Travel Tripod

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a monopod last year for, mainly holiday, travel. But I've never really used it. I've decided I hate the monopod :(

So I'm going to get a decent tripod and my main consideration is weight. Can you suggest both a tripod and a head combo? Not a ball head please.

Thanks

John

I'm amazed you don't want a ball head. By far the most compact type for travel, and usually lighter?

yes, but. I'm after a general purpose combo and I didn't really get on well with the only ball-head jobbie I've used in the past.

But I could be persuaded.

yes, but. I'm after a general purpose combo and I didn't really get on well with the only ball-head jobbie I've used in the past.

But I could be persuaded.

I think you should - honest - no handles and levers to get in the way. The thing with a ball head is the more you pay the easier it is to use generally - No change there then! :D

As for portability in a tripod, I have a Gitzo CF 2228 from their Explorer range and I love it. I'll find a linky.

You may be looking for something ultra compact though I suspect.

LINKY

http://www.feisol.com/english/CT3441B.htm

You will have difficulty finding a lighter / shorter(folded) than this. Options include spikes and a short centre column. Additional quick release plates are available as well. The B means it comes with the CB30 ballhead. Also comes with a bag.

My tripod is a Feisol 3401 carbon fibre. Still not sure I like the twist grips to lock the leg section extensions as it takes longer than the lever type locks. Certainly rigid enough for me when set up though. Think the manfrotto 488 ball head weighs as much as the legs!

Bought direct from the Feisol site. came in less than a week. Mine is too big to consider it a travel tripod so I'm watching this thread with interest...

I did see the twist locks on the legs and I, too, wish it had levers. I don't particularly like the look of their ball heads either but I could always get a manfrotto head as you have done.

But the weight!!! It's half the weight of some other so-called lightweights.

I've got the 3441B, I got it as it was the lightest / smallest (collapsed) that I could find. It came in 3 days !

The twist locks are the rubber ring type, and probably not as convenient as levers, but levers always stick out and add weight so it's a toss up.

This review (of the 3402) http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=16650287
mentions a technique for opening and closing, I read it before I got mine and it didn't make any sense, but having got my 'pod, it now makes perfect sense.

I already had an old Cullman tripod, but that's so heavy I very rarely use it, whereas this one I can stick in my luggage with no problem, and although it might not be the sturdiest 'pod in the world, its certainly better than not taking one at all.

I know of one guy who fitted the short centre column and removed the ball head to save even more weight, - seemed a bit hair shirt to me.

I'm very pleased with mine taking into account it's a compromise. Ideally you want the heaviest tripod available, but then you need a young Amazon to carry it, I didn't have one of those so I went for a 3441 :LOL:.

Thanks for that reply. Which head are you using with it?

I've only just managed to get an answer from a supplier about stock levels of a couple alternatives - and it doesn't look good.

I'll check the review later when I'm back home.

com i think. Paid in dollars - I remember that much!

I bought and took the Manfrotto MF4 to Cambodia and use it all the time as it is light enough and reasonably compact. As it's light, you do sometimes need to hang your camera bag from it to make it sturdier, but has always served me well. Bought from Morris Photo. It has lever locking legs and is really quick to set up including sensible adjustability on slopes and a spirit level built in.

I use a 322RC2 head with it (grip action ball head) and is pretty heavy, but perfect for my landscape needs.

I ordered the C-3441B blue from .com the taiwan site on late on Monday. It was dispatched late Tuesday for an early morning flight via Bangkok. It arrived at LHR last night at 1910 - and it arrived here at 1220 today. Fantastic!!

Thanks for all the advice.

/goes to play with new toy

Back