR mount

one monopod 2 uses

sorry, I searched but can't see how the handle bar mount will help?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Mo...989055&sr=1-3&keywords=telescopic+camera+pole

that would have been perfect but effectively upside down - which is why I can't use a monopod really :(

Need a handgrip and strap because I go on a lot of speedboats abroad and need the pole to be secure.

Someone must be able to recommend one thats DSLR safe too? Struggling to find one with good reviews...

You still hold the hand grip part and have the strap round your wrist
But the handle bar mount the other end
And if it's upside down change the gopro setting to flip the orientation
Does that make sense
Will take a picture later of my setup if not

You still hold the hand grip part and have the strap round your wrist
But the handle bar mount the other end
And if it's upside down change the gopro setting to flip the orientation
Does that make sense
Will take a picture later of my setup if not

Please - I can see its impossible for me to use the monopod alone and I think i'm starting to understand wht you're doing with the mount

problem is, I want is for DSLRs too! So wouldn't work with them :)

That's quite big and doesn't retract/extend =(
The Brasher pole extends from 24" to 54" When I am not using it as a walking stick or camera pole, I tuck the ball top in my belt and carry it like a "Short Sword" on Holiday it is with me all the time in one role or the other.

I have this (although in your link it is hugely overpriced, I think I paid about £9 on eBay. Mainly used it underwater with the GoPro.

I did hang it over the edge of a few cliffs but only when I had a couple of lanyards connecting it to me should it fall off of the pole. I would NOT trust this (even with something as light as a gopro) anyhere windy at full extension / over the edge of long drops.

Forget about using anything bigger than a compact camera on it, the plastic pivoting head is simply not strong enough for anything larger.

For a DSLR in such situations I would use my monopod.

You can't really have a compact pole like this and expect to use anything heavier than a couple of hundred grams on it.

I have this (although in your link it is hugely overpriced, I think I paid about £9 on eBay. Mainly used it underwater with the GoPro.

I did hang it over the edge of a few cliffs but only when I had a couple of lanyards connecting it to me should it fall off of the pole. I would NOT trust this (even with something as light as a gopro) anyhere windy at full extension / over the edge of long drops.

Forget about using anything bigger than a compact camera on it, the plastic pivoting head is simply not strong enough for anything larger.

For a DSLR in such situations I would use my monopod.

You can't really have a compact pole like this and expect to use anything heavier than a couple of hundred grams on it.

thanks, any links to the one you bought and would you recommend it?

I'm worried about using it during any type of water sports or hanging it out a moving car :confused:

thanks, any links to the one you bought and would you recommend it?

I'm worried about using it during any type of water sports or hanging it out a moving car :confused:

I'd recommend it for general gopro use, but just wouldn't use it hanging outside of a moving vehicle, or somewhere where if it fell the camera would be irretrievable (i.e cliff edges, para-sailing* etc).

I have this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monopod-S...99?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item51b596f43f

although these two look the same albeit they are different colours:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-...69?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item5af9856ff1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Teles...34?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item43c36de64e

Put it this way, I don't regret buying it. It was fairly cheap and has come in handy. Just don't expect it to be indestructible and you'll be fine ;) but then again I'd never mount a GoPro onto the outside of my car regardless of the mounting either, I'm quite cautious that way.

It helped me in getting shots like this:

9556138777_5b6ea52bd8_b.jpg

Last edited:
*such as here

BPx4CqmCIAE_Aft.jpg:large

I was clinging onto the camera for dear life! :LOL:

I would not take any risks with a pole as one slip/break from a bit of turbulence and it's bye bye GoPro. (Yes this is a shameless picture post)

Last edited:
Quite an expensive option, and to quote the description: "The Quik Pod DSLR is recommended for dry land use only."

The top part of the 2 way head does look rather weak, same as the models that are a third of the price.
you said you could'nt find them in the uk i find one for you and you complain :( expensive its in $ doh

Last edited:
you said you could'nt find them in the uk i find one for you and you complain :( expensive its in $ doh

I think we have our wires crossed! :LOL:

The three links I posted are for the UK, I'm not the one looking for the poles! ;) I was just commenting on the price of your link!

It was the OP that couldn't find a UK link so I posted mine up a couple of minutes before you :)

Last edited:
I use a GoPole, used it underwater for my GoPro, it has the standard gopro mount so won't be able to fit a dslr to it, not sure I would want a dslr on a pole myself.

I used it for a bit of selfie video work whilst diving and thought it was good!

Thanks for all the replies people - 2 amazing shots in this thread too!!

How was the underwater one taken? Burst/luck/video and then freezeframe?

I think I'm going to go for a big ushot and then a cheap ebay one for selfies

will let you all know on the quality once its open on my bday (10th april) ... not going to get one for the slr now ive decided as I don't think I'd use it for my SLR much...

Feel free to post other recommendations or pole pics :)

Also, that quik pod one isn't the "ultra" and therefore not waterproof - thanks anyway :)

I'd recommend it for general gopro use, but just wouldn't use it hanging outside of a moving vehicle, or somewhere where if it fell the camera would be irretrievable (i.e cliff edges, para-sailing* etc).

I have this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monopod-S...99?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item51b596f43f

although these two look the same albeit they are different colours:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-...69?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item5af9856ff1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Teles...34?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item43c36de64e

Put it this way, I don't regret buying it. It was fairly cheap and has come in handy. Just don't expect it to be indestructible and you'll be fine ;) but then again I'd never mount a GoPro onto the outside of my car regardless of the mounting either, I'm quite cautious that way.

It helped me in getting shots like this:

9556138777_5b6ea52bd8_b.jpg
*such as here

BPx4CqmCIAE_Aft.jpg:large

I was clinging onto the camera for dear life! :LOL:

I would not take any risks with a pole as one slip/break from a bit of turbulence and it's bye bye GoPro. (Yes this is a shameless picture post)

These posts aren't showing on mobile version of the site for me :s images too large? Or too many links?

I think we have our wires crossed! :LOL:

The three links I posted are for the UK, I'm not the one looking for the poles! ;) I was just commenting on the price of your link!

It was the OP that couldn't find a UK link so I posted mine up a couple of minutes before you :)
my apologies i got my op"s mixed up and saw that you had also found the same one as me ooops :hug:

Back