Trial shot in studio with a Kodak Autographic 3A

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Ive recently started using an old Kodak pocket camera that I was given for my college work, trying to get that old feel in more 'fine art' type images. This is from the first proper attempt in the studio, made using a paper negative, 30 full power flashes to get this exposure at f45:

6842517939_a0d69885ac_b.jpg

at first the imperfections you can see in the paper backdrop were annoying, now I quite like them, add something to the feel of the image with the vintage inspired tones. Just need to try and get the distance right to sharpen it up a tad now.

C&C appreiated

Given the age of the camera ( c1918 - 1927 if I'm correct) then that's quite an impressive resulty.
Some will say the imperfections on the backdrop are a distraction...personally I could live with them.
Not sure you will get it much sharper going on my experience with similar cameras....one thing to bear in mind is many of these cameras won't focus at short distances. 10 ft being a typical minimum....I think its as low as 6ft for this particular model!
Have you tried the camera outdoors yet?

That was at about 3 feet from the subject, thanks for the comments. I've had it outside yes, once I got it working properly that was the first test. Heres a couple of the outcomes:

In my kitchen using light from the window:
6673243167_5ec6b035b8_b.jpg

An old schoolhouse near where I live:
6869016353_5c9840fc26_b.jpg

Well it looks like it's light tight which is good news.
The 3A is one of the kodak folders that I don't possess but it looks like the focusing distance is adjusted by extending the bellows to the relavant distance plate on the base plate.....forgetting to adjust the focusing distance on my folders is something I do regularly and end up with OOF shots!
The graffiti on the last shot appears to be sharp but soft elsewhere...perhaps you only used a shallow DOF ??
I think the 3A has facility to attach a tripod......Not a bad idea as even if it has a 1/100 second fastest shutter speed, camera shake is always going to pose an issue.
Have you got a remote shutter release for it??
You can often pick them up cheap on fleabay.
Another bit of advice...If you use it in cold/damp conditions outside, don't store it folded closed without airing it at home in ambient temperature for a few hous/overnight otherwise you risk mildew growth on the bellows.
Looks like you're already having some fun with it.....I'm looking forward to seeing some more results that you get!

Was looking at a similar camera today at a local antiques market, another Kodak about 1/3 the size, shutter worked perfectly, good condition and baffles looked in tact but seller wanted £75!

Was looking at a similar camera today at a local antiques market, another Kodak about 1/3 the size, shutter worked perfectly, good condition and baffles looked in tact but seller wanted £75!

I can't really say wether the price of £75 was fair or not without knowing the exact model of camera but many kodak folders ( and other makes as well) can be picked up reasonably cheap. Sometimes the 620, 616, 116 film formats go cheaper simply because the film is no longer available but present day 120 film can be modified to work so don't be put off if you come across a bargain. Just be sure you have a take up spool for the camera!

if it had be around £30 I would have snapped it up, looked really cool. I keep meaning to make a spool up and run some 120 through mine, but content with paper negs just now.

Back