Tried my Hand at Ice Hockey

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these at a local ice hockey match. found it really hard to get a good picture and the right white balance, the ice kept turning out orange, what do you think?

Ice_Hockey_482_compressed.jpg

Ice_Hockey_912_compressed.jpg

Ice_Hockey_239compressed.jpg

You might need to over-expose by a stop to get those whites whiter than white. Failing that, just shoot in RAW and correct the WB afterwards. Ice hockey is hard. You need a high ISO, long lens with a wide aperture. I think you need a lens that's got at least 200mm of reach to really get in with the action.

It would be nice to see the shots a little larger, the forum rules allow you to post up to 800px on the longest edge.

The shots look a bit out of focus to me :shrug: as Mark says, you really need to shoot in RAW to allow you to correct the white balance, although it doesn't look too bad in No2. As captures I'd say you've done a good job of getting nice action shots. No2 is my favorite :)

Thanks for the feed back, That was with a canon 400d and a canon 70-200 f2.8 L is usm lens so it must just be me that needs the practice and the editing. cheers

Back