Travel tripods

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi people, - my first post. :wave:

I want to tap the combined intellect / experience of the users of this site.

Viewing and trying kit before buying seems to be ever more difficult.

I would like to find the impossible, namely a steady tripod that is small and light. :bang:

I want to be able to take a tripod on flights, I guess the best way (with the current restrictions of weight and number of items) is if I could pack it into a suitcase.

I want to mount my DSLR and use for panoramas and 'straight' and low light photos.

I am currently considering the Giotto GB1140
http://tinyurl.com/22aogj
which seems good value, although I've read its a not very steady.

The other tripod is the Manfrotto 190MF4
http://tinyurl.com/2db3cx
which is a lot more money, and needs a head etc.

I can't really justify spending several hundred pounds for some of the tripods I've seen listed, I already have a tripod but its just too big to take abroad.

If anyone has experience of either of these, or recommendations for a small travel pod, I'd be grateful for a pointer.

Ta,

John

Check out the Benbo Trekker and Mini Trekker tripods. There are about three different versions - one could well be just what you want. They're beautifully made and pretty well bomb proof.

I have a Manfrotto 190MF4 and it is great - although expensive. I've used it to hold a 500 f/4 and EOS1D and it's fine. It fits in an overnight bag fine and although it is not the tallest tripod in the world, it is pretty steady.

This shot was taken at 1000mm and 1/50s on the Manfrotto.

NR7V9686-1.jpg

Paul

I also have the MF4 (with a 322RC2 head) and would recommend it if space is an issue as you have already pointed out. It's also pretty light and when you are already packing a fair amount of camera kit, it does make a difference.

I have used a D200 with a Nikon 80-200 camera mounted without any problems. You can make the tripod more sturdy by clipping your camera bag to it and the legs work at different heights and angles.

I've got Manfrotto Modo and its excellent

Thanks for the info.

I've also been pointed to : www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Four-section tripods
CT-3441

That looks even lighter, although as they are imported direct from Taiwan, I'm not likely to see one prior to buying.

Anyone used a Feisol tripod ?

Cheers

John

I've finally ordered a Feisol CT-3441SB with a CB-30 ball head. I suspect the ball head might be short lived but it will get me going as it's small and light.

This appears, without going to the giddy heights and expense of a Gitzo, about the smallest & lightest tripod to meet my needs - time will tell.

If anyone is interested I could post my impressions when it arrives.

I have read these legs are well matched with a Acratech ultimate ball head http://tinyurl.com/j45ju , looks good, but the prices :puke: $279 PLUS another $40 odd for a QR plate :nuts:

What about this Giottos GTMT 9340B 4 section travel tripod? I was thinking of buying one for an upcoming trip to Australia. Maybe partnering it with the Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head for a little extra stability or Giottos MH7001-652. I was concerned over the 4 section legs though and the stability they would provide, otherwise the spec looks great. :thinking:

I had also heard Giottos Ball Head had limited movement compared to Manfrottos, but it was only one review.

Thoughts opinions, as I'm also in the market for a travel tripod. :)

Back