Trees on fraser island...

Edit My Images
Yes
Tree took at different angles as sun was starting to set...

frasertree5kf.jpg

frasertree26aa.jpg

I really like the first one the tree's shadow leads the eye right to it as a focal point great shot

Really like the first one also - the effect of the trees shadow effectively spreading out to cover the ground as it approaches the end of the frame is great, gives a great wide-angle effect despite being taken in a large expanse.

The second shot I dont really like TBH - think its the composition rather than anything else, the subject could be great just not from that angle.

Great first shot though, thanks for sharing:thumb:

Cracking 1st shot. Due to the simplicity of the shot plus textures available it also lends itself perfectly to Mono conversion....hope you don't mind

frasertree5kfbw.jpg

lends itself perfectly to Mono conversion

Wow, doesn't it just. Cracking shot.. great process. :)

DJW said:
Cracking 1st shot. Due to the simplicity of the shot plus textures available it also lends itself perfectly to Mono conversion....hope you don't mind

frasertree5kfbw.jpg

Very nice conversion Dave

What method did you use ?? mind sharing the details with us. :clap:

No probs :)

- Convert to B&W via channel mixer set at RED 100% & monochrome box ticked. This will usually give highest contrast shot
- Levels - Some space at far left so pulled left slider in to meet start of histogram. This ensures the darkest blacks are present.
- Levels - Moved central slider until Photo had correct exposure to the eye.
- Slight sharpen

...& that was it. From playing with B&W conversions for a while I have found less is more...so use channel mixer first, then levels, possibly S shaped curve & then sharpen if required.

Hope that helps..... in fact have a go with colour shot above & see what effect you can achieve.

Oh there was one extra tweak I had to do, because the sky started to pixelate. So I used square selector for sky area & blurred slightly to get rid of pixels. You normally wouldn't have to do this.

Cheers for that Dave.....yea I'm gonna have a go (Just waiting for the Curry to arrive though :D ) Thanks for the comprehensive reply ........

One question red at 100%..... do you leave the rest at 0 % ??

Normally yes...although you can play with all different form of combinations & they don't always have to add up to 100% (you end up with under ./ over exposed as required)........ you can get some eerie IR effects ;). 90% of time I am happy with RED at 100%.

love those long shadows on the first shot, have to admit it, I do prefer it in B&W tho.

great first shot.
Dave, you have a border there that i am asking about in tutorial section, care to wander over.
cheers

Boon, borders are done as an "action" similar to Steve's, although I just use expand canvas each step with either black or white.

Back