Travel tripod first impression - vanguard veo 235ab

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I got this when a friend came over with some wine, oops. It was in pretty mint nick, with the video head and bag.

So what is it?

It's an aluminium tripod with a flippy centre column, so you invert it with the head on to make it smaller. The arm on the head has a thread so it can fold flat.

First impressions are that the leg locks work fine, it's small enough to fit in the side pocket of my manfrotto backpack (which is very important!) and the arca Swiss quick release plate works fine. The head can rotate or tilt, and both are very smooth in use and lock in nicely.

I took it out today to do some low level macro with a 6D and a Tamron macro lens. It did great! I'm genuinely chuffed with this tripod - you can screw the soft feet up to reveal spikes which was really useful in the soft ground and the inverted centre column is pretty stable when tightened down, although in a breeze I'd splay the legs and use the short column (which is included!). I'll likely use this from now on anyway.

A few quick lightroom mobile edits of some straight shots. Tomorrow I'll get my macro stacks done to see how stable the tripod really is :) but honestly, first impressions are good. Time will tell if it'll last! In time it will be good enough to support a 100-400mm but my guess is probably not!

IMG_20191110_203559_458.jpgIMG_20191110_205044_650.jpgIMG_20191110_203750_299.jpg

Back