Trevellas Cove - Cornwall

Two very nice shots, liking both of these very much.(y)

George.

Beautiful work, the first pips it for me as I'm a sucker for a portrait landscape and those colours are just stunning.

Trevellas is a bit special to me anyway as it's where my family came from, my Gran's ashes are scattered up on those cliffs. You don't see it in pictures often but it really is a lovely bit of coast.

Beautiful work, the first pips it for me as I'm a sucker for a portrait landscape and those colours are just stunning.

Trevellas is a bit special to me anyway as it's where my family came from, my Gran's ashes are scattered up on those cliffs. You don't see it in pictures often but it really is a lovely bit of coast.

Thanks! I hadn't been to Trevellas before but it looked interesting from Google maps and I wasn't disappointed, it's a gem. It's a bit of a tight squeeze through the stone gate posts at the top of the track and we drove out in a different direction to the way we came in and the road is incredibly narrow and the low hanging tree made for an interesting exit - great fun!

I like two

1 is very obviously graduated with an overly light foreground relative to the rest of the scene
2. Much better although a slightly warmer wb would be more natural.

Well, for the first image, I think I used a 0.9 grad which balanced the image correctly. I haven't done a great deal of PP so it is what it is, and actually, it is what it was. The large foreground boulder was quite pale and almost white if I remember correctly, it was certainly difficult to expose for the whole scene without a grad or bracketing. The second image was taken a while after the sun had set so the colours are of course going to be cooler and relatively blue. Warming them up would be less natural in that case.

Well, for the first image, I think I used a 0.9 grad which balanced the image correctly. I haven't done a great deal of PP so it is what it is, and actually, it is what it was. The large foreground boulder was quite pale and almost white if I remember correctly, it was certainly difficult to expose for the whole scene without a grad or bracketing. The second image was taken a while after the sun had set so the colours are of course going to be cooler and relatively blue. Warming them up would be less natural in that case.

1. The grad has done a great job of darkening the sky - but also the surround cliff and possibly the very top part of the beach next to the sea.
2. I would only have done maybe 100-200k warmer, look at the large rock 2nd from the bottom on the corner - maybe even a localised adjustment - it's a tad cool. Otherwise this is a very good image,

1. The grad has done a great job of darkening the sky - but also the surround cliff and possibly the very top part of the beach next to the sea.
2. I would only have done maybe 100-200k warmer, look at the large rock 2nd from the bottom on the corner - maybe even a localised adjustment - it's a tad cool. Otherwise this is a very good image,

Fair enough but I don’t agree with the first critique. I’m shooting into the sun. I am quite careful with grads and it would have been angled to avoid darkening anything I didn’t want affected as is clearly visible in the sky. I wanted the stack silhouetted to compliment the offshore one. There’s a lot of detail available in the raw file which would be easy to adjust, I just chose not to lift the shadows in LR. Maybe the vignette? Although I don’t think it is ott either? Subjectivity is always interesting

I think that unless you process images immediately after the capture - and even then the light is going to change quickly - you are reliant on memory and creativity. I have no problem with either to be honest. I’m more interested in the final image.

I have no problem with either to be honest. I’m more interested in the final image.

So is @SFTPhotography , which is why he is saying the shaded side of the sea stack that has been reduced in exposure by 3 stops is unnaturally darker than the ungraduated foreground rocks, particularly the shaded sides of them. Your second image, with less contrast in the sky and no direct light has the above horizon and foreground rocks exposed closer together...

It's a very nice image and I fully accept your point about processing it how you want to process it, but the fact you can 'see' the effect of the filter, means for me that element hasn't been completely successful. Just like if you could see the artefacts of bad blending that would also be unsuccessful for different reasons.

So is @SFTPhotography , which is why he is saying the shaded side of the sea stack that has been reduced in exposure by 3 stops is unnaturally darker than the ungraduated foreground rocks, particularly the shaded sides of them. Your second image, with less contrast in the sky and no direct light has the above horizon and foreground rocks exposed closer together...

It's a very nice image and I fully accept your point about processing it how you want to process it, but the fact you can 'see' the effect of the filter, means for me that element hasn't been completely successful. Just like if you could see the artefacts of bad blending that would also be unsuccessful for different reasons.

The assumption here is that the ND grad was set level with the horizon and affecting the sea stack and cliff therefore technically incorrect? It wasn't is the simple answer as I mentioned above. I think @SFTPhotography made the same comment elsewhere on this forum about the recent lovely Elgol image too? I'm not going to comment further to be honest... it was just a capture from a moment in time that has now passed.

Last edited:
The second one is the winner for my, stronger lead in even though it take the eye to the rock on the left. Spot on with the water movement too.

Back