Travel tripod

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a travel tripod (my other one is a Red snapper one I purchased back in 2009). Ideally something sub £100 and from Amazon (as I have £100 of vouchers on there).

Appreciate that won't give me the best, or access to some of the kit you folks use, but I don't have £560 for a peak design carbon tripod.

Any thoughts on this one at all:

Or this one from WEX?

Last edited:
48" maximum height?

Thinking about selling my 3 Legged Thing Punks Corey soon.
If that's your sort of thing keep an eye on the clasifieds, it will be sub £100
Punks Corey

I've had similar thoughts and I really cannot get away from the aluminium Peak Design travel tripod as being the best option, for me at least. The form factor means it can just slip in to the side pocket of the camera bag which will make traveling with it much easier.

I just can't bring myself to part with £300 - £500 for something I will use three times a year at most, hence I was looking for something cheaper...
A cheap tripod is just not worth considering, so I'd suggest going for something small; there are short table-top tripods that may suit or perhaps a Gorilla grip type. Then there's something as simple as a bean-bag.

I bought the Rollei version of the National Geographic you allude to. I honestly cannot recommend it. The only way you’ll get some semblance of stability is by extending no more than 2 sections. And not in any wind. It’s just sitting in a corner gathering dust.

Manfrotto Befree on Amazon at £139? I have one and have found it surprisingly solid (and it's easier to carry than my 055XDB!). Twist action legs, mine's the older "Amazon Choice" offering with clip legs.

What do you actually need from the travel tripod?
I personally have a Chinese branded CF tripod as my travel tripod - in the bag it's just under 50cm long, but is a reasonable compromise between size, weight and stability.
(I bought it several years ago, but woudl expect there to be something similar available)
I would avoid 5 section tripods (the smallest diameter legs will probably be fairly wobbly at this price point).

I bought the Rollei version of the National Geographic you allude to. I honestly cannot recommend it. The only way you’ll get some semblance of stability is by extending no more than 2 sections. And not in any wind. It’s just sitting in a corner gathering dust.
I feel the same I have a Rollei version, it's just okay if you don't fully extend it. But I also think it's good value for money if like me you only use it within its ability and once or twice a year.

I'd love a peak design Carbon one, but my head just says no. My heart might win one day though.

I picked up an aluminium Peak Design one for 279.99 GBP and have been impressed. Even with the Pentax 67 ontop fully extended it's sturdy enough.

I have a Benbo and hardly ever use it but I was looking at this smaller one the other week... £72.99...

This is the one I have and paid £79 for it, they're always on and off sale. Actually might sell it.

Rollei Compact Traveler No 1 Carbon I Orange I Light travel tripod I Small pack size photo tripod I Ball head and tripod bag https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AWCQPYK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_VHJB61Z6QAF7Y09M363M

Actually I’ve had another look at the Rollei. Dusted it out from the back of my boxes cupboard, and as long as you treat it as a low-level ‘pod, don‘t extend the centre column, and check the weather, it could be useful for occasional use on smaller systems..

Actually I’ve had another look at the Rollei. Dusted it out from the back of my boxes cupboard, and as long as you treat it as a low-level ‘pod, don‘t extend the centre column, and check the weather, it could be useful for occasional use on smaller systems..
Mines actually the earlier version with the permanently extended center column.

I have a Vanguard VEO 2 CF tripod.
Certainly can't fault it.
When folded, it fits in the tripod compartment of my messenger bag which is also a Vanguard ;)
Could be worth checking their website - great selection of aluminium and CF tripods with prices to suit most budgets

Last edited:
Just needs to hold at most my S5 and possibly a Sigma 105 macro art lens ( that would be the heaviest set up I have). It's really to take away so we (daughter and I) have one to use in Wales / Scotland when we go away. We will be taking the G9s with us more than likely.

I've had similar thoughts and I really cannot get away from the aluminium Peak Design travel tripod as being the best option, for me at least. The form factor means it can just slip in to the side pocket of the camera bag which will make traveling with it much easier.
I have got 2 travel tripods - a 3LT Travis and the Peak Design aluminium tripod. For height and sturdiness, they are very similar, the head on the 3LT is better though. However, the Peak Design is so much more compact when folded, so I will be listing the 3LT in the classifieds when I get a moment.

Tripod mentioned above now listed in the classifieds, might suit your needs.

Tripods aren’t generally camera brand specific. You should be able to put any camera on any tripod.

Think it comes with a specific plate for the Sony Cameras?

They are usually Arca Swiss and get yourself an L Bracket too if you are using a tripod often.

I think I mentioned somewhere else I use a 3LT Travis as lightweight and it's not much different in height to my Redsnapper too.

Just had a look but states it's for Sony Cameras? Mine are Panasonic

That's not going to matter. The only issue I've ever had with a tripod is the size of the screw thread but that's not much of a problem as the adapters are pennies.

Back