Travel Tripods

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm after a tripod that is quite small (to fit in hand luggage) but can extend to a reasonable height but also be able to support a 400D with a 28-135mm lens on it

Ideally, it will be quite cheap

I've seen a few around the internet, but it's hard to get an idea of what they are really like

I'm sure some of you are bound to have the answer :LOL:

Thanks folks

I'm very impressed with the Manfrotto Modo 785. Just bought one of them myself to take away with me in September. Rises to 5 feet and folds down to less that 18 inches and is very lightweight. It also has a built in head. Depends on the weight of your kit though as it has a max load of 1kg. Not bad for £45 though.

Have a look at this thread (if you ahven't already). I had a similar ish requirement.

In the end I went for a Giottos GB1060, which would fit your requirements except the height issue, it is really quite short, may be worth a look anyway as it's only £23 from amazon.

My mini review from the other thread

Right, well the tripod (and a Giottos monopod) arrived about a week or so ago so i'll just do a mini review of it after a couple of days use.

The tripod is pretty light (obviously) and with the legs at their highest setting at the smallest angle they really aren't that steady at all, however if you fully extend the legs and put them at the medium angle the tripod is rock steady, with no movement at all, and easily capable of holding a DSLR and reasonably large lens (in this case the 24-70 @~800g).

My standard setup is with the legs fully extended at the medium angle, with the centre column fully up, this give a stable base (the centre column doesn't appear to move, due to its shortness) with a reasonable height (although a little taller would have been good, you do still have to kneel down to look through the viewfinder).

I was using it with a Manfrotto 484RC2 ball head, which has just enough grip to hold a 300 f/4 and ball head and tripod weighs in at around the 1kg mark. It's not going to replace my 055pro but for those trips where either I have a long walk or I probably won't need a tripod, but "just in case" it will be used (it fits easily into a normal 20L backpack).

After a little bit more use I'll hopefully stick a longer review in, with some pictures, but at the moment anyone looking for a CHEAP, small lightweight tripod this looks like the way to go.

I was thinking of writing a full review today actually so if I do I'll stick that up here. :)

another vote for the Manfrotto Modo 785, I have one, it's stronger than it looks. it holds my D90 & 70-300 and as a travel pod it fits the bill well IMHO

Silk AM340... I have one and think it's good... My fiancee has the manfrotto 785 people above have mentioned and it is a great tripod.

I find morris photography great for tripods!

M

Thanks for the advice, sounds like the manfrotto is the winner!

I tried a Velbon CX Mini at the weekend in Jessops, not a bad little tripod but the reach is no good..for just 10cm more in size the manfrotto goes far higher!

Think I'll give that one a try, cheers :)

I'd check the manfrotto out first though, I tried it out in jessops a few months ago and it really wasn't stable at full height, half height however it was passable (but not much higher than the tripod I eventually got). :)

Here's a second vote for the Giottos GB 1060. It's beautifully made and is ridiculously cheap for such a quality piece of kit. I have the full height version as well which retails at well over 100 quid and the build quality is no better. I'd agree with Amp34's review where he says that for full stability it's better when you spread the legs out a bit, but otherwise it can't be faulted.

Back