Tri-X and Kodak HC110

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Anyone tried this combo, and at what dilution?

I usually use D76/ID11 1+9, but I like the idea of HC110 due to it's fantastic shelf life (if you use the US based syrup style concentrate).

Thanks.

Is that 1+31 from which concentrate? The European one (Cat. No. 501-0541) or the US style syrup in the smaller silver bottle?

PS.. I've requested this be moved to talk film... posted here accidentally.

From http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Note:
In Europe, HC-110 is also sold in 500-mL bottles as a less concentrated syrup which you dilute 1:9 to make dilution B. If you are using that product (Kodak CAT 500 1466),follow the instructions for the European concentrate, not those for the syrup. Although the European type of HC-110 is sold in England, there does not seem to be an English data sheet for it. Full-strength syrup is also sold in Europe so make sure you know which one you have.

Done a bit more research to put your mind at rest.

5010541 replaces1408988

But, if you look at the item you have bought it states 5010541

Kodak HC-110 Developer (Makes 1 L)
By
Kodak
Item: 153-726N
Mfr: 5010541

I think in all likelihood.... they've just used the wrong image, as that can clearly be seen that it's not 501-0541. I'll find out when it arrives!

I don't think you can go wrong with Tri-X and HC110 - it's a classic combination. I've used it in various dilutions, down to 1:100 semi-stand and they all worked fine.

I'll see how it compared to D76, which has been my preferred dev for around 30 years now. No idea why... but I fancy a change :)

Done a bit more research to put your mind at rest.

5010541 replaces1408988

But, if you look at the item you have bought it states 5010541

Kodak HC-110 Developer (Makes 1 L)
By
Kodak
Item: 153-726N
Mfr: 5010541

OK... Calumet had the wrong image as suspected.

DSC_5813.jpg

No idea why calumet said "Makes 1 litre" as it clearly doesn't.. it IS 1 litre already :)

I'm still not clear as which is which though, as the EU version is 501 1446. Where did you see that 501 0541 is the replacement for140-8988? Not that I doubt you... I'd just liek to have that as a resource.

So... is this the same as yours? How are you diluting to get Dilution B? 1+31?

Last edited:
I'm glad that's cleared up. Well, nearly.

How long as you devving Tri-X for with HC110 (1:31)? Kodak reckon 3.75 minutes. That has to be wrong.. it just has to be. I've read the Covington page thing, and they reckon so as well, with good reason.. however... what DO you dev it for at 1:31? I can't believe the old and new emulsions are so different - 7 mins down to 3.75 minutes.

I use the Massive Dev. Chart as a start point.

I personally dev tri-x for 6 mins.

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I'll start at 6 and see how I get on. I may move to higher dilutions for compensation later... but the small amount of syrup needed is a worry. If I'm doing 3 rolls at a time it's no biggy, but Dil.E for one roll is cutting it fine at 6ml.

I think you can get a special blunt (non-injecting) syringe, folk at the LD meet were talking about starting at 3 ml of syrup...

I think you can get a special blunt (non-injecting) syringe, folk at the LD meet were talking about starting at 3 ml of syrup...

Got loads of them. The type for feeding babies medicine.. or animals.

Back